Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Beastie Boys album in the works!

Old 01-11-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Beastie Boys album in the works!

From Beastie Boys :

New album in the works...
What's up with the Beasties? The band has recently setup a new recording studio, and have begun working on their sixth studio album - the first since Hello Nasty (1998). At this stage, they've got some nice beats down, but have not yet completed any full tracks for the forthcoming release. Further updates will be posted here as they become available
Old 01-11-03, 01:11 AM

[Cartman] SWEEEEETT!! [/Cartman]
Old 01-11-03, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will see something by the end of the year.
Old 01-11-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let's hope so. Beasties are SLOW in making their records. OTOH, I still listen to Paul's Boutique.
Old 01-11-03, 12:02 PM
Cool New Member

A couple of months ago I heard that they were out digging with Prince Paul and Dan "The Automator" Nakamura, and were planning on having them help out on this album.
Old 01-11-03, 01:57 PM

How cool would it be if they just made an oldschool style CD similar to license to ill. They are great and changing there style is what has kept em around for so long, but another license to ill would be phat!
Old 01-11-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by josuff247
How cool would it be if they just made an oldschool style CD similar to license to ill. They are great and changing there style is what has kept em around for so long, but another license to ill would be phat!
I was thinking along the same lines as you, except I was thinking more like Paul's Boutique. That would be cool if they went "backward" rather than "foward".
Old 01-11-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope it's better than Hello Nasty--that was such a disappointment to me that I actually sold it used.

With any luck they've worked the "P.C." crap out of their systems.
Old 01-12-03, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm keeping my expectations for this very low. I love the beasties, but their whole attitude has changed. Hello Nasty was their weakest performance yet. And the last time i even saw the Boys was on an MTV awards show 3 years ago, accepting an award for lifetime acheivement, and rather than THANK PEOPLE for the award, they went on a filibuster about the violence at woodstock 99. Thanks for the lecture guys, you didn't sell out at all.

In fact i commented that If the beastie boys from '86 were present at that awards show they would have kicked the '99 Beastie Boys' asses.

I'm actually surprised they updated their site, it stayed untouched for like 2 years.

I'd love to see something Like Paul's Boutique, or Ill Communication. 2 of the greatest CD's of all time.
Old 01-12-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ill Communication was okay, but was kinda disjointed to me. I much prefer the flow on Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique. I'd really like to see Adam Y. And Mario go off on their own and seriously break into jazz, at least for a few albums. Personally, I think the Beasties need to go the way of the Beatles, and start doing solo stuff.
Old 01-12-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Ill Communication was okay, but was kinda disjointed to me. I much prefer the flow on Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique. I'd really like to see Adam Y. And Mario go off on their own and seriously break into jazz, at least for a few albums. Personally, I think the Beasties need to go the way of the Beatles, and start doing solo stuff.
Wasn't BS2000 AdRock's solo project? When I heard it, I thought it sucked, but I do think that Adam Yauch could definitely go solo. I'm not so sure about Mike D, though.
Old 01-12-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I was trying to be nice.

I think Mike and AdRock would fall flat on their faces solo (AdRock kinda has already). Some of BS2000 works, the only problem is that 99% sucks so hard you can hardly make it through the cd. Mike doesn't care about music, he just wants money. Let him have his clothes line.

Wow. I just did a search on Mario C. and got some stuff I never knew. Maybe this is old hat for you other Beastie fans out there, but I guess I'm just not that hands on. Any way...
What many fans may not realize, is that Mario C, Money Mark, and Mike Nishita were friends and band mates long before any of them worked with the Beastie Boys. Mario and Money Mark were in a late 1970s band called Phaze2 which is mentioned briefly in Issue #2 of Grand Royal Magazine. Later in the 1990s, Mark & Mike Nishita along with Mario and their friend Bill had a band called the Jungle Bugs.

Mario first worked with the Beastie Boys on Paul's Boutique, although most people associate this project with just the Dust Brothers production. For a more detailed must read on the topic of how it all started, the online Ignite interview with Mario is a must read. After Paul's Boutique, Mario and the band built G-Son Studio is Atwater Village, California and began working on Check Your Head. Following the releases of Check Your Head, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty, Mario would often tour with the band to make sure the perfect Beastie sound was maintained on stage as well as it was in the studio.
So of course, now I'm wondering if there is any Phaze2 or Jungle Bugs material available out there.

The way I see it now...
Mario's got the overall vision down, and can get stuff to gel.
Money Mark's solo stuff has been cool, but lacks sustained direction. The tracks are too short to get into. By the time you're groovin' on one, it's over, and the next "hip retro sample" has begun already.
Adam Yauch seems to really dig the jazz elements on Check Your Head and Ill Communication, or at least he's a good actor in the videos. I don't have any notion of the input he had in writing the "in between" instrumantals on Check Your Head, but I would imagine it was a good portion.

I'd seriously like to see Mario, Mark, and Adam Y. cut some jazz records together. I think Mark knows what's groovy, Adam's got the soul down, and Mario would know how to put it all together in a sustained flow that could really produce some killer ****.

But then again, I wouldn't turn down a new Beastie Boys album either.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 01-12-03 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I honestly think "Money" Mark Nishita has put out better stuff in the past years than the Beastie Boys. Mark's Keyboard Repair is absolutely fantastic, 'Maybe I'm Dead' is an awesome single, and his Japanese dual mini-cd release of The Bedroom Demos has some real cool stuff in there too (including some tracks that could be qualified as garage by some).

to Money Mark.
*yawn* to the Beasties (post 1995).