Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

When I tell people I listen to Progressive Metal, why do I get strange looks?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't anyone know what Progressive (or "Prog") Metal is? People ask me what I listen too and then they have to ask "what's that?" Then I have to try to explain it. I basically say its a "grown up" form of metal.

Dream Theater would probably be the best known, but there are so many other great bands, mostly from Europe, that, when I mention their names, people are just like; "who?".

Some may not catagorized these the same, but bands like Symphony X, Vanden Plas (for whom I am a Moderator of their message board at www.faroffgrace.com ), Blind Guardian, Angel Dust, Angra, ..... the list just goes on and on.

This form of music is so great (but still very underground) and it really needs to get out so that we don't just get the same Creed wannabes over and over.

I saw Symphony X w/ Blind Guardian last month in Detroit and it was a great show.

C'mon you rockers, try something new. I'm sure glad I did.
Old 01-07-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen Dream Theater 4 times, and there's no way I'd characterize it as "grown up" metal.
Old 01-07-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: When I tell people I listen to Progressive Metal, why do I get strange looks?

Old 01-07-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
I love the new metal coming (mostly) out of Europe. I really think this style of metal could catch on in the US if radio would get up off its computer-programmed, clear channel ass and actually play some of it. It's well written, serious music with some real talent behind it.
Old 01-07-03, 08:33 PM

Can you explain it to this guy->

p.s. It's best that it stays "Underground", you don't want it to get too popular and become 'commercialized'
Old 01-07-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Try Cyanide Breed (www.cyanidebreed.net)

A friends band, they sound a lot like At The Gates, they're a mix of black and death metal but clearly have a bigger black metal influence.
Old 01-07-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Can you explain it to this guy->

p.s. It's best that it stays "Underground", you don't want it to get too popular and become 'commercialized'
Bull! I would like nothing better than to see a group like Blind Guardian be popular enough to sell out arenas around the country. I want to see Hammerfall t-shirts on every long haired kid in the mall. Screw that indie-cred crap.
Old 01-07-03, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Bull!
Hugerbuckle!
Old 01-07-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Progressive Metal?

What's that?
Old 01-08-03, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
I've seen Dream Theater 4 times, and there's no way I'd characterize it as "grown up" metal.
Its more mature and sophisticated, compared to the generic rock of the bands MTV plays (when they actually play music).

How would you describe it then?
Old 01-08-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because it's not the trend of the day. Most kids now a days are raised on MTV and that's all they know. Not only have they probably never heard of prog rock/metal-but they wouldn't understand the concept of an artist basing their career on actual musical talent-as opposed to image, airplay and dance moves.
Old 01-08-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Hugerbuckle!
Dagnabbit!
Old 01-08-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm confused. Are Maiden, Slayer or Anthrax kiddie metal?
Old 01-08-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flashback
I'm confused. Are Maiden, Slayer or Anthrax kiddie metal?
No, but they are not prog.
Old 01-08-03, 09:02 AM

I'm catching Opeth in a few weeks on their US tour, I can't wait. They are much in the progressive death metal vibe though, they don't hit those Blind Guardian/Symphony X highs.

I'm getting The Odyssey in a few days, how is it?
Old 01-08-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
I love it! It is my favorite CD of theirs.
Old 01-08-03, 10:01 AM
Cool New Member

Those are some great bands you mentioned!

Unfortunetly, the average person can't look beyond the radio and/or MTV for the musical needs.

There is a strange perception (especially here in the U.S.) that radio and MTV actually seek out talented groups for exposure. I've heard several people say 'If that band was any good they would be on the radio' when I speak of bands like Blind Guardian.

I guess people just aren't clued in that radio and MTV is mass market music, which is far more image based, as opposed to being based on musical quality.

Mark
Old 01-08-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heeeeeheeeeheee I like Disco music.

Old 01-08-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Snowmaker
No, but they are not prog.
Are you trying to say that Iron Maiden are less profound or "mature" than Dream Theater??

I'll never understand why people bother with labels. What is even worse though is people arguing about a band being in one genre or another. Oi.

-matt
Old 01-08-03, 04:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I dislike the term "progressive metal." It's a bit pretenious if you ask me.

I also hated the term "alternative" when that was hip. Everything's an alternative to something.
Old 01-08-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by raithen
Are you trying to say that Iron Maiden are less profound or "mature" than Dream Theater??

-matt
No, but their music is not as sophisticated or complex as Dream Theater's.
Old 01-08-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by Snowmaker
No, but their music is not as sophisticated or complex as Dream Theater's.
I disagree

Iron Maiden have VERY sophisticated songs.

Dream Theater is a wannabee RUSH BAND that's called "PROGRESSIVE" just because the bassists uses a SIX STRING BASS
Old 01-08-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
I'm catching Opeth in a few weeks on their US tour, I can't wait. They are much in the progressive death metal vibe though, they don't hit those Blind Guardian/Symphony X highs.

The Odyssey is an awesome disc. If you liked any of the others at all, you should love this one. It's heavier than V, but (in my opinion) that's not a bad thing.

I so want to see the Opeth/Lacuna Coil tour. Unfortunately, the only show near me is 6 hours away in Chicago, and on a Monday (and I have too many deadlines at work to take the day off)

Enjoy the show!

On topic: It can be pretty frustrating having to explain what it is that you're talking about all the time when you say that X is a prog metal band.

About the only way I can think of to describe prog metal is that it's metal played by people who have been formally musically trained, and aren't afraid to show it.

While at times, I'd like it to be more commercially accepted, I think the kind of "family" of fellow prog fans that's engendered by its being a more underground genre would be destroyed if the music were more mainstream. The big hurdle that I see is that the average prog metal song clocks in at 8-20 minutes. Good luck getting a radio station or *shudder* MTV to play that in its entirety as the artist intended. Just listen to the radio edits of Dream Theater's "Take the Time" or "Pull me Under".....horrid.

Last edited by edclem; 01-08-03 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Just for you dude.....

LACUNA COIL Tour Cancellation: The Official Statement - Jan. 7, 2003

LACUNA COIL have officially dropped off the forthcoming North American tour with OPETH and PARADISE LOST (as first reported here last night).

The following is an official statement from the group's label, Century Media Records, regarding the cancellation:

"Italy's LACUNA COIL will regretfully be unable to participate on the upcoming '4 Absent Friends' tour with OPETH, PARADISE LOST, and TAPPING THE VEIN due to the untimely processing of their immigration paperwork, which has effected many touring bands from abroad since September 11th, 2001.

"LACUNA COIL are making every effort to return to North America as soon as possible to promote their album, 'Comalies', and are actively seeking another touring option for early spring/early summer."

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-08-03 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never met a progrock fan in real life. You weirdos are all over the internet though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.