Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

When I tell people I listen to Progressive Metal, why do I get strange looks?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

When I tell people I listen to Progressive Metal, why do I get strange looks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: When I tell people I listen to Progressive Metal, why do I get strange looks?

I think progressive metal is more music for musicians, professional or hobbyist. Bands like that are popular in guitar magazines and to music equipment store employees, they don't really appeal to the average person.

I'm speaking from an American point of view, of course, it's obviously different in other countries. I know progressive bands are all over Europe and Japan and are very popular, but those countries seem to be more open-minded with music. Those countries also seem to encourage being involved with music and the arts and don't treat it as something "that won't make you any money when you grow up so don't waste your time with it!" <--- most American parents, therefore they can appreciate musicianship better.

Which seems to be why popular American culture loves their music simple i.e. punk, rap/rock, hip-hop, techno, Elvis, etc. Americans seem to appreciate the image ("Man they look cool!") and lyrics ("They're singing my life, man!) instead of the musicianship ("Man that's some gnarly guitarwork!!")

Well, that's my objective take on it anyway.

I don't really like bands like Rush or Dream Theater because the vocals are annoying, but I can appreciate what they are doing. At least they have loyal, rabid fan bases. They'll still be around when bands like Limp Bizkit come and go and the kids put their CDs in the Used CD bin when they're graduating college.

"It has too many notes!" - Emperor Joseph, AMADEUS

Last edited by darqleo; 01-09-03 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Just for you dude.....

LACUNA COIL Tour Cancellation: The Official Statement - Jan. 7, 2003

LACUNA COIL have officially dropped off the forthcoming North American tour with OPETH and PARADISE LOST (as first reported here last night).
well, that sucks. They're a fantastic band that gets basically no exposure in this country.
Old 01-09-03, 01:45 PM
Banned

8-20 minutes for an average prog metal song? Sorry boys but I just do not have the patience for that. And the American thinking of "Don't waste your time with music cause it aint gonna pay the bills" well thats true. There's only so much you can do with a guitar anyway.
Old 01-09-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Re: Re: When I tell people I listen to Progressive Metal, why do I get strange looks?

Originally posted by darqleo
I think progressive metal is more music for musicians, professional or hobbyist. Bands like that are popular in guitar magazines and to music equipment store employees, they don't really appeal to the average person.
Maybe, but I can barely play the radio, let alone an instrument, and I think it's great stuff.

I agree about your point about people liking simpler fare. The best description I ever heard of Bruce Springsteen was "He's the most mediocre man who ever lived, and he's been elevated to godhood for it."