DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   For people who saw G&R live + Appetite for Destruction question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/261528-people-who-saw-g-r-live-appetite-destruction-question.html)

Rypro 525 01-04-03 04:33 PM

For people who saw G&R live, and Appetie for Distruction question

I just got done watching the reformed G&R perform at the 2002 VMA's, and it seemed like Axl hd a voice problem. But then I noticed that he kept on holding his ear like there was an audio problem or that he had problems hearing. If you saw the band live, was his voice that bad, or was it a vocal problem.
Also, I just bought the Appetite for Destruction CD (I know, I know) today. I had gotten what I thought was the edited version of the cd since both places I went to only had the edited version. But to my surprise, all of the language of the album was in tact. Now there were two versions of the edited version there. There was one with a big sticker on the front mentioning the singles with no pa sticker, and there was one with nothing on the cover. (I know there is an explicit version, since I have seen this album in stores before). Did I get lucky with my verison, or is there something bad about the artwork inside the cover. (mine is only the 1 page fold. And if there is something bad, what is it, since I want to know.

I know I had another thread similar back around the VMA's but that one got into a G&R bashing thread, so I didn't want to bring it back.
Any info would be helpful.

GuessWho 01-04-03 05:26 PM

I have never ever heard about the music being censored. Perhaps the "edited version" doesn't have the pic inside of the woman who was just raped by the robot/monster thing.

I saw GNR live in Nov (about 2.5 months after the VMAs)... Axl's voice was just fine, but that's what 2 months of rehearsals and other gigs will do (practice makes perfect). At the VMA's, that was prob his first time singing in a while. Vocal cords are muscles, you have to keep them in shape.

Rypro 525 01-04-03 05:31 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
I have never ever heard about the music being censored. Perhaps the "edited version" doesn't have the pic inside of the woman who was just raped by the robot/monster thing.

My copy does not have that picture (thank god in sort of a way. The review in allmusic.com states that in the edited version, the lyrics were censored and the pic in the cover were censored.

Jason 01-04-03 05:59 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
At the VMA's, that was prob his first time singing in a while. Vocal cords are muscles, you have to keep them in shape.
What about all the recording sessions he must have been doing for the 'soon-to-be-released' "Chinese Democracy" album? -ptth-

Josh-da-man 01-04-03 07:49 PM

GnR -- and Axl in particular -- have a history of wildly inconsistent performances.

Sometimes they're good, other times they're ****.

fsubruce 01-04-03 08:03 PM

I saw them in Birmingham in June of 1991 and Axl's voice was in pretty rough shape if I remember correctly. He was in a really bad mood too; stormed off the stage a few times, lectured the crowd for 10 minutes about throwing things, etc. Slash was awesome, though. It was just a few days before that riot show in St. Louis.

Flashback 01-05-03 11:23 AM

Originally posted by fsubruce
I saw them in Birmingham in June of 1991 and Axl's voice was in pretty rough shape if I remember correctly. He was in a really bad mood too; stormed off the stage a few times, lectured the crowd for 10 minutes about throwing things, etc. Slash was awesome, though. It was just a few days before that riot show in St. Louis.
Axl never had a very consistent voice live. I have seen them more than a few times and it was either hit or miss - same with what time the show would begin as well.

He also threw a fit and left the stage in 1988 at a show at Giants Stadium (Aerosmith/Deep Purple) after someone threw a shoe at him. This is the same show that Paradise City was shot at (the first half of it). Slash had to take over for a bit to calm the crowd down. Then he got pelted by a shoe. At least he laughed about it.

The censorship I always thought was the the artwork that portrayed a rape scene.