DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   peter frampton and his talking guitar, can i get this on cd or dvd? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/260659-peter-frampton-his-talking-guitar-can-i-get-cd-dvd.html)

Rypro 525 12-31-02 02:25 PM

peter frampton and his talking guitar, can i get this on cd or dvd?

i heard this song on the radio from peter frampton, it had an audience in the backround, so it must have been live, and it sounded like at certin parts the guitar was talking. now i couldnt tell if this was him on one of those computer voice enhancer systems (bon jovi uses these), can someone tell me what the song was and if it is possible to see him doing this live on one of his dvds.

palebluedot 12-31-02 02:48 PM

It's from the album Frampton Comes Alive...and you must be 10 years old because I thought everyone was issued this album when they turned 13.

He used it on a few songs on the album. Most notably is "Show Me The Way" and "Do You Feel Like We Do"

Anyway the device used is called a "Talk-box" and it is not digital at all. Basically the output of the guitar is routed to a box that has a hose that runs up to a microphone. The guitars output is routed through the hose. The guitar player has the hose in his mouth and "talks" into the microphone as he plays the guitar giving the effect. Richie Sambora uses the same thing like on Living On a Prayer".

I think there is a recent Frampton live DVD from VH1 out there and he does those songs.

Rypro 525 12-31-02 02:55 PM

this was amazingly the first time i heard the song before (nobody here plays him except so far 94.7

GuessWho 12-31-02 03:02 PM

to show how old this album is, the 25th anniversary edition of Frampton Comes alive is 2 years old :)

Richie Sambora also uses it on It's My Life, aka Living on a Prayer, part 2 (Tommy & Gina are even in it) ;)

Ginwen 01-01-03 03:49 AM

I'm pretty sure at one time Frampton Comes Alive was the best selling live album of all time, but after that he did a big time crash and burn, so you don't hear it much anymore. I think I was about 12 when it came out, so it kind of passed me by, but my 4 years older than me aunt was really into it..

jkcarter 01-01-03 11:06 AM

I remember seeing him live once a couple of years after Comes Alive, he wouldn't play any songs from that album only new stuff.
It got pretty nasty with beer cans being thrown at him, he cut the show short and walked off the stage.

I am glad to see he's getting some respect these days, as a "hired gun" (Almost Famous) he really is a fine guitar player.

whotony 01-04-03 09:54 PM

all his albums are on remasterered cd's. and as someone said comes alive is a special edition cd now also.

Rypro 525 01-04-03 11:33 PM

I'm getting the cd (Millenium classic rock party" by Rhino, which I can confirm is on it. I heard it at the bowling alley last night. Also, I still don't remeber the actuall song name.

metal 01-07-03 05:52 AM

Jeff Beck is another guitarist who used quite a bit talk box in the 70s, such as Beck Bogart Appice Live (released in Japan only), Blow By Blow, etc.

whotony 01-08-03 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I'm getting the cd (Millenium classic rock party" by Rhino, which I can confirm is on it. I heard it at the bowling alley last night. Also, I still don't remeber the actuall song name.
rypro it was said in the second post in this thread what the title of 2 songs that use this guitar technique from frampton.

also check out the dvd of frampton called 'live in detroit"

it was taped just a few years ago and can be had usually less then 20.00

it has great sound including dts 5.1 and DD 5.1.
ALSO ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN.

Heat 01-09-03 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Ginwen
I'm pretty sure at one time Frampton Comes Alive was the best selling live album of all time, but after that he did a big time crash and burn, so you don't hear it much anymore...
I saw a VH1 Behind the Music on him, it was the biggest live album of all time and led to every other musician releasing live albums in the late 70s. Some of the others were real good, some weren't.

As for Frampton, of course he couldn't top Framptom Comes Alive, and his later stuff was not that good, though he did have one or two more hits (I think).

el_jer 01-09-03 09:05 PM

Peter Frampton Live in Detroit DVD - One word Awesome!

It is recordered in DTS with great sound seperation and widescreen to boot.

I was never a fan until I got this dvd. It is my favorite music dvd. Even more enjoyable than the Eagles one I have.

I have another sealed copy if you are interested.

Song list:

1. Baby Somethin's Happening
2. Lying
3. Lines on My Face
4. Show Me the Way
5. All I Wanna Be (Is by Your Side)
6. If You Say Goodbye
7. Oh for Another Day
8. Penny for Your Thoughts
9. (I'll Give You) Money
10. Nassau
11. Baby I Love Your Way
12. You Can't Take That Away
13. Do You Feel Like We Do
14. Off the Hook
15. You Had to Be There
16. I Don't Need No Doctor

Rypro 525 07-15-03 03:42 PM

Question, is it possible for them to rerelease it again this time all on one disc?

Jackskeleton 07-15-03 03:50 PM

Why Rypro, you really are showing your age.. ;)

Brain Stew 07-15-03 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Question, is it possible for them to rerelease it again this time all on one disc?
:confused:

Are you refering to the 25th Anniversary Edition? If so, the stuff on the second is so-so at best, but the overall presentation is worth the $$$.

But I would hold out, I think a hybrid SACD version is coming out in August. I hope it's the Deluxe Edition and not the single album.

Rypro 525 07-16-03 06:33 AM

I was refering to the regular edition

Brain Stew 07-16-03 06:49 AM

Well either way there is an SACD hybrid version coming out shortly, so wait until that comes out. Baby I Love Your Way in 5.1 :D!

Deke Rivers 07-16-03 07:48 AM

Originally posted by jkcarter
I
I am glad to see he's getting some respect these days, as a "hired gun" (Almost Famous) he really is a fine guitar player.

Check out some of his guitar work on when he was with Humble Pie ..specifically on Live AT The Fillmore. It rungs rings around that pop crap he played when he went solo..especially Frampton COmes Alive