DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Question about "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/259720-question-about-very-best-fleetwood-mac.html)

Daytripper 12-26-02 10:30 AM

Question about "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac"

First, what a fantastic compilation. Even better than the box set (IMO). For two reasons. The fact that the CD is enhanced with interviews, videos and making of their new album (which sounds very cool btw). Also, I'm noticing different musical arrangements on many of the songs. And vocals. "Silver Springs" for example. It has a completely new vocal tracks. At least towards the end. I have the original B-side single. Which is also on "The Chain" box set of course. This is definitely not that same version. Did they pull these vocals from the vaults from the original recordings? And did "spruce" up certain tracks adding music here and there? It definitely makes the songs feel fresh. And doesn't ruin the original at all. Thumbs way up!!! And yes, this was a Christmas gift. Hence the late mini-review and question.

atlantamoi 12-26-02 10:58 AM

Hmmm, I wouldn't think if they re-recorded the vocals that they could improve. I was listening to "Tusk" recently, from a late-80's CD release, and the quality was simply incredible. No way THAT one could be better.

Daytripper 12-26-02 11:12 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Hmmm, I wouldn't think if they re-recorded the vocals that they could improve. I was listening to "Tusk" recently, from a late-80's CD release, and the quality was simply incredible. No way THAT one could be better.
No, they definitely did *not* re-record these vocals. They are clearly from the era the tracks were originally recorded from. You can especially tell on the vocals by Stevie. Mainly because her voice has become deeper over the years. I think they went back to their original recordings and lifted other "takes" from the recording sessions. Which makes this CD a must have even for those who have everything else the band has done. Gives the old material a new twist ;)

too much 12-29-02 08:30 AM

"The Chain" has alternate takes for most of the "Rumours" songs. I did notice a few songs that sounded different on this collection (although some again are alternate takes, mostly from "Rumours"). The only odd thing on this collection is leaving out "Oh Well" from their interesting live and leftovers "live" album (that you would never no exists by the page referring you to other cds by Fleetwood Mac) and instead giving you good leftovers from "the Dance" concert. I am a huge fan, so these leftovers are appreciated, but it's hard to understand the decison of choosing "Go Insane" as a track instead of choosing a Fleetwood Mac song. The booklet is nice with it's alternate photos. Still, highly recommended.

redhenry 12-30-02 12:16 AM

I think there might be some remixing too..I have Rumours on DVD-A and Second Hand News, Never Going Back Again especially sound different (2nd hand news is also about 15 seconds longer in the outtro) and they are not new versions, just cleaner mixes which sound new.

BTW Silver Springs is included on the DVD-A of Rumours..Sweet!
AND they were all remixed for DVD-A by Richard Daschut from the original master tapes so the same might go for the new Best of collection.

Terry
Australia