DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   RIP Joe Strummer of the Clash 1952-2002 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/259216-rip-joe-strummer-clash-1952-2002-a.html)

El Talon Del Monstruo 12-23-02 05:11 AM

RIP Joe Strummer of the Clash 1952-2002

LONDON (Reuters) - Joe Strummer (news), frontman for British punk band the Clash and a major influence on a whole generation of rock bands, has died at his home in western England at the age of 50, a spokesman for the singer said on Monday.

"Joe died yesterday at his home in Somerset. We do not yet know the cause of death, but an autopsy will be forthcoming," the spokesman told Reuters.

Strummer, born John Graham Mellor in Ankara, Turkey, made the raw anger and protest of aggressive punk music a worldwide phenomenon with hits like "London Calling" and "Should I stay or Should I go?"

Sometimes described as rebels with a cause, the Clash fused a variety of musical styles with tough political messages that brought punk to the mainstream and cracked the U.S. market.

Strummer also enjoyed a successful solo career after the Clash broke up in 1989, dabbling in acting and writing music for films.

dglaser6 12-23-02 05:39 AM

Just heard the news.

:(

funkyryno 12-23-02 06:04 AM

This really, really sucks. All my old punk favorites are dropping off like flies. First it was Joey, then it was Dee Dee. Now it's Joe Strummer.

I'm kicking myself for not seeing him the last time he was in town. His music with the Mescalleros was great.

Dubya 12-23-02 06:37 AM

I saw this on a newsgroup board before I went to sleep last night and figured (hoped?) it was fake news. I checked here first thing and see this post :( I was really looking forward to seeing The Clash perform one last time at the RRHOF induction ceremony. It's sad to say but hopefully the news of his passing will cause more people to discover the music of "the only band that mattered."

atlantamoi 12-23-02 06:43 AM

Oh, crap. No! This is really very sad news. This has hit me harder than any of the other celeb deaths I've heard about in the past few years. I was just watching a Clash documentary last week and have been listening to their CD's since then. I was sooo into thinking how wonderful it would be to see them perform at the ceremony... and I also read that Mick Jones and Strummer recently DID perform together for the first time since the early 80's.

I realize that his glory days were well behind him, but as someone who was affected by this band as much as any other I find this awful news.

Josh-da-man 12-23-02 06:54 AM

Well, ****.

What a lousy way to start the holiday week. :(

JLJanis 12-23-02 07:36 AM

Yeah, that really sucks. I cannot even begin to speculate as to how many times I have listened to London Calling in its entirety over the years... RIP.

Pointyskull 12-23-02 07:59 AM

Damn - I just heard this morning on the way to work...

Joe and Mick (Jones) were like my Lennon/McCartney, and The Clash was the equivalent of The Stones or The Who in terms of passing on to me the real meaning of rock and roll.

The other night a friend and I were recalling memorable concerts we had been to over the years, and for me the finest moment was a Clash show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago (circa 1979 or 1980, I believe). It was completely exhilirating, and in the following years I have never seen a live show that captured the same degree of pure, unadulterated energy.

Peace out, Joe........
Thanks for the memories.

atlantamoi 12-23-02 08:17 AM

12thmonkey, that's really cool you saw them in that time-era. I know some would consider the beginnings of the Clash as the best time for them, but for me it is clearly "London Calling". To have seen them on that tour would have been near the top of a very long list of live concerts I've attended.

My wife and I are spending the week in Jersey and will be hitting NYC today. We plan on going by CBGB's for fun. It's weird watching my musical heroes pass on (Ramones, Strummer).

Pointyskull 12-23-02 08:31 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I know some would consider the beginnings of the Clash as the best time for them, but for me it is clearly "London Calling".
Without a doubt, London Calling is one of the finest rock records ever made.

dek 12-23-02 08:37 AM

Damn :(

Jepthah 12-23-02 08:39 AM

This sucks.

The Antipodean 12-23-02 09:37 AM

:( First the Ramones, now the Clash. If Elvis Costello falls down dead before he gets inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame next year, I'll know there is no God.

grunter 12-23-02 10:15 AM

Damn it all.

Why? Why? Why?

Johnny Zhivago 12-23-02 11:10 AM

Thank you Joe...

Turd Ferguson 12-23-02 11:45 AM

I'm taking the Xmas music out of my changer today, and going to listen to my 3-disc Story of the Clash set from end to end.

People still don't understand how great the Clash was. The Sex Pistols were a poor marketing gimmick, but the Clash WERE what punk was meant to be. I remember a friend of mine's story of going to see them open for The Who back on their first "farewell" tour in 82'. He said half the crowd left after the Clash's set was over. No need to stick around. The real rock show was over.

R.I.P. Joe...

B.T.W. I hope VH1 reruns their Legends episode and HBO digs up Joe's appearance on Reverb.

Flashback 12-23-02 02:04 PM

Sad indeed. RIP Joe Strummer. The Clash are definitely one of the greatest bands of all time. 50 is too young to pass away but the music will live on forever.

Jackskeleton 12-23-02 03:07 PM

Sucks. :(

dfriedland 12-23-02 06:36 PM

Westway to the World," a two-hour documentary on the Clash, will air on MTV2 Tuesday at 11 a.m. ET/ 8 a.m. PT and Wednesday at 12 midnight ET/ 9 p.m. PT.

atlantamoi 12-23-02 07:23 PM

dfriedland, that's a great documentary. Near the end you can see the frustration on Strummer's face when he talks about how the Clash ended (kicking Jones out). I really think he wanted the band to continue. Too bad they didn't. (not counting that "Cut the Crap" album he released as the Clash)

Burnt Alive 12-23-02 09:06 PM

There's been a Clash marathon in my CD player all day today.
Now playing: Spanish Bombs

mllefoo 12-23-02 09:23 PM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Without a doubt, London Calling is one of the finest rock records ever made.
I'm mourning my lost childhood for more reasons these days. All my music idols are dropping, and all way before their time.

Rock the Casbah, Joe.

Trigger 12-24-02 02:18 AM

Ralph Wiggum 12-24-02 04:58 AM

A terriffic and underrated musician.

The Clash were head and shoulders above everyone else in punk as songwriters and musicians IMO.

invisigoth 12-24-02 06:05 AM

MTV2 showed numerous Clash videos and a lot of concert footage last night. Very sad news, indeed. :(