Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Joe Strummer of the Clash 1952-2002

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP Joe Strummer of the Clash 1952-2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I've never been a Clash fan, but I've always had respect for them. Joe Strummer was one of a kind, and he will be greatly missed. I hate to see people go before their time like that.

I've lost a lot of my musical idols as well. (Randy Rhoads, Phil Lynott, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Carr, etc...)
Old 12-25-02, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Westway to the World documentary they showed on MTV2 yesterday was so good. I can't believe how much grief I'm feeling. I'll never stop listening to Joe and The Clash.

btw- I just ordered the director's cut of "Westway to the World" $11.99 shipped at deepdiscountdvd, if anyone's interested.
Old 12-25-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"On the route of the 19 bus, we hear them saying..."

The Clash got me through high school, along with several others of course, but London Calling was one of my top 3 most played, and as someone else said, all the way through played, albums throughout high school. I'm listening to it now...

I never got to see The Clash, or Joe for that matter, but did get the chance to see Paul Simonon with Gary Myer and Havana 3 a.m., back somewhere in the early 90's. The high point was at the end of the show when they played The Guns of Brixton and Spanish Bombs, and of course Paul sang...

My bud who was at that show with me, the one single Clash soul-mate throughout the years, recently moved to NYC a few years ago, and had been telling me how Joe had this new band that would play semi-regular at one of the bars up there, and I'd have to take another trip up there, and we'd have to go catch the Mescaleros...

I always - always always always looked forward to the slim possibility that they would get together for one last tour, maybe even cut a new record. That possibility may still be there, but it won't be the same...

I remember when they were on Saturday Night Live, and for the second set, Mick came on alone with his guitar and a boombox. He placed the boombox on a straight-backed chair, hit play, and started playing Straight to Hell (I think)...

When they do get inducted to the RRHOF, I think they should play, and set a silent boombox on a chair for Joe.

The Clash
London Calling
Sandinista!
Combat Rock

...all in regular rotation on my cerebral turntable.

"He only wanted more time away from the darkest door,
But his luck it gave in as the dawn light crept in,
And he lay on the floor"

R.I.P. Joe - thanks for the heart.
Old 12-25-02, 08:56 PM
Banned

Too bad ROLLING STONE magazine did their year end issue with 2 weeks left in the year already. Now it'll never be on record that he died in 2002.
Old 12-26-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
As if Rolling Stone set "the record" of what happens in the world. People still read that?
Old 12-26-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I just found this out three days late - this totally sucks.

RIP Joe Strummer - I'll always enjoy listening to you.
Old 12-26-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I think about it, I really believe that I've listened to either the Clash or Joe's solo stuff at least every month since 1985.

While it is most definitely sad, I think Joe had gotten himself in a pretty good place. I saw him in Boston in 1999, and there was such a good vibe at the (jam-packed) show. He was completely interspersing Clash hits with new stuff----comfortable and proud of his past, but really looking forward at his new musical directions. I read an interview where he said he had really lost his confidence for quite a while after the Clash broke up, and he was just regaining it. His new music had a warmth and humility that he never really showed with the Clash, IMO. As mentioned, I saw that Mick had joined Joe onstage recently at a benefit concert in England for the Firefighters Union, and they played a few Clash songs. And I think that he had certainly gotten the well-deserved critical acclaim for his work, (even if he never made much money). And finally, at least he passed away in the presence of his family, and not in some lame rock and roll cliche death----he was never one for that kind of thing . While the body of work produced by the Clash ranks up there with any band in the history of rock, I'm also thankful that we got to hear a slightly more mature side of Joe with some of his post-Clash stuff.

What a d@mn great rock and roller.

"Maybe I wanna see the wheat fields/over Kiev and down to the sea

There is a rose that I want to live for/ For all God knows, I may not have met her"

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 12-26-02 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-29-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine got me into the Clash about 5 years ago. They quickly became one of my top 10 favorite bands and still are today.

I got to see Joe Strummer (and the Mescaleros) play in LA a few years ago. It was a good show. He played a few Clash songs.

Sad news indeed.
Old 12-31-02, 03:01 PM

This really sucks !
2 Ramones & a member of The Clash gone forever meanwhile bands like Limp Bizkit continue on.
Its terrible.
Old 01-08-03, 02:35 PM

Its been more than twenty years since I saw The Clash play at Bonds in NYC. They really were a great band.
Old 08-19-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: RIP Joe Strummer of the Clash 1952-2002

http://dyingscene.com/news/joe-strum...lage-building/

Joe Strummer memorial mural removed from East Village building

We’ve got some sad news for you today. The famous Joe Stummer memorial mural that has been a landmark of the East Village in NYC since 2003 is no more.
The building that housed it, at the corner of East 7th St and Avenue A, is being renovated, and the workers obliterated it today.

Rumor has it Niagara, the bar whose wall the mural graced, plans to recreate it, but that’s not confirmed.
Old 08-20-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd have paid extra just to have that as my wall.
Old 08-20-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Damn. Last year by pure chance I happened to stay in an apartment for a weekend that was right next to it. Grabbed a picture.