DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Frank Black's best songs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/258771-frank-blacks-best-songs.html)

BJacks 12-20-02 03:11 AM

Frank Black's best songs?

I've been listening to Frank Black's "Los Angeles" for like an hour straight. What a great song. What else of his should I be listening to? Pixies, The Catholics, doesn't matter to me.

dglaser6 12-20-02 05:17 AM

pixies:

surfer rosa & come on pilgrim - import cd
doolittle
bossanova
trompe le monde

or you could start with death to the pixies, the pixies greatest hits cd. but all pixies cd's are worth getting.

i never got into his solo stuff outside of his first album, but they might be good as well.

cdollaz 12-20-02 08:19 AM

Los Angeles is a great song, and just about anything off of Teenager Of The Year.

GuessWho 12-20-02 08:50 AM

never heard of him

GoVegan 12-20-02 09:30 AM

Anything written by Black Francis.

I also loved his first solo album, but it seemed like the filler rate jumped quite a bit after that. There would still be one or two fantastic songs on each album, along with a bunch of mediocre songs. I haven't heard the two albums that just came out, though.

subbacultcha 12-20-02 09:50 AM

"Teenager of the year" is phenomenal. "Cult of Ray" is only slightly less appetizing.

Actually...if you like "Los Angeles" you really should check it all out.

Mediocre....sheesh....please.

Meatpants 12-20-02 10:09 AM

Pistolero and Dog in the Sand are great FB&TC records.

Teenager is my favorite FB album.

Doolittle is my favorite Pixies album, although the BBC record is really good too.

The new frankblack.net has a lot of good info including an FTP site.

GoVegan 12-20-02 11:33 AM

Originally posted by subbacultcha
Mediocre....sheesh....please.
Mediocre isn't really the right word for it. I'm not saying they're bad, they just didn't grab me the same way most Pixies songs did. I'd still rather listen to what I referred to as mediocre Frank Black songs than turn on a top 40 station.

I should probably just stop comparing his recent work to the Pixies, but that's kind of hard to do, because I love the Pixies. I literally have an original copy of every officially released Pixies song (except for the Sound Waves EP which included Rock A My Soul.)

So, what did you think of the two new albums? Everyone that I've talked to has loved them, but I haven't picked them up since they're on my christmas list. :)

subbacultcha 12-20-02 01:00 PM

I literally have an original copy of every officially released Pixies song (except for the Sound Waves EP which included Rock A My Soul.)
Color me impressed....and way beyond extremely jealous!!!

You can't compare the two.....that's the same fallacy as comparing a McDonald's burger to a nice thinly sliced veal steak.... oops, sorry :D
I'm just kiddin'. Really though, how can the perfection that is/was the Pixies be held next to anything really?

Applejack 12-20-02 03:52 PM

I like the song "bullet" very good stuff.

subbacultcha 12-21-02 08:55 AM

"Bullet".....is that the one from the soundtrack to that "crime something, something suburbia" movie?

BJacks 12-22-02 05:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll pick up Teenager of the Year this week. I have to admit that I never really started listening to Frank Black until I heard "Los Angeles" as the theme song for "Late World With Zach" on VH1. Ironically, when I interviewed Zach [Galifianakis], I asked him why they changed the theme song mid-way through the season and said that VH1 never actually bought the rights to use the song and nobody realized until a few weeks in.

Meatpants 12-23-02 09:20 AM

Originally posted by subbacultcha
"Bullet".....is that the one from the soundtrack to that "crime something, something suburbia" movie?
Don't know about the soundtrack, but Bullet is on Dog in the Sand (A loaded bullet / Loaded in each one)

Snowmaker 12-23-02 10:19 PM

I saw the title and thought this thread had something to do with the show Millenium.