Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Elvis 30 #1 DVD-AUDIO

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Elvis 30 #1 DVD-AUDIO

Old 12-11-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elvis 30 #1 DVD-AUDIO

Just picked up the DVD-Audio disc for Elvis Presley's 30 #1 Hits. This thing really flew under the radar. This is Elvis on DVD-Audio and there's very little fanfare. Meanwhile, people are going crazy over Dark Side of the Moon which is 3 months away. Personally, I'm looking forward to Pet Sounds in February!

But as far as this disc goes, the 5.1 does sound pretty darn good. As one of the bonus tracks, we get In the Ghetto with all the background music muted to put all the empasis on the King's voice -- Wow -- it really sounds like he's singing right there in the room. Throughout the 31 tracks in multichannel, I'm not sure if I like the way the vocals are presented: front l/r speakers. I think I would have preferred vocals coming from the center.

There is no visual presentation on this disc. You must switch between 'titles' to access other sound modes: 2.0 Stereo, PCM 44.1khz, Dolby Digital and bonus tracks. It defaults in the 6-channel 96khz.

I overpaid for this thing at Best Buy since no one else had it and the few online sites that list are back-ordered. So I paid 24.99+tax while it has a 21.99 SRP. If you're into DVD-Audio, I'd recommend this. But it's nothing flashy, no panning around the channels. It's just Elvis coming through crisp and clear.