Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ryan Adams lays into Jack White

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or rather, in an attempt to gain any kind of press, Ryan Adams lays into Jack White. I am almost certain it's a ruse, but this is still pretty funny. I think he did the same thing with Rhett Miller a few years ago--got Rhett and Old 97s to agree to "fight" publicly.

from NME :

RYAN ADAMS has elaborated on his war with "Little Girl JACK WHITE", calling him a "f*****g ponce" and insisting he turned down the role WHITE took in the forthcoming American civil war pic 'COLD MOUNTAIN'.

The alt.country supremo wanted to know if White had answered his earlier jibes delivered in the NME. Adams says the two fell out when White became precious after hearing Adams had changed some of the lyrics of White Stripes songs he was covering in concert.

"Did Little girl White talk back?", he asked. "What a f*****g movie star. I don't have a problem with him - he started it. I know that's what you say in school. But what's he doing on the Internet seeing what's being said saying 'I see you changed my lyrics', F*****g ponce."

Hitting his stride, Adams added: "I mean, **** - I get to shop at 40 or 50 more stores for clothes than that guy does. Think of the limitations. Just buy him a gallon of red paint. I don't f*****g get it. Whatever...

"I don't really have a problem with him. Good luck to him in Romania. It's supposed to be freezing. He must be hating it. You know they asked me if I wanted that movie role and I turned it down. Anthony Minghella asked me first.

"I was up for the part first and I turned it down. You know why? Because I didn't see acting anywhere on my job application to be a rock f*****g star, you know. It's true. That's f*****g fact."

He added: "I turned it down because we were touring anyway. I was wanting to tour and do this acoustic thing. And they said 'Well you can come to Romania and we'll pay you anyway and you can have three or four lines and you get to play a banjo made out of a pumpkin.' I'm like 'f**k you man'. I make that money in two gigs. Put it this way - it didn't seem specifically that much to me. And it's three f*****g lines. Three lines in a two-and-a-half hour film. I'd rather get a gun and blow my eyeball out. And you got to go freeze your ass off. You do get to hang out with Nicole Kidman, which isn't bad. But its not like she'd be going - so tell me about your life. She's f*****g Nicole Kidman."

Jack White has yet to respond to the jibes. His spokesperson said that if he was to, he may keep it private between him andAdams.
Old 12-05-02, 04:23 PM

By the way, Adams wrote this not too long ago:

The White Stripes: Rock and Roll’s Future
by Ryan Adams
There is a brutal storm of American rock and roll tearing ass across the United States and Europe. His name is Jack. Her name is Meg. You may know them as the White Stripes.

The first time I saw them was in Austin, Texas, on a hot night in a small club where I prayed I wouldn't pass out. I did the opposite. I woke up from the longest sleep. I wanted to explode. I wanted to eat crack pipes and dance with the voodoo bones of the dead. The White Stripes do weird **** to you. They make you want to get ****ed up and make out. I made my way to that river that runs through Austin and smoked a joint and thought about how I to become a better musician, and if there was any way I could achieve anything close to the greatness I had witnessed. Since then, I never looked at my guitar the same. Hell if I've ever touched a drum the way I’ve wanted to. The White Stripes changed my life, and that means they changed the world.

The next time I ran into them was at the London Astoria. The crowd was wired. The Von Bondies opened and blew minds. They were the Stooges and the X-Ray Spex blasted backward through a jet engine.

Showtime: Enter the White Stripes. Opera. Riot. Exit the White Stripes.

I made my way backstage and was greeted so graciously by Jack that I blushed beyond recognition. He said he couldn't believe I had made the show. I was shocked he knew who I was. I thought they'd think I was cheesy because they're so hip. We spoke of Emmylou Harris and Son House. Then, there she was. Hidden behind a pile of couch and Jameson was Meg. My heart sped and her friends tugged at her sleeve like we were in a schoolyard. I had called her "maybe the most beautiful woman I have ever seen" in a magazine and thanked her for saving rock on my album credits. No reason to be shy. After awkward glances I motioned to leave and she stood, all five-foot-something and total badass. We spoke. Midwestern. Patient. Unbearably cute.

The White Stripes don't have to do a single thing to move the walls anymore. They shake my house. They break my hurricane.
Old 12-05-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So this is what they have to resort to because MTV are a bunch of douches?

Old 12-05-02, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
So this is what they have to resort to because MTV are a bunch of douches?

It's entertaining, at least. The bit about the banjo pumpkin (banjo-lantern) about made me fall on my ass I was laughing so hard.
Old 12-05-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
This guy should change his name to Richard Cranium.
Old 12-05-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the risk of sounding like an incredible lame-o, I have to ask:

What exactly is a "ponce"? And does it have anything to do with Erik Estrada?

Because if it does, I am so "ponce".
Old 12-05-02, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by bardevious

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if it isn't some term he's picked up around his British friends (he's been touring with two British girls--his violinist and cellist). He says "cheeky" alot, too, so that's why it's my guess.

ah, edited for this, from merrian-webster.com:
British : PIMP; also usually disparaging : a male homosexual

So then I was right.

Last edited by Penny Lane; 12-05-02 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bardevious

No, no, no.

That was "Ponch" or, maybe more correctly these days - "paunch."

Old 12-08-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Ryan Adams lays into Jack White

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Hitting his stride, Adams added: "I mean, **** - I get to shop at 40 or 50 more stores for clothes than that guy does. Think of the limitations. Just buy him a gallon of red paint. I don't f*****g get it. Whatever...

"I was up for the part first and I turned it down. You know why? Because I didn't see acting anywhere on my job application to be a rock f*****g star, you know. It's true. That's f*****g fact."

He added: "I turned it down because we were touring anyway. I was wanting to tour and do this acoustic thing. And they said 'Well you can come to Romania and we'll pay you anyway and you can have three or four lines and you get to play a banjo made out of a pumpkin.' I'm like 'f**k you man'. I make that money in two gigs. Put it this way - it didn't seem specifically that much to me. And it's three f*****g lines. Three lines in a two-and-a-half hour film. I'd rather get a gun and blow my eyeball out. And you got to go freeze your ass off. You do get to hang out with Nicole Kidman, which isn't bad. But its not like she'd be going - so tell me about your life. She's f*****g Nicole Kidman."
I don't even know his music but I'm definitely a fan. That's the most refreshing f***ing s**t I've heard in years. Rock on!
Old 12-08-02, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: Ryan Adams lays into Jack White

Originally posted by devilpants
I don't even know his music but I'm definitely a fan. That's the most refreshing f***ing s**t I've heard in years. Rock on!
Join the quickly shrinking crowd.