Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archive

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A thing of beauty.

I just picked it up this morning, so I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it, but from the Maiden boards I've heard people saying Beast Over Hammersmith is on par with Live After Death. And the B Sides are great for those of us that missed out on the 2 disc reissues. The large family tree scroll with the Eddie ring around it is classy. I would probably pay $15 for the shot glass alone, it's just that cool. A heavily embossed metal tin that doesn't quite sit flat :/

$60 at Circuit City. Get it while you can.
Old 11-27-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I picked it up but will probably get rid of it pretty quickly. I'm about half way thru the B-sides and I'm not really impressed so far. Most of them are cover songs, and well, I think most of the songs are pretty weak, not because of Iron Maiden, but they are just weak songs originally. The great thing about Maiden was they had a unique style and sound, and that doesn't come across on these covers. The live sets are very repititious also. Where is the material from Piece of MInd, Somewhere In Time, and Powerslave.

But, perhaps my biggest quibble is the length of some of the cd's. For example, the first Hammersmith cd is only 43 minutes long. I have a problem with box-set type sets that do not utilize the full space available, especially for the price they are charging.

I just do not feel like this set is worth the $$$ they are charging.
Old 11-27-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,886 Posts
I don't have this (yet) but I have to hand to the Irons.

When other bands put out boxed sets, they generally throw in a few rarities (demos, live numbers, B-sides and such) along with a lot of previously released material that everyone probably already owns. (KISS boxed set being a prime offender.)

At least Maiden put out a boxed set of all rare material. And it's in a nice metal box instead of a cheap cardboard thing.
Old 11-27-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
And it's in a nice metal box instead of a cheap cardboard thing.
It's metal, but it's cheap and flimsy metal.
Old 11-29-02, 08:30 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for your very honest appraisal, cdollaz. You have impacted my buying decision - at least for now.
Old 12-05-02, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$55.89 at www.deepdiscountcd.com, with free shipping... I just ordered mine, woo hoo!
Old 12-05-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,886 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
It's metal, but it's cheap and flimsy metal.
It's not solid pewter (I wish it was), but it's still several cuts above the Anchor Bay tins. It's fully embossed, has a hinged lid, and a reasonably hard, fuzz-covered plastic inlay.

Much preferable to the cardboard boxes that are de rigueur for boxed sets these days.
Old 12-05-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2-disk Castle Records releases, so I don't need the box.
Old 12-06-02, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Snowmaker
I have the 2-disk Castle Records releases, so I don't need the box.

Methinks you do not realize precisely what's in that box...

The first of the double CD's is entitled 'BBC ARCHIVES' and includes music recorded between 1979 and 1988 for the BBC's Friday Rock Show. Accompanied by notes from the show's long time producer, Tony Wilson, it features Maiden fronted by Paul Di'Anno and their performances at a special Rock Show studio session in October 1979 as the band were breaking onto the scene, and at 1980's Reading Festival where they appeared as Special Guests to UFO. Also documented is Bruce Dickinson's arrival in 1982 and the band's return performance as headliners at the Reading Festival. The double album concludes with songs taken from the band's record breaking capacity show at The Monsters Of Rock Donington festival as part of their 1988 Seventh Son tour. The 'BBC ARCHIVES' double CD is a testament to the live power that is Iron Maiden - no prisoners taken, no quarter given.

Iron Maiden's 1982 "Beast On The Road" tour has taken on a mythical quality among Metal fans as the tour and the album which really put Maiden at the forefront of Rock and Metal worldwide. The historical show from the Hammersmith Odeon has been specially mixed and co-produced for the casket by Steve Harris and the band's long serving sound engineer Doug Hall. This double CD, ' BEAST OVER HAMMERSMITH' clearly illustrates how remarkable and ground breaking the tour was in support of the all time classic album, "The Number Of The Beast". The accompanying inlay booklet is a complete recreation of the 'Beast On The Road' tour programme and lists all the world tour dates and includes notes from the band written at that time.

The third double CD in the set, 'BEST OF THE B'SIDES', is accompanied with liner notes written by Iron Maiden's manager Rod Smallwood to guide you through every track. In many ways it is a collection that not only reveals much about the band as individuals and the inherent character of the band, but also provides a real insight into who and where their influences came from.

For the fans among you who buy both singles and albums you will all be aware that Maiden don't simply stick on another mix of the same single or another album track for their B Sides, but they will always try and come up with something of real quality, and that is both new and different. With this in mind, the band have compiled what they consider to be the BEST OF THE B'SIDES over the years which include all the studio recordings, some of the live recordings (including cover version of songs from their heroes) as well as the occasional humorous, sideways look at themselves and those that have worked with the band.

In full, the track listing of EDDIE'S ARCHIVE is as follows -

CD 1 - BBC ARCHIVE
Disc 1
Friday Rock Show Session 1979
Iron Maiden
Running Free
Transylvania
Sanctuary

Reading Festival 1982
Wrathchild
Run To The Hills
Children Of The Damned
The Number of The Beast
22 Acacia Avenue
Transylvania
The Prisoner
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Phantom Of The Opera
Iron Maiden

Disc 2
Reading Festival 1980
Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Killers
Running Free
Transylvania
Iron Maiden

Monsters Of Rock Festival Donington 1988
Moonchild
Wrathchild
Infinite Dreams
The Trooper
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden

CD2 - BEAST OVER HAMMERSMITH

Disc 1

Murders In The Rue Morgue
Wrathchild
Run To The Hills
Children Of The Damned
The Number of The Beast
Another Life
Killers
22 Acacia Avenue
Total Eclipse

Disk 2

Transylvania
The Prisoner
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Phantom Of The Opera
Iron Maiden
Sanctuary
Drifter
Running Free
Prowler

CD3 - BEST OF THE B'SIDES

Disc 1

Burning Ambition
Drifter - Live
Invasion
Remember Tomorrow - Live
I've Got The Fire
Cross-Eyed Mary
Rainbow's Gold
King Of Twilight
Reach Out
That Girl
Juanita
The Sheriff Of Huddersfield
Black Bart Blues
Prowler '88
Charlotte The Harlot '88

Disk 2

All In Your Mind
Kill Me Ce Soir
I'm a Mover
Communication Breakdown
Nodding Donkey Blues
Space Station No.5
I Can't See My Feelings
Roll Over Vic Vella
Justice of The Peace
Judgement Day
My Generation
Doctor Doctor
Blood On The Worlds Hands- Live
The Aftermath-Live
Futureal - Live
Wasted Years '99 - Live
Now, there may be some duplication there in the third CD - I haven't reconciled the list with the Castle CDs, so I don't know - but there is nothing on the first two CD sets that is on those Castle double CDs.

Now, if you mean that since you have the Castle CDs you have plenty o' Maiden, I could understand that. Well, no, actually I couldn't.
Old 01-05-03, 10:44 AM

Share The Love?

Anyone thinking of buying this that would want to go in on a Share The Love with me....could save each of us $8. Let me know, but only if you definitely want to buy it, so we can both get the discount. Thanks

[email protected]