Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Concert DVDs inc. Dave Matthews Band & U2 [review request merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Concert DVDs inc. Dave Matthews Band & U2 [review request merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concert DVDs...

Can anyone who buys (or has seen) plenty of concert DVDs give me a reccomendation? My love for movies equals that of music, so why not combine the two I was hoping someone would be able to direct me toward a Dave Matthews or U2 DVD. Any year the concert took place does not matter, I love both bands and their music from any era. Basically an all around package; I would like a good sound track (I have a DTS capable system... if they re-produce the concerts in that way) and pretty good video transfer. Extras are a plus as well. Any good suggestions?
Old 10-24-02, 04:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really enjoyed both Rattle & Hum and U2: Elevation. DMB's Listener Supporter also isn't bad.

Do a little search, and you'll probably dig up some other concert DVD related threads.

Moving to Music Talk.
Old 10-24-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
If it's you're kind of music...check out "montage"...the Pet Shop Boys concert dvd. Spectacular video and audio (5.1 but not dts). Should find it at CC or BB, probably most other dvd sellers as well.
Old 10-24-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dave Matthews Band only has one concert DVD out, Listener Supported, previously mentioned. Their second concert DVD, Live At Folsom Field will be released on the 5th of November. LS was a great show, and the DVD is put together well. Folsom is definately a weeker show (from the Everyday tour), and the DVD is much more flashy-- tri-split screens, graphics, etc. A lot of people don't like the flashy style.

Their third concert DVD will be releaesd next year, and it will be a compilation of songs from DMB's 3-night run at the Gorge this past September.

DMB has an additional DVD released, a compilation of all their music videos, from What Would You Say through The Space Between.
Old 10-24-02, 08:55 PM

The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over
Great dts track, decent extras

Metallica: S&M
2 disc set, several songs have multiple camera angles, nice 40 minute behind the scenes documentary

U2: Elevation
another packed 2 disc set, with an unforgetable performance of "With or Without You"

Fleetwood Mac: The Dance
If you like Fleetwood Mac, you'll love this DVD. It's got a couple of tracks which aren't on the CD. The Lindsey Buckingham solos are especially impressive.
Old 10-24-02, 09:10 PM

U2: Elevation
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense

RS
Old 10-25-02, 09:06 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.. I actually own Metallica S&M, so I can obviously second that (thanks Wayne). Elevation might be next on my list. A two disc "packed with stuff" I could get into that.
Old 10-25-02, 09:16 AM

I checked online and found another DVD by Dave. Not that it could qualify as a concert CD, but I thought id mention it. It's called DMB: the Videos 94-2000. It's a compilation of some music videos they put together. I believe it's 5.1 DD (no DTS, but I could be wrong.. Best Buy describes their DVDs weird).

Has anyone seen this DVD? I dont mind watching music videos, and I have a feeling the video transfers are all good, along with the sound. Not exactly a live performance, but being a big DMB fan, maybe i should go with both.
Old 10-25-02, 12:16 PM
Banned

pantala just mentioned that at the end of his post.

It's good, but it got old for me rather quick, so I eBayed it. And I'm a pretty big Dave fan, it just didn't hold up with me. But if you find it for $15 or under, it's a good deal. Some behind-the-scenes and commentary too.
Old 11-04-02, 10:38 PM

U2, Dave Matthews DVD

any reviews so far (even though the discs are being released tomm.) on the new DMB : Live at Folsom Field, and U2: Electrical Storm?

I'd like to know if theyre worth getting over previous releases by the same bands (U2: live at boston, DMB: listener supported)

Last edited by benedict; 11-06-02 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-05-02, 12:37 AM

The U2 DVD isn't really a full concert, just a few songs.
Old 11-05-02, 02:33 PM

I just watched the U2 DVD so here is somewhat of a review.

The History Mix (7:40)
This goes through all the albums released between 1990 and 2000. It incorporates music video clips, live performance clips, and interviews.

U2 The Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD Trailer (2:27)
Trailer for the upcoming DVD release. Says it will include the videos, director commentaries, bonus tracks, and behind the scenes footage.

Please - Live Mural Cut (5:00)
This is a very good performance of "Please" filmed in Helsinki on Aug 9, 1997 during the Pop Mart tour.

Beautiful Day - EZE Version (4:04)
An alternate video for "Beautiful Day." The majority of it is video of the band playing the song in the studio. Also clips of them playing around in France.

All in all, not a whole lot but it's free so I'm not complaining.
Old 11-05-02, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by adumbc
I just watched the U2 DVD so here is somewhat of a review.

The History Mix (7:40)
This goes through all the albums released between 1990 and 2000. It incorporates music video clips, live performance clips, and interviews.

U2 The Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD Trailer (2:27)
Trailer for the upcoming DVD release. Says it will include the videos, director commentaries, bonus tracks, and behind the scenes footage.

Please - Live Mural Cut (5:00)
This is a very good performance of "Please" filmed in Helsinki on Aug 9, 1997 during the Pop Mart tour.

Beautiful Day - EZE Version (4:04)
An alternate video for "Beautiful Day." The majority of it is video of the band playing the song in the studio. Also clips of them playing around in France.

All in all, not a whole lot but it's free so I'm not complaining.
I don't think this is what he was referring to.