Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Song in Applebees commercial?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-24-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a jingle for Applebees, or is it a song?

The one that sounds like it came out of the TV show Bonanza, the only lyrics I remember are "burn, burn, burn, these rings of fire".
Old 10-24-02, 02:11 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"
(i know only b/c it was the first result in google search for "applebees ring of fire" :P )

--HN
Old 10-24-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, that's it.

Here's a 30 second clip:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...=05/source=wmf
Old 10-24-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eaaaaatttttinnnnn' goooooooood - in the neighborhoooooooood . . .

Y'mean that one?
Old 10-24-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow...none of you have ever heard "Ring of Fire" before Applebee's started using it? I thought this was one of those songs that everyone knew. If you like it, I'd suggest buying some Johnny Cash stuff...one of the few country musicians that people who hate country usually tend to like.
Old 10-28-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was "Ring of Fire" originally sung by Johnny Cash?

I was watching "The Competitor" tonight (so-so political drama, rent it, don't make it a blind buy) and in the opening scene a truck went off of a bridge, and a governor attempts to rescue the driver. The song playing on the truck's radio was Ring of Fire (garbled by the water).

The credits for the movie said that Ring of Fire was written by June Carter & Merle Kilgore, and that this version was sung by Jeff Bridges & Kim Carnes (I assume a different Jeff Bridges than the lead actor Jeff Bridges from this movie).

The funny thing is that when I think of Applebees now, I think of the image of the girl drowning while mouthing "help me" while trapped in the truck (both being linked by the song).
Old 10-28-02, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
The story of the writing of (Love's) Ring Of Fire is much better known than the title by which it was originally recorded. June Carter went on her first tour with Johnny Cash in 1962; also on that tour was singer-songwriter Merle Kilgore. On the tour and afterwards they worked on writing songs. The two lived only about four blocks apart in the Nashville suburb of Madison, and would meet each day in the late morning to write together. As Kilgore calls it ''we were grinding out songs then.'' Before (Love's) Ring Of Fire, Kilgore says several of their joint compositions "were recorded but no big hits."
June had a book of Elizabethan poetry that had been her uncle A.P.'s. and had noticed that he had underlined the words Love is like a burning ring of fire. She explained to Kilgore that her uncle would often write songs from such phrases, and suggested they try to get a song out of it. They started on the song but couldn't finish it. Kilgore's mind was on supper and they lost their creative direction. While he was on the way home, Anita [Carter] called from the studio and told June that she needed another another song for the session. June called Kilgore and told him to come back quickly so they could finish the song. Within 15 minutes of his return, they had finished it and it was promptly recorded [Nov 1962]. Billboard magazine accorded the record a spotlight pick in its country section, describing it as follows: "a most unusual tune is sold in winning fashion by the thrush who shows off her own individual and exciting style here, supported by blue grass guitar work. Could go pop, too."

Johnny Cash heard Anita's record and awoke one morning from a dream in which he had heard Mexican horns on the record. He told Anita "I'll give you about five or six more months, and if you don't hit with it, I'm gonna record it the way I feel it." In fact, he recorded it in March 1963 (with Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters singing harmony) and it became an international hit for him, starting in June 1963.

Otto Kitsinger, liner notes for "Anita Carter -- Ring of Fire" (Bear Family Records BCD 15434, 1989)