Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever had a HORRIBLE concert experience? (AKA Irvine Meadows SUCKS!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the Jimmy Buffet concert last night.

What a freaking nightmare. I haven't been to many concerts in my time but if this is a normal experience then I won't be going to many more.

Let me break it down for you:
1. Parking.
Parking was free (Yay!). We were parked 1.5 - 2 miles (no exageration) from the entrance (Boo!)

2. Entrance.
They had about 10 ticket takers. There were so many people that there was a complete MOB surrounding the entrance. People shoving, yelling, spilling beer, etc. This is good for Mardi Gras, not good for a concert where the minimum ticket price is 30 bucks. It took us 20 minutes between arriving at the mob (after our 2 mile hike) to get into the place.

3. Lawn seating.
I had never been to this place. I was expecting the lawn to extend back for a very very long ways. I was expecting at least 3-5 football fields of open space. Instead there was 1 football field worth of space. The lawn was STANDING ROOM ONLY! 30 dollars to stand around!

4. Sound.
I literally could not hear the music. With the combination of people talking and singing along all I could hear was the bass line. I could hear better from the parking lot (behind the stage). I've been to COUNTY FAIRS that had better sound. I was expecting them to have speakers out in the lawn seating. The nearest speaker stand was about 150-200 yards away. It was no louder than my clock radio alarm in the morning.

This all combined forced us to leave after only about 5 songs. Freaking waste of 60 bucks. I was pretty dissapointed because it looked like Jimmy was putting on a pretty good show. He was all over the stage talking and moving from song to song nice and quick.

Conclusions:
1. I will never EVER pay for lawn seats again.
2. I won't be going back to Irvine for any shows no matter what the seat.

Anybody else had similar experiences?
Old 10-04-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
The same for the Woodlands Pavilion in Houston. I will never sit on the lawn again. Low volume out there. I have been to shows where I can have a normal conversation at normal speaking levels and the music is nothing but background music. It's a concert dammit. Crank it up. If people do not like it loud, they can use earplugs, like I do if it is too loud. Plus, traffic sucks getting there on a week day.
Old 10-04-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Actually, I've been to Irvine Meadows 4 or 5 times, and each time it was great (mostly).

The bad (weak) sound you mentioned was due to JIMMY BUFFET's sound system. Each band brings their own sound equipment and sound people that they are touring with.

As for your ticket prices for standing room only, don't complain. $30 a ticket is cheap these days - you get what you pay for.

The parking deal, yeah, Irvine Meadows parking sucks (it's a bit of a hike, but it's not THAT bad) - and getting out of the parking lot is a nightmare (leave early, or prepare to wait a while in line to get out).

My only major complaint about Irvine Meadows is the relatively small stage. When I saw KISS there in 1996 they had to cram their stage set together in a way that it wasn't designed for to fit it in. they actually had to leave out a video screen because there wasn't enough room.

But, overall, Irvine Meadows is a fine place to see a concert.
Old 10-04-02, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Irvine Meadow is a great place to see a Jimmy Buffet concert, but you're doing it wrong. I've seen Buffet there maybe 8 times.

Rule #1-The lawn is ONLY for totally drunk, totally out of control Parrothead idiots. I used to be up there with them, but now I like to get seats. Hey, I've mellowed. You get what you pay for $30 bucks ain't bad for all of us who just want to get wasted and sing along. If you want more than that then pay up $$$

Rule #2-There is plenty of parking, IF YOU GET THERE EARLY. For an 8:00 start I typically get there around 4:30 and so do all the other drunk idiots. That gives you plenty of time to get your drink on and hang out with other buffet fans. (oh and buy tickets)

Rule #3-If all goes well, by the time 8:00 rolls around you are so loose you have no idea if the entrence is crowded or what. Yeah, the walk up to the lawn is like scaling Everest, thats why you need to drink.

Like I said if you want to avoid this you can pay the $$$ for better seats, but that's a whole different story.
Old 10-04-02, 01:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My worst concert experience was when I inadvertantly wore the shirt of the band I was going to see.
Old 10-04-02, 01:53 PM
Suspended

I saw my first ever concert at Irvine Meadows (Metallica), and I agree the lawn section SUCKS.
Old 10-04-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by B5Erik
The bad (weak) sound you mentioned was due to JIMMY BUFFET's sound system. Each band brings their own sound equipment and sound people that they are touring with.
Thats what I figured. I don't really care who's fault it was, it still sucked.

Originally posted by Pants
Rule #1-The lawn is ONLY for totally drunk, totally out of control Parrothead idiots. ...

Rule #2-There is plenty of parking, IF YOU GET THERE EARLY.
#1-This was definitley true. I think I had THE drunkest person behind me singing along. He couldn't even keep up with the words. It would have been pretty funny if I hadn't been worried he was going to puke on me.

#2 - Yeah this was a problem. I would have liked to have got there early but between coming home from work and getting a bite to eat we didn't get there until 7:30, 1/2 hour before the show started.

Like I said my lesson is learned, no more lawn seats for me.
Old 10-04-02, 02:58 PM
Banned

I've been to Buffett at Irvine Meadows (or Verizon Ampitheatre, right?) several times but only actually went in the show once. Just enjoyed the Mardi Gras, excessive drinking atmosphere and such.

Anyways, YES, always get their early. Parking was never a problem for us.

YES, the lawn sucks. Unless you want to hang out with all my annoying High School friends who are attempting to get drunk towards the point of vomiting a baker's dozen.

Otherwise, it's a great place to see a show. Go back, earlier, next year, come prepared with better seats. You'll have a blast.
Old 10-04-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Been to Irvine meadows plenty of time.

once in the pit, once in a seat, and once in the lawn.

they have good pit section, the seats are nice, the lawn is selective. lots of fires when I went. as for standing room.. should have gotten there early enough, as the time I went i was able to have my stuff out. but could have been from the massive crowd who knows. lawn seats aren't the best or even decent at all in most cases
Old 10-04-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate the lawn at Irvine Meadows (Verizon Ampitheatre). I "saw" the Blink 182/Green Day concert there. Could barely see the band (law is so far back) and the sound was horrible!!!

I pretty much decided from that point on that I would never go to a Verizon Amp. show again if I had lawn seats.
Old 10-04-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
SOunds like you had a bad experience. I was on the lawn for an Aerosmith concert on Wednesday during TWO DOWNPOURS, but it was still fun.

See here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=241102
Old 10-05-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Verizon Wireless

Do they still have the 10:00 curfew?

At the Dennis Dannell benefit in 2000, Social Distortion was only able to play about 5 songs due to the curfew.

The headlining band whose own deceased member the benefit was for was forced to play the shortest set.

Verizon
Old 10-06-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Irvine lawns SUCK and it gets COLD once the sun is down.

my worst concert experience was Guns and roses....s#itty boring show.
Old 10-06-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sigh, its sad to here people say that "$30 a ticket is cheap...". $30 for usually 2 bands, one that you probably dont want to see or have never heard of is ridiculous. What a waste of money.
Old 10-06-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
$30 got us one local band. One up-and-coming band (Must) from Boston. A 30-45 minute set from Stone Temple Pilots. They were VERY VERY good. And finally two hours from Aerosmith. They kicked ass.

Considering the venue it was in and who was playing, I though $30 was quite cheap. Now had it been Britney Spears, even though her cheapest tickets are in the $75 range, $30 would still have been too much. I'm going ot see Paul McCartney, next week. We have floor seats and paid $125 each. Is that expensive? Yes. Shoudl be be charging WAY less? Yes. But is it worth it? HELL YES! Considering he and his band mates have influenced all the music we hear, today, I do believe it is very much worth it.
Old 10-07-02, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Irvine lawns SUCK and it gets COLD once the sun is down.
Even more of a reason to start the fires

my worst concert experience was Guns and roses....s#itty boring show.
I could have told you it was going to suck just by looking at the tickets and seeing GUNS AND ROSES printed on the ticket.
Old 10-07-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Last concert I went to was a Tool concert in a small venue in Ft. Myers, Florida. It was the first "rock" type concert they had there, and it was horrible! They had the sound system turned up too loud Tool's entire set sounded distorted and horrible. I had floor "seats" which of course meant this loud, distored music was blaring out of speakers about 25 feet in front of me. Needless to say my ears were ringing for almost 3 days

This show made me rethink going to concerts like this again. I think I'm getting too old for the loud, "rock" type concerts. Give me a calmer band anyday heh. I mean don't get me wrong, I still love Tool's music, but I can enjoy it just the same (if not more so) in the privacy of my own home, and not coming out distorted from huge speakers with a bunch of obnoxious people passing joints around my head.
Old 10-07-02, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by dgmayor
The Last concert I went to was a Tool concert in a small venue in Ft. Myers, Florida. It was the first "rock" type concert they had there, and it was horrible! They had the sound system turned up too loud Tool's entire set sounded distorted and horrible. I had floor "seats" which of course meant this loud, distored music was blaring out of speakers about 25 feet in front of me. Needless to say my ears were ringing for almost 3 days

This show made me rethink going to concerts like this again. I think I'm getting too old for the loud, "rock" type concerts. Give me a calmer band anyday heh. I mean don't get me wrong, I still love Tool's music, but I can enjoy it just the same (if not more so) in the privacy of my own home, and not coming out distorted from huge speakers with a bunch of obnoxious people passing joints around my head.
Hey, I was there! I thought the music there was too low actually but I was in the back. Sucky venue. You should have gone to the one at the TG Waterhouse a year earlier!
Old 10-07-02, 01:12 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by dgmayor

The best way to experience a Tool show is to see them up close with seats. The last show I went to I was able to sit 2 rows back and it was amazing. The art visuals & the sound was absolutely great. I think you have to be prepared for war if you have floor access to a Tool show or any rock show for that matter.
Old 10-07-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Well, I'd take Irvine Meadows ANY DAY over the Hollywood Bowl. Have you ever seen a concert there? Forget parking, you have to take a bus to get there. I swear I've been in seats there that were closer to my house than the stage. Singers look like ants, no actually they look like specks of dust on the back of ants. Maybe it's OK for a symphony, but for a concert, it's the worst.

Any other Hoosiers here? Our Verizon (Deer Creek) is worse than Orange county's. It's an ampitheater built in a field miles and miles off of the freeway with only one-lane country roads connecting. It takes two hours from the freeway offramp to get in and sometimes longer than that to get out of the parking lot. I'll never go back to that awful venue, no matter who's playing there.
Old 10-07-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the Shoreline Amp. near San Jose. That ones nice. It's small too so that even lawn "seats" aren't that bad.
Old 10-07-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah...I was a Korn fan (still am to an extent) in 1997 when I saw them open up for 311...and they SUCKED. BIG TIME. I almost left it was so bad. their songs sounded nothing like their album counterparts.

Also, I saw Orange 9mm once...and they BLEW.

Specific concert venues...The Starlake Amphitheater/PostGazette Pavilion in Pittsburgh. It sucks to get to, sucks to park, sucks to get out of, and the lawn is bad. real bad. During a Pantera show, right in the middle of a song, we saw this fat (350+) biker couple just straight lay down and have sex on the lawn in front of everyone. it was foul. their reasoning? It was the song they had on when they first made love...
Old 10-07-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I've seen more concerts at Irivne Meadows than I care to remember - the first being The Cure in '83, and the last being Iron Maiden in 01'.

One thing I've learned: A concert is as good as your seats.

Lawn seats = bad concert
Pit seats = great concert
Old 10-07-02, 04:00 PM
Suspended

I'll tell you which venue sucks...The Forum in Los Angeles

If your not next to the stage, good luck hearing the band (muffled echo mania)
Old 10-07-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
I'll tell you which venue sucks...The Forum in Los Angeles

If your not next to the stage, good luck hearing the band (muffled echo mania)
Wow - that's weird. I have never seen a show there but for the Sringsteen show recently I was at the Forum during the day and talked to one of Springsteens security and he stated that they loved playing there because the sound was great. Like I said I have never seen a show there. It was cool though - I wanted to see what the Forum looked like - told him I was from the east coast and a big Celtics fan. At first he was hesitant but then took me inside to walk around a bit for a tour of the arena.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.