Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ryan Adams Concert Review

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-29-02, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to recall a few Ryan Adams fans here, so here's a little info on last night's concert in Dallas:

The stage was set up with only a couple of guitars and a piano. Ryan came out and sat in a chair at the center of the stage. He seemed a little nervous as everyone went nuts while he was setting up the guitar. He started with Oh My Sweet Carolina.

He did several songs from Heartbreakers, switching between the guitar and the piano. After a set of Heartbreaker songs, he had a cello and violin come out and play with him for several songs which were mainly Gold songs. That was pretty cool.

He did play a couple of songs on an electric guitar. He said he had to stand up for Come Pick Me Up. He couldn't sit down for that one.

The crowd was full of drunk sorority girls so I figured that they would be yapping the whole time. It was unreal how quite it got during the songs. You could hear people tapping their toes.

Surprisingly, he only played a couple of songs from Demolition. He covered Brown Sugar and Lovesick Blues.

The show was barely an hour and a half. I figured it would be a little longer. Overall, it was a great show. I would recommend catching him if he comes to your town.

Chris
Old 09-29-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like it was a good show, if a bit short. I'll be seeing him at the Ryman on October 14, so I'll let you know how that goes. I've been a bit wary about seeing him in concert at all, because I've heard horror stories about how volatile he can be from one performance to the next.

He wrote somewhere else that he would be doing some songs from the next album while he's on tour. Strange that he didn't. What songs did he play from Demolition ?
Old 09-29-02, 01:52 PM

The first time I saw Whiskeytown (around '97) there were only about 20 people at the show. Adams was obviously pissed about it and did not say one word to the crowd the entire time.

He seemed to be in a real good mood last night. Everyone went nuts when he came out on stage. He kept saying all the yelling and clapping was making him nervous.

He played Desire, Dear Chicago, and You Will Always be the Same from Demolition. Actually, I'm not sure about the last one but I think he played it. I was surprised that he didn't play Nuclear.
Old 10-02-02, 10:21 AM

Apparently, Elton John showed up at his concert in Atlanta at the Tabernacle last night. He sang "La Cienega Just Smiled" with Adams.
Old 10-02-02, 05:38 PM

I saw that review at the ryan-adams.com message board. The more I think back to Saturday's show, the more I wish I could catch a few more of his shows.
Old 10-03-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm psyched too cuz I'm goin' to Nashville to see RA at the Ryman Auditorium.

90 minutes is about all anyone plays anymore unless you see Springsteen or some of the legendary bands etc.

The Strokes only played for 45 minutes when I saw them but tickets were only about $7.
Old 10-03-02, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I'm psyched too cuz I'm goin' to Nashville to see RA at the Ryman Auditorium.

Really? I'll be there, too. Did you get good seats?
Old 10-03-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Really? I'll be there, too. Did you get good seats?

I don't have good seats but I was third row earlier this year so that's ok.

I'm just excited to be there. The guy is just plain talented.
Old 10-15-02, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I don't have good seats but I was third row earlier this year so that's ok.

I'm just excited to be there. The guy is just plain talented.
So Frank, what did you think of the Nashville show?
Old 10-15-02, 07:15 PM

Let's hear some reviews!
Old 10-15-02, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by chays99
Let's hear some reviews!
I just wrote mine for Tinymixtapes.com, but it hasn't been posted yet. I'll post a link when it is. What I can tell you now, though, is that I love Ryan's music as much as I ever did. The show, pre-encore, was very good, and Ryan is incredibly witty. I loved the bit about "Hold on, let me find the gas pedal" when he was searching for the damper pedal on the piano. The encore was awful, though. Self-indulgent and masturbatory, and him asking the guy to leave and all the taunting involved was over the top. I'll let you know more soon. Until then, tidbits and tidbits only! I can tell you that he stole my Sharpie pen, though.
Old 10-16-02, 07:31 PM

What's the story with the Bryan Adams request?
Old 10-16-02, 10:06 PM

This guy requested the song and Ryan stopped what he was doing, ran to the guy with $30, and asked him (really told him) to leave or he wasn't going to play another song. I'm surprised you haven't heard about it yet; apparently it's raising quite a ruckus with the press. I'm kindof glad I was there to see it all go down, now.

pics here
Old 10-16-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or from a non Ryan Adams fan perspective, the guy made a (admittedly unoriginal) joke, in a concert where Ryan himself had been acting like a total fool. Ryan then threw a hissy fit, whipped out his wallet, jumped off the stage, told "get the f*** out", told security to remove the guy, played a little ditty about "how it's so sad to have to leave", and just generally taunted the guy. It was completely and totally uncalled for, and it ruined what until that point was an otherwise respectable performance.
Old 10-17-02, 01:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Fan ejected for requesting a Bryan Adams tune!

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertain...1016_1356.html
Old 10-17-02, 01:57 PM

Re: Fan ejected for requesting a Bryan Adams tune!

It was pretty funny, but I couldn't help feeling bad for the poor schmuck.

Also, the story is misleading when it says Adams began "spewing expletives". He was "spewing expletives" all night. Anyone who's ever read an interview about Adams or seen him in concert knows that his favorite word seems to be "f**k".
Old 10-17-02, 06:53 PM

Yep. That sounds like the volatile Ryan Adams we all know and love. Happy one minute, pissed as hell the next minute.
Old 10-18-02, 10:20 AM

Apparently, Ryan Adams has now gone insane. He called up the critic from the Tennesean who wrote the first article about Adams "spewing expletives" and left a message on his machine. They posted it online. Here's the lovely Mr. Adams, himself:

''You're just so smart, aren't you, man? You're so (expletive)
smart. 'I'm so smart. I'm so post-collegiate with all my (expletive)
little references.' 'Punkish hardcore.' What about 'Quintessential
(expletive) band,' moron?

''What the (expletive) is wrong with you? Little redneck newspaper.
Ooh, The Tennessean. Blah, blah, blah, blah. Whatever. You wouldn't
know a (expletive) good show if it bit you in the (expletive).

''You and your senior citizen, little redneck (expletive)
(expletive). Whatever, you know? Let's like let's create it,
let's
judge it, you know? Like, 'Let's turn it into what it's supposed to
be.' But you don't know (expletive). You and your (expletive)
(expletive) paper. (Expletive) you.''

The Tennesean
Old 10-19-02, 10:14 AM

That's crazy. He gets stranger by the minute.
Old 10-19-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Not handling 'fame' very well it would seem. It's a shame because the guy has talent, but he's going to f**k himself up big time if he continues on this path.
Old 10-19-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He cuts me up like a knife.
Old 10-20-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard of him doing the $30-stop the concert-performance at two or three shows in a row. Sounds like a little skit.
Old 10-21-02, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I've heard of him doing the $30-stop the concert-performance at two or three shows in a row. Sounds like a little skit.
Yeah, CM thought that maybe he planted the guy and told him to say that. Not that someone else wouldn't be dumb enough to say it if he didn't.
Old 10-21-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alt.country singer-songwriter is offering merchandise for people to disrupt future Ryan Adams concerts.

Details at robbiefulks.com
Old 10-21-02, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by pjflyer
Alt.country singer-songwriter is offering merchandise for people to disrupt future Ryan Adams concerts.

Details at robbiefulks.com
Robbie Fulks is a great singer-songwriter, and I'd encourage anyone who likes Adams to check him out. I like him even better than Adams actually.

It sounds like Ryan Adams has some growing up to do. The music industry's already got enough spoiled self-centered whiny brats, and he's too talented to be another one. I thought he was done with these sort of antics after he settled his feud with the Old 97's...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.