Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Pearl Jam album finally has a title!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Pearl Jam album finally has a title!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Pearl Jam is a relic of an era ("90s", grunge) just as Poison is a relic of the 80s. U2 (regardless of some bad choices..........PoPMart?) are the Led Zeppelin or Rolling Stones of Gen X. Im not comparing the two, but they fit in that category. Think about it...the sixties had the Beatles, the Who and the Stones, the 70s had Zeppelin and Floyd. Then what? Im guessing U2, maybe REM. Who is "the" rock and roll band RIGHT NOW? Anyway, point is that IMO Pearl Jam is alright, but nothing to write home about.
Interesting point. However, I'd think that we'd have to wait 10 years before being able to see Pearl Jam's true impact on music and where they'd place in musical history.

I think that one could say that they're a relic of the grunge era. However, that's assuming that Pearl Jam wanted to stay as grunge. Poison is still the same band they were in the 1980s. The Pearl Jam from the Ten / Vs. era is not the same musically as the Binaural / Yield era.
Old 09-24-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by grunter
And then there are those "true" fans of U2 who get the joke - so to speak - and who can't seem to get enough of Bono in full-on "Fly" mode, yakking with pseudo-celebrities who are 13 minutes into their 15 minutes of fame.

Who knew that to be a fan of Pearl Jame meant you had to hate U2 so much? Sometimes you wonder why they don't print up and distribute hand-outs on matters this crucial.

I didn't realize I said I hated u2? I saw them on tour last year even.. and any concert of their's isn't cheap..

I just said it's sad how commercial they are, whether it's a joke or not. If it's a joke I guess I din't get it, and just thought it was them trying to get more face time.

Also, I can say they do some questionable things in my opinion, such as charging so much for tickets, merchandise etc. Sure they have a right do it, but why gouge your fans out of more money. (I guess cause they can)

I like U2, nowhere near as much as Pearl Jam though. Sorry if you took what I said as hate. It was just my personal observation.
Old 09-24-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just listened to the new Pearl Jam album...this version isn't mastered apparently, but it's is still damn good... i can't wait to buy this record...

MATT
Old 09-25-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
I still believe that NoCode was the best..
IS the best album of all time IMHO... In My Tree, Present Tense<--- those 2 songs alone would make it a 5 star album, but add in Red Mosquito, Hail Hail, Off He Goes, Who You Are, Sometimes, Smile, Habit, Lukin, brilliant spoken word in I'm Open, a bloody lullaby at the end (Around the Bend), etc... damn... I've named just about every song on the album, and I meant to just name the great ones.

As for the "They need to make more videos to boost their MTV/TRL audience" or whatever comment - PJ couldn't give two sh*ts about them.
Old 09-25-02, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by mdc3000
just listened to the new Pearl Jam album...this version isn't mastered apparently, but it's is still damn good... i can't wait to buy this record...

MATT
Really? I'm a HUGE fan, and I've been listening to the new album for a few days and don't like it at all.

And no, I'm not someone who only likes Jeremy and Betterman.
Old 09-25-02, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by JonTurner
IS the best album of all time IMHO... In My Tree, Present Tense<--- those 2 songs alone would make it a 5 star album, but add in Red Mosquito, Hail Hail, Off He Goes, Who You Are, Sometimes, Smile, Habit, Lukin, brilliant spoken word in I'm Open, a bloody lullaby at the end (Around the Bend), etc... damn... I've named just about every song on the album, and I meant to just name the great ones.
Wow, I know there are some people that really like No Code, but.....wow. I like Present Tense (especially live), a few of the others, but come on, Lukin? Habit? I'm Open?

TBH, even though PJ is my alltime favorite band, I almost never listen to their albums whole, I usually just listen to a collection of my favorite 40 songs or so.
Old 09-25-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the "They need to make more videos to boost their MTV/TRL audience" or whatever comment - PJ couldn't give two sh*ts about them.
Pearl Jam may not give a rat's ass about attracting a new audience (although I think that's attributing purer motives to the band than they themselves might actually harbor), but their record company sure does. And it's the record company that will put their butts in a sling to squeeze some more $$$ out of the band.

Market penetration of "10" is pretty much at saturation point by now - I'd think. You can't keep flogging an album (and a sound) that's a decade old, still expecting major returns from the group, without the suggestion that perhaps being a bit more media friendly (even TRL-friendly or VH1 Top 20/Storytellers-friendly, if need be) might make the coffers fill a bit more quickly.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 09-25-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to see other Pearl Jam fans recognize the brilliance that is No Code. Present Tense, Smile, Off He Goes, I'm Open, etc...

The one flaw---Mankind. But I'll let that one slide.
Old 09-25-02, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by grunter
Pearl Jam may not give a rat's ass about attracting a new audience (although I think that's attributing purer motives to the band than they themselves might actually harbor), but their record company sure does. And it's the record company that will put their butts in a sling to squeeze some more $$$ out of the band.
This is their last record under their deal with Epic, IIRC, and I read an article that said PJ may be the ideal band to break the mold and go completely independent.

Darn, I can't find the article anywhere.
Old 09-25-02, 05:07 PM

Aren't they supposedly coming out with a b-sides album before their contract runs out too, or I may be wrong. I thought they had one regular Riot Act, and 1 b-sides album or something..

I did see this on fivehorizons:

"They say the tour will start in the spring (nothing confirmed yet), with plans to play some benefits before the end of the year in Seattle, and opening for The Who in Chicago next week. They discussed the collaborative songwriting/recording process for the album and confirmed that no contract decisions had been made yet. Said the rarieties album would be released sometime next year, that it would be a double album and would include the fan club singles and a whole variety of things (they had been "cleaning house")."

But who knows what label...
Old 09-25-02, 07:27 PM
Retired

There is a B-side/rarities album coming out, but there's no release date and no info on whether it will be put out by Epic or not.
Old 09-26-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i have to agree with mdc3000, i really dig riot act as a whole...

and meatpants, i've been a pj fan since the conception, and let me just tell you, Lukin is definitely on my top 10 PJ songs list.
Old 09-26-02, 05:33 PM

So far I'm not enjoying the entire cd. There's a few songs I like on it but the rest just haven't hooked me. I'll listen to it a few more times and see if it grows on me.
Old 09-26-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not caring for RIOT ACT at all right now.

Hopefully it has to do with it being unmastered.

But I Am Mine grew on me after a lit bit.

They'll never again reach creative and performance highs like
they did on VITALOGY (their best album IMO).

Vedder just doesn't sound all that great to me anymore.
Old 09-26-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it is like "Binaural" the songs will be even better when performed live.
Old 09-26-02, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
If it is like "Binaural" the songs will be even better when performed live.
I def agree with you on this point, it was much better live, and listen to them on bootlegs much more than the released Binaural cd.
Old 09-27-02, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by mkdevo
and meatpants, i've been a pj fan since the conception, and let me just tell you, Lukin is definitely on my top 10 PJ songs list.
I know there's no accounting for personal taste, but that's honestly one song I didn't think would EVER make someone's top 10 list

Others

Bugs
Push Me Pull Me
I'm Open
Rival

Anyway, I really can't think of too many PJ songs that sound better recorded than they do live. I still think Yield is still their most consistent record top to bottom, every other album has at least two clunkers on it. Can't wait for the tour, I'm hoping my 8 (?) year member status at Ten Club gets me near the front!
Old 09-27-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bugs, yeah, that's probably the bottom of the barrel.

I have been listening to a number of the songs on Riot Act and don't hate anything but am not in love just yet. Hopefully there is mastering to be done.

Last edited by Bushdog; 09-28-02 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-28-02, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants

Anyway, I really can't think of too many PJ songs that sound better recorded than they do live. I still think Yield is still their most consistent record top to bottom, every other album has at least two clunkers on it. Can't wait for the tour, I'm hoping my 8 (?) year member status at Ten Club gets me near the front!
I've been in the club since 94 which would be about 8 years and the last time they came to town (Phoenix, 00) I was in the front row in the center. I was right in front of Mike Mcready and I caught the cigarettes that the threw out before the show. That was an awesome show. It's on the Touring Band DVD with the songs Long Road and another that I can't quite remember right now. I renewed my membership today so I won't lose seniority.
Old 09-28-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please stop comparing PJ with U2,U2 is all about money now and this is a fact total opposite to PJ,when PJ sells 75-125 dollar tickets and playing at SuperBowls for a cool mill then you can start to compare untill then U2 is all about money NOW with terrible music to go with it,I will admit there older stuff rocks with meaning now there all money grubbers,when PJ does what U2 does is the day I stop liking PJ.
Old 09-30-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard the entire album and it sounds ok. No song jumps out at me as being great though, a lot of good songs. A definete purchase though.
Old 10-01-02, 06:01 AM

"He's not a leader, he's a Texas Leaguer"

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple"

-two great lines from the Riot Act song, Bushleaguer

God, I cant wait till the tour. I went to 10 shows last year, making it one of the most exciting experiences of my life. Thank you PJ!
Old 10-03-02, 03:22 PM

Cover art for Riot Act is now out

Rad
Old 10-04-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I finally listened to it! Yay! Nothing really stood out on the first listen except for 1\2 Full, but I was doing other stuff at the same time. This is not saying I disliked it, but that it wasn't anything super spectacular. Anyway, does anyone have an extra fan club ticket they'd like to share ?
Old 10-05-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVDHO
Please stop comparing PJ with U2,U2 is all about money now and this is a fact total opposite to PJ,when PJ sells 75-125 dollar tickets and playing at SuperBowls for a cool mill then you can start to compare untill then U2 is all about money NOW with terrible music to go with it,I will admit there older stuff rocks with meaning now there all money grubbers,when PJ does what U2 does is the day I stop liking PJ.
The last thing that U2 is about is money. They type of shows U2 and PJ put on have different styles, but are essentially the same. U2 likes to use effects and gimmicks to put on a good show, while PJ uses basic sets and no effects, but the result is the same. Every fan walks away happy.

On the Zooropa and Popmart tours U2 lost money at every show, despite sell-outs and high ticket prices. Why? Because U2 fronted the money to immerse their fans in their "vision" of Rock and Roll. The only money made from those tours were from T-Shirt sales. U2 as a group have often said that they have way too much money and that they don't deserve most of it. The band is highly active in charity and their political beliefs. (Much like PJ)

The bands are quite similar if you take a close look at it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.