Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Aaron Lewis? (Pearl Jam related, sort of)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Aaron Lewis the lead singer of Staind? I've only heard the acoustic "Outside", which I liked, and about 5 minutes ago, I heard his version of "Black", which I loved (especially considering PJ are my favorite band). If he is the lead singer of Staind, is the rest of their album(s?) on par with those songs, or are they harder?
Old 09-07-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes and depending on the song. "its been awhile" is on the radio constantly it is constiered a power ballad with some language. their harder stuff is on the first album "dysfunction". the popular song on that album is called "mudshuvel"
Old 09-07-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
yes and depending on the song. "its been awhile" is on the radio constantly it is constiered a power ballad with some language. their harder stuff is on the first album "dysfunction". the popular song on that album is called "mudshuvel"
So if I didn't want the "hard" stuff, would I not be satisfied buying their albums (of which it sounds like there are two)? To give a hint, I haven't like any new bands in quite a while since they all (to me) just sound like the same three chords over and over with screaming as the vocals. Bleh.
Old 09-07-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the most recent album "break the cycle" has 4 major radio hits and are not terribly "hard", mostly acousic, "fade", its been awhile", "for you" (sort of "hard") and "outside". also if you can find the australian import, there is the live acousitc version of "outside" with fred durst. (or just get family values 99 and its the last track)
Old 09-08-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say you get both. They are both great albums and I think that if you gave them a chance you would like 'em (even the "hard stuff").
Old 09-08-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Aaron Lewis has proved that you can sing ballads and be cool.
I think he has a good voice for the type of music he sings and the power ballads just aren't around any more.
You really should give them a try.
If you want some clips to hear of all the songs,go HERE
That is the Break The Cycle (Explicit) version.
Here is the Dysfunction CD
Old 09-09-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Epiphany is probably one of the best songs I've heard all year. It's also very mellow like outside. I would definitly pick up the album, as Aaron Lewis is a very talented singer(and Staind overall is a great band). Also, Aaron Lewis does backup on a great song by the band Cold called "Bleed". Cold is a great band too, but the album would probably be a little too hard rock for people that prefer songs like outside than mudshovel.
Old 09-09-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As another Pearl Jam nut, and also someone who's liked very few "new" bands from the last 5 or 6 years or so, let me chime in...

Staind's "ballads" like Outside, Epiphany, and to a lesser extent It's been Awhile will probably suit you best... however, some of their harder songs on the album are also pretty damn good. A few of them however do sound like the generic hard rock crap that's all over the place these days. Of course the main difference between Staind and the rest of those bands is that Aaron Lewis does have a powerful voice when used properly.

Oh yeah, and I also love his cover of Black!
Old 09-09-02, 01:05 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa, Aaron Lewis did a cover of Black? You have my attention, is this something that's been officially released?
Old 09-09-02, 01:42 PM
Suspended

I like staind, but i just wish he would write about something else besides "self pitty" songs.
Old 09-09-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Whoa, Aaron Lewis did a cover of Black? You have my attention, is this something that's been officially released?
Yup. It seems to be on the Family Values 2001 CD, and here is a video of it. I found out about it by actually listening to the radio for about 10 minutes a few days ago.
Old 03-03-11, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Aaron Lewis? (Pearl Jam related, sort of)

I like staind, but i just wish he would write about something else besides "self pitty" songs.
Now he is going country.

Is he trying a new approach to get bigger album sales or did the record company force him to go country?

Kind of reminds me when Hammer did a gangsta rap album.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8t6oGJ7QDdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 03-03-11, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Both Aaron Lewis and Eddie Vedder sing with a severe 'underbite' effect, so if you like one, you'll be satisfied with the other.
Old 03-03-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think that "country" song sounds any different than any of the staind ballads - the slide guitar is the only real change, take that dude out and it's any staind song of the last 10 years. Bland.
Old 03-03-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Now he is going country.

Is he trying a new approach to get bigger album sales or did the record company force him to go country?

Kind of reminds me when Hammer did a gangsta rap album.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8t6oGJ7QDdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was thinking it was this version of Country Boy.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F3Sl_KkhSpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-03-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

The excessive tats don't exactly scream "country."
Old 03-03-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The excessive tats don't exactly scream "country.

LOL and he probably smells like cigarettes.
Old 03-03-11, 09:38 PM

Wow, as much as I've grown sick of hearing Aaron Lewis and Staind, I thought that clip was pretty damn good! Certainly better than I expected!
Old 03-03-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It only makes sense to jump to country. You can suck balls and be a country superstar. (see...well a great deal of people).

I know all kinds of white trash who like some of the worst music you could come up with, not just country, but crap rap and douche rock.

whatever respect I had for Aaron Lewis (very very small) has now went out the window...along with a Natty Light can and a wad of chew.
Old 03-05-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
Both Aaron Lewis and Eddie Vedder sing with a severe 'underbite' effect, so if you like one, you'll be satisfied with the other.

What a lazy comparison. They sound nothing alike and their songwriting is vastly different.
Old 10-07-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He already has country cred so he can attack other country artists?

During a tour stop in Colorado last week, Aaron Lewis introduced his current single "That Ain't Country" by listing, by name, the artists he believes are diluting country music.

"Sometimes the things I say get me in trouble, and I don't really give a fuck," said Lewis onstage at the Thunder Mountain Amphitheatre in Loveland, Colorado, on September 4th, where he was performing as part of the Thunder in the Rockies Bike Rally. "That being said, I want to thank a few people for inspiring me to write this next song."

The singer went on to "thank" country-radio stars from Luke Bryan to Sam Hunt for spurring on his anti-pop-country song "That Ain't Country." "Whatever happened to the country songs / full of truth and consequences, all the things gone wrong," he sings in the pre-chorus, "someone came and changed it up, made it all a lie."

"I'd like to thank Sam Hunt – oh, I know, he's so pretty to look at," said Lewis onstage. "I'd like to thank Luke Bryan, for most of his stuff – he surprises me every once in a while. I would like to thank Dan + Shay. I'd like to thank Cole Swindell. And every other motherfucker that is just choking all the life out of country music."

Aaron Lewis launches at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Country Albums chart (dated Oct. 8) with Sinner, which grants him a career-best weekly sum of 39,000 copies sold (in the week ending Sept. 22, according to Nielsen Music). Lewis lands his second leader on the list, following his genre debut with his 2011 EP Town Line (38,000 in its first week). In 2012, his first solo full-length The Road debuted and peaked at No. 7 (21,000).

Lewis continues his segue to country after scoring success as a founding member and the lead vocalist of Staind. The hard rock band has notched three No. 1s on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
http://www.rollingstone.com/country/...ountry-w439683