Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

which of the cookie cutter teen pop acts do you hate most

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: which of the cookie cutter teen pop acts do you hate most
backstreet boys
11.11%
o town (making the band )
23.81%
edens crush (pop stars)
7.94%
lfo
12.70%
nsync
11.11%
britney spears
19.05%
christina agulera
9.52%
they all suck
55.56%
other
1.59%
they all rock
1.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they must have these qualitys
1. they're manurfactured
2. they dont play there own instraments
3. they cant sing well (or they resort to lipsyncing)
4. they are all over mtv's trl

i picked "they all suck", since even though some might be good looking, that music is so bad, that i wonder what teenage girls find interesting in this music.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 08-18-02 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-18-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of all those groups Agulera is the only one that actually has some pipes, that is when she is singing decent music. When she sings "her" music or that freaking Lady Marmalade song she sounds horrible....absolutely horrid. However I have seen her do Disney stuff where she just sings it straight and doesn't over sing and she sounds great.

My vote goes to Britney...needs to go.
Old 08-18-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

forgot to mention, if you hate more than one, feel free to put down as many as you want
Old 08-18-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I really don't like any of them but I decided to choose the ones I disliked the most.

Backstreet Boys -- These guys aren't boys anymore, half of them are married and I think they're all over 30. Over the hill for boy bands. Time to hang it up backdoor boys

Edens Crush and O-Town -- Completly talentless all of them. I don't think any of the O-Town guys can actually say that they like the music that they make.
Old 08-18-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I vote for Linkin Park. I believe they are every bit as manufactured as BSB, I don't believe they actually play on their albums, they can't sing worth a ****, and they're all over TRL.

Don't get me wrong, the groups you list all suck. Agulera is the closest thing to a real talent, but in the end she'll be Debbie Gibson: The Next Generation.

I just think people need to expand their definition of manufactured pop garbage a little.
Old 08-18-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shakira is the absolute worst of the better known ones (and oddly enough, not on the poll!!!). I don't care what she did in the past, right now she is the worst of the worst. Fake image, terrible songs with terrible production and performances.
Old 08-19-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually Ive not heard many of these bands thankfully, but I know I don't like Britney so thats who I voted.
Old 08-19-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
edens crush doesnt even exist anymore. they broke up.
Old 08-19-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well thats good, just to let you know, linkin park can play and are not manurfacured after watching them perform a few weeks ago on the rock and roll hall of fame show on mtv
Old 08-19-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
edens crush doesnt even exist anymore. they broke up.
source: entertainment weekly article:

EDEN’S CRUSH (The WB's ''Popstars'')
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS First single, ''Get Over Yourself,'' hit No. 8; album debuted at No. 6; opened for 'N Sync and Jessica Simpson.
HIT ROCK BOTTOM WHEN... The band broke up after their label, London-Sire, folded in Dec. 2001. ''You can't have a band without money...,'' says Crush's Ivette Sosa, who'll choreograph and star in a musical at her father's Edison, N.J., dinner theater next month.
TIP FOR TV WANNABES Be patient. ''If it doesn't happen this time -- it will,'' Sosa promises.
Old 08-19-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually don't mind some of Britney's music....must be because she's hot.

I choose Aguilera. She's horrible, though only slightly more horrible than the rest.
Old 08-19-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Toad
I actually don't mind some of Britney's music....must be because she's hot.

I choose Aguilera. She's horrible, though only slightly more horrible than the rest.
she got worse when she decided to get the "dee snider hair style" for the moulin rouge song.
Old 08-19-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My take..

After watching Driven on VH1 this weekend, I have to give Christina more props. She has an unbelievable voice when she doesn't over sing. I don't care for her Diva attitude. But, she actually has talent. The other hacks on the list could drop of the face of the earth for all I care.
Old 08-20-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

oh damn, i forgot a few
we have p diddy's teen group dream (she loves you not), christina millian (am to pm), and the spice girls to ad to the list
Old 08-20-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Christina doesn't offend me....but the rest need to go.
Old 08-20-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that Aguilera can actually sing (when not overdoing it), but she wastes her talent on crap like "Genie in a Bottle" and such. Reminds me of Whitney Houston in that way; great pipes that try to rise above the material, but fails... (though to be fair, Whitney had a couple of good tunes)

The one person I absolutely cannot stand is Shakira. Good lord, if that's singing, then I'm a Chinese jet pilot!
Old 08-20-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's not really worth my energy to hate any of these "artists." Plus, I guess they serve the purpose they're meant to serve...which is primarily marketing-driven as far as I can tell.

That being said, it is incomprehensible to me that someone as talentless as Shakira is able to get any type of recording contract. Her performance of "Dude Looks Like a Lady" on that MTV Aerosmith tribute was absolutely horrendous, and it's saying quite a bit that she was actually able to make that song worse than it already was.

EDIT: Forgot to mention...I'm actually more offended by singers such as Pink and Avril Lavigne than I am of Britney or Christina. Pink and Lavingne's marketing blitz pretends they're "real artists" rallying against the whole teen pop phenomenon. Yeah, right. These singers are every bit as manufactured as any other teen pop act...at least Britney and NSync don't pretend their music has any sort of substance or artistry to it.

Last edited by Gdrlv; 08-20-02 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Andalusia
I agree that Aguilera can actually sing (when not overdoing it), but she wastes her talent on crap like "Genie in a Bottle" and such.
My thoughts exactly.

And just like her singing, so long as she doesn't overdo the makeup (as she almost always does), she's much better looking than Britney too... of course she can't touch Mandy in that department
Old 08-21-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Korn
System of a Down
P.O.D.
Pretty much everybody on the Ozzfest tour

They all look and sound alike and manufactered to me.
Old 08-22-02, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

LFO is no longer together.
Old 08-23-02, 11:36 AM

Christina Aguilera is extremely talented, but she really does overdo it most of the time--especially on live performances. I distinctly remember her "At Last" (Etta James song) from somewhere. Hopefully, her hiatus will result in more maturity, but she's the only one with staying power based on talent alone. Britney could follow on the heels of Madonna, and perhaps go far with smart business decisions. I'm one of the biggest Madonna fans you'll find, but I'll be the first to admit, she has gone far with limited ability.
Old 08-23-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think agulera has an album coming out thats not teen pop, we'll see if she has staying power after this album
Old 08-23-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tboogie
Christina Aguilera is extremely talented
Is she? Honestly?? You're absolutely right that she overdoes it - and that is proof in itself that she lacks the talent to know where to draw the line.

She is about as unique and interesting as a p&J sandwich, IMHO.

I'm one of the biggest Madonna fans you'll find, but I'll be the first to admit, she has gone far with limited ability.
Limited ability? Sure Madonna doesn't have the vocal range that some singers have - but since when does the number of available octaves equate to musical talent? Madonna has consistantly been able to keep herself relevant in the music scene and is quite a talented dancer and entertainer. She may not be the best at any particular skill - but she is absolutely solid in all categories of entertainment and has business and marketing savvy to boot.

Britney? Let's see if she's still around when she's 40 - making vibrant, interesting musical contributions. Personally, I doubt it.

-matt
Old 08-25-02, 11:42 PM

Has anyone noticed that Christina A. has a huge head? It's so ill-proportioned and gigantic on that tiny body. Her head repulses me! Maybe it's because her skanky anorexic body is so damn skinny.
Old 08-26-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv

EDIT: Forgot to mention...I'm actually more offended by singers such as Pink and Avril Lavigne than I am of Britney or Christina. Pink and Lavingne's marketing blitz pretends they're "real artists" rallying against the whole teen pop phenomenon. Yeah, right. These singers are every bit as manufactured as any other teen pop act...at least Britney and NSync don't pretend their music has any sort of substance or artistry to it.
Oh, come on. Avril Lavigne is a true artist. She's the new hard rock chick. She defies the system by wearing original punk/skater garb. And she is a true intellectual. Said she in last month's Maxim Blender:

"If anyone ever tries to kiss my ass, I'll tell them to 'shut the hell up!'"

Now how is that anything but profound?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.