Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Motley Crue Singer Berates Audience, Walks Out

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/1617275/deta...108162002&ts=H

Singer Reportedly Upset Fans Didn't Know Song Lyrics

POSTED: 8:38 a.m. EDT August 16, 2002

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. -- Maybe he should have played more of the old stuff.

Motley Crue lead singer Vince Neil walked off a nightclub stage in a huff -- apparently because the audience didn't know the lyrics of some of his solo numbers.

Neil was performing with a backup band in Steamboat Springs, Colo. The manager of the club says Neil played a few Motley Crue tunes, then played a few of his own. That's when it got ugly. The manager says Neil yelled some obscenities, called the crowd "losers" and walked out.

There was no comment from Neil or his lawyer.

The club's refunding the $25 tickets. The manager says he may lose money on the show, since it cost $1,200 to hire Neil.

Tonight on the 11 o'clock news "When so-so singers from an 80's hair band, go bad".

I actually thought Motley Crue was the best of the hair bands, at least thru their first couple of albums.

Chris
Old 08-16-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He was only being paid $1,200? Wow, bet that's a far cry from those spandex days.
Old 08-16-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$1200
Old 08-16-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vince, don't go away mad. Just go away...

And I agree, $1200? By next year, he'll be available for birthdays and weddings at a modest $175.
Old 08-17-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He did some solo stuff?

J/K, I have his first solo cd. but I couldn't even name one song title from it.
Old 08-17-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Motley Crue was one of the best "hair metal" bands, they just weren't stable enough to amass a great body of work. If you think about it, there were only one or two classic songs off each CD they put out.

Great artists, just not very consistent or prolific.
Old 08-17-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Just to clarify, this was NOT a Crue concert. Crue is taking a break between albums right now following the New Tattoo album & tour.

Vince Neil is on a SOLO club tour.
Old 08-17-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
...and the only solo Vince song I'd be able to sing along with is "Youre Invited but Your Friend Cant Come" since it got some airplay and MTV time due to it being in Encino Man
Old 08-17-02, 11:06 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
[triumph voice]You are a huge nerd[/triumph voice]

Old 08-18-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
He did some solo stuff?

J/K, I have his first solo cd. but I couldn't even name one song title from it.
"Queen of Pain". It was a hot video.
Old 08-18-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
The first Vince Neil solo album, Exposed, was excellent. That was in no small part due to the collaboration with guitarist Steve Stevens. Half of the album was co-written with Stevens. One of the best Hard Rock songs you'll ever hear is on that album - it's called, "The Edge," and it's got some BRILLIANT music written by Stevens, and some really solid vocal melodies and hooks written by Neil and Stevens. It is a very creative and very enjoyable song.

The rest of the album aint bad, either. The album should have sold about 5 times the amount that it actually did (especially considering that it was better than any Motley album since Shout At The Devil), but musical tastes (popular musical tastes as promoted on the radio and MTV) were changing at the time. (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden anyone?)

As for this incident, I'm a little surprised, but then again - you've got a former Arena headliner playing a club, and the crowd wasn't exactly enthusiastic from what the report said! That's enough to make any egotistical former Arena headliner frustrated! Vince just handled it VERY poorly.
Old 08-19-02, 04:13 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
Just to clarify, this was NOT a Crue concert. Crue is taking a break between albums right now following the New Tattoo album & tour.
I heard they will not reunite. Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx both have solo gigs going. Vince Neil is apparently struggling to keep his afloat and I heard that Mick Mars has no intentions of playing again.
Old 08-19-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
To quote Triumph again, "Why not just wait until next year when you can see him for free at Six Flags?"
Old 08-19-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
About a year ago, the local "Everything for a buck" store had a ton of Vince's "Exposed" CD. Probably should have picked one up, but the only thing I remembered about it was Beavis and Butthead ragging on the video.

I'll have to check and see if they still have any floating around, or if they carted 'em off to the local landfill.