Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bjork's "Family Tree" + "Greatest Hits"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-02, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From www.bjork.com:

To compliment the release of the "Greatest Hits", Björk will also release a special box set entitled "Family Tree" comprising six CDs; five 3" and one 5" of her favourite songs which in Björk's words represent "the story of how I got to where I am today and in my musical words to say how I developed as a musician".

"Family Tree", the six CD box set, will also be available from October 7th and will include tracks, some previously unreleased, taken from Björk's whole career, not just her solo career.

The "Family Tree" project will include one CD on which Björk compiles her own 12-track 'greatest hits', and a series of 3" mini-CDs divided into Roots, Beats and Strings collections.

The two mini 'Roots' discs will together comprise 10 tracks, including some Sugarcubes tracks and Glóra, a piece Björk wrote on the flute when she was 15. This CD includes tracks from Björk's career, which demonstrate where she "took the biggest leaps as a songwriter".

The 'Beats' CD, which comprises 4 tracks, displays the very first experiments in rhythm Björk did with Graham Massey and Mark Bell after leaving The Sugarcubes and gives the first hints at the importance electronica was to take in her solo work.

Last but by no means least, are two 'Strings' CD's on which Björk, for the first time, confronts and accepts the formal musical training she received as a child. These discs feature the classical arrangements of Björk's songs by the Brodsky Quartet first heard at the breathtaking shows they played together at the Union Chapel in England, in 2000.

The "Family Tree" box set will be packaged in a custom made transparent rose coloured plastic case, ingeniously configured to house the six disc set. The box will also include a 16 page lyric book, a map guiding purchasers through the "Family Tree" collection and individual packaging for each branch of the tree. This unique package, and that of the "Greatest Hits", have both been designed by the acclaimed Parisian designers 'M/M', and feature illustrations and photos by the Icelandic artist Gabriella Fri›riksdóttir.

The "Family Tree" collection will be the first collection released of it's type and promises to provide the definitive insight into the many facets which make Björk the truly individual, enigmatic and experimental artist she is. This collection will provide fans and collectors alike with a fascinating insight into the many different musical paths she has taken and into the influences and inspirations that have helped make her the artist she is today.

For Björk, no "Greatest Hits" album could be released without this sort of back up and the "Family Tree" promises to fill in all the gaps that the release of a simple "Greatest Hits" CD could never provide.

The albums will be released simultaneously on Elektra Records, One Little Indian Records and Universal on October 7th and represent the career of an artist that has continuously set precedents and broken boundaries and become the musician we know today.
Old 08-01-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any idea on what the msrp of this beuty is?
Old 08-01-02, 11:31 PM

Are those 3 inch CDs compatible with all players?
Old 08-02-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yes... Family Tree shall be mine...
Old 08-02-02, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Jerri Blank's Boy
Are those 3 inch CDs compatible with all players?

I love 3" CDs. The forgotten single format, except in Japan, where they were a hit.

3" CDs are generally playable in all CD players except in the car (where an adapter might be able to be used). Even my DVD-ROM has a groove for the 3" CD.

- Matt