Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The official new Rush album and Tour thread. Part III

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The official new Rush album and Tour thread. Part III

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a review from the Jones Beach Show:

Rush / July 15, 2002 / Wantagh, N.Y. (Jones Beach)

Even the uninitiated could probably have predicted what to expect from a Rush show at this late date: a bevy of rock radio staples, dazzling instrumental interplay, high-minded production values, and a fair share of middle-aged men singing along to every word. Indeed, all that and more was on full display last night (July 15) as the Canadian trio rolled into this waterfront venue as part of its first tour in five years.

Luckily, there were a host of surprises, from the winning showmanship of guitarist Alex Lifeson and bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee, to the inclusion of nuggets from the band's vast back catalog. And while the decision to largely ignore material from the excellent new Anthem/Atlantic album "Vapor Trails" (ostensibly the impetus for the tour in the first place) was questionable, Rush made up for it with an overall impressive and enjoyable performance.

The evening got off to a bit of a shaky start with the group's most familiar tune, "Tom Sawyer," as Lifeson flubbed a few notes and the engineers tweaked the instrument mix. But by the early '90s single "Roll the Bones," the band had kicked it into high gear, locking into the oblong groove and bringing a smile to the collective faces with the amusing mid-song rap and accompanying video of a dancing skeleton.

A thunderous rendition of the instrumental "YYZ" was easily a first-set highlight, epitomizing the collective technical proficiency of Lifeson, Lee, and drummer Neil Peart, who barely registered a facial expression all night long. Luckily, the psychedelic images on the video screen and the row of clothes dryers lined up where one would have expected Lee's amps to be helped balance the at-times deadly serious sentiments of such songs as "The Pass" and an amazing turn on "Bravado."

The first set wound down with two oldies: "Vital Signs" from the band's 1981 breakthrough "Moving Pictures," and the sidewinding "Natural Science," from 1980's "Permanent Waves." The new album's punishing lead single, "One Little Victory," resumed the proceedings in fine fashion, as plumes of fire burst forth from the stage upon its conclusion. Lifeson struggled with the umpteen different sections of "Ghost Rider," but Lee carried the load by strumming out a range of chords, root notes, and fills.

Lifeson reclaimed the thunder on "Dreamline," unleashing a sizzling solo with shades of Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. The band rocked in effortless tightness on the genial instrumental "Leave That Thing Alone," which segued into a 10-minute Peart drum solo. Two devastating personal tragedies in Peart's family (the separate deaths of his wife and daughter) nearly closed the book on Rush for good in recent years, and the drummer pounded away as if his life depended on it here, conjuring melodies and triggering samples before closing the showcase out with a hip-shaking swing rhythm that would have wowed 'em in the 1940s.

The show's final few songs set the clock back to the early days, with selections from the concept album "2112" butting up against flawless versions of "Limelight" and "The Spirit of Radio." The byzantine "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" and "Cygnus X-1, Book 1" were odd choices for the encore (what about "Red Barchetta?" Or "Stick It Out?" Or "Fly By Night?"), but early single "Working Man" served as a final reminder of the breadth of Rush's songbook.

Say what you will about Lee's notoriously high-pitched voice (he didn't miss a note all night, by the way) and the occasionally silly lyrical themes, but after 30 years, Rush still has few peers in hard rock, within its age group or otherwise. And on this night, one could wield all the rock-out moves and reclaim a little slice of adolescence without fear of hipster reprisal.

Here is Rush's set list:

First set:
"Tom Sawyer"
"Distant Early Warning"
"New World Man"
"Roll the Bones"
"Earthshine"
"YYZ"
"The Pass"
"Bravado"
"The Big Money"
"Between Sun & Moon"
"Vital Signs"
"Natural Science"

Second set:
"One Little Victory"
"Driven"
"Ghost Rider"
"Secret Touch"
"Dreamline"
"Red Sector A"
"Leave That Thing Alone"
[Neil Peart drum solo]
"Resist" (acoustic)
"2112" / "Overture" / "Temples of Syrinx"
"Limelight"
"La Villa Strangiato"
"The Spirit of Radio"

Encore:
"By-Tor and the Snow Dog"
"Cygnus X-1, Book 1"
"Working Man"
Old 07-29-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
On a side note:

I saw a RUSH video on VH1 They played "LIMELIGHT".

Did ya'll feel that chill from Hell freezing over?
Old 07-29-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giantrobo
On a side note:

Hell has not frozen over yet, if they get a "Behind the Music" THEN Hell will freeze over!

Still waiting for the third leg of their tour to be announced......

Old 07-30-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a side note:

They used to play that all the time on the Rock show...Cain would give Rush mad props...I think I saw them play Subdivisions once...

I am such a Rush/Radio nerd...I noticed that Alex was wearing his AKG's backwards in the Limelight video...

ALL HAIL KING LERXST!!!!
Old 07-30-02, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by KnightLerxst

They used to play that all the time on the Rock show...Cain would give Rush mad props...I think I saw them play Subdivisions once...

I am such a Rush/Radio nerd...I noticed that Alex was wearing his AKG's backwards in the Limelight video...

ALL HAIL KING LERXST!!!!

one radio nerd to another..I hate AKG's
Old 07-30-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

one radio nerd to another..I hate AKG's

I love my AKG's, I love the sound, and the fact that a guy at my station has had a pair since the mid 80s and they still work, unlike my Sony's which died after a year.

Hey man if it is good enough for Dirk, Pratt, and Lerxst then it is good enough for me!
Old 08-01-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How did you find out the presale password to buy Rush tickets at ticketmaster?
Old 08-01-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love my AKG's, I love the sound, and the fact that a guy at my station has had a pair since the mid 80s and they still work, unlike my Sony's which died after a year.

Hey man if it is good enough for Dirk, Pratt, and Lerxst then it is good enough for me!

but I'll bet your deaf from having to turn up the monitor with that stupid open ear design.
Old 08-01-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And while this doesn't totally belong here, I don't think it'll need it's own topic...here goes:

Anyone know anything about more Rush R1 DVDs besides Chronicles? I have the Japan R2 of Exit Stage Left, but wonder if there'll be more in America tohugh.
Old 08-01-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

but I'll bet your deaf from having to turn up the monitor with that stupid open ear design.
Actually I am not, they are the new designs...they don't run on 600 friggin ohms like the old ones...they run on 55, I don't have to go deaf...yet...

Oh and as far as the DVDs go I just picked up a DVD version of a Show Of Hands off of ebay...now here is the thing...I really don't know if this is a boot or not, the menus are animated,the presentation is nice and the seller on ebay has a long friggin rant that it is an authorized DVD and they only sell authorized DVDs (like that means jack)...anyway the video looks like it is the same elements used for a laserdisc transfer...and the sound is wierd, leading me to believe it is a boot. Still it is nice having a Rush show on DVD. If it is authorized then it is friggin wierd...
Old 08-01-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What happened to Part II??? How did we get part III but still have the number of views of part II.?? I'm not mad or anything but I have never seen something like this happen.
Old 08-07-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
The Pittsburgh show (8/6) was great! A beautiful, clear evening for a show at an outdoor venue. Tom Sawyer worked a lot better as an opener that i thought it would. It was bice to hear some different stuff, although I do think it's time to drop Roll the Bones. Loved the widescreen video screen too.

These guys just keep getting better. They really seem to be enjoying themselves, and it's so nice to see a band have fun. Alex's scat singing was a real hit, especially with the looks Neil was giving him on the video screen. Nice to see that he actually knows how to smile.
Old 08-07-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jason
The Pittsburgh show (8/6) was great! A beautiful, clear evening for a show at an outdoor venue. Tom Sawyer worked a lot better as an opener that i thought it would. It was bice to hear some different stuff, although I do think it's time to drop Roll the Bones. Loved the widescreen video screen too.

These guys just keep getting better. They really seem to be enjoying themselves, and it's so nice to see a band have fun. Alex's scat singing was a real hit, especially with the looks Neil was giving him on the video screen. Nice to see that he actually knows how to smile.
I like Roll the Bones the song, but that awful video of the skeleton has to go! The video really really needs to be redone, it was subpar back in 92 and it's waaaay subpar in 02!
Old 08-08-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ARRRRAGHGHGAHAGGHA!!! I need to vent...

1. I'm having a hard time getting GOOD tix for the Sept 21 show at VERIZON in OC Calif.

2. I just found out my buddy can't go with me to the Sept 23rd show in LA. I don't have any other friends who like RUSH

3. I have gas...but that's another thread.
Old 08-08-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ARRRRAGHGHGAHAGGHA!!! I need to vent...

1. I'm having a hard time getting GOOD tix for the Sept 21 show at VERIZON in OC Calif.

2. I just found out my buddy can't go with me to the Sept 23rd show in LA. I don't have any other friends who like RUSH

3. I have gas...but that's another thread.
I'll send you some voicetracks and you can pretend like I am there with you...

Old 08-08-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll send you some voicetracks and you can pretend like I am there with you...

On Nex Gen? Go right ahead. You could just WAN your whole show to me too.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-08-02 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On Nex Gen? Go right ahead. You could just WAN your whole show to me too.
Ah two radio nerds making jokes no one else gets...

Old 08-11-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ah two radio nerds making jokes no one else gets...

yep
Old 08-13-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rush News:

More Tour Dates!!!

Oct 10th Tampa, FL Ice Palace

Oct 11th West Palm Beach, FL Mars Music Ampitheatre

Oct 13th Atlanta, GA Phillips Arena

All the tickets go on sale this Saturday Aug 17th!
Old 08-14-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the presale password still "victory"?
Old 08-14-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Baltimore ****ing Arena baby...**** yeah!!!
Old 08-15-02, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aghama
Is the presale password still "victory"?
Yes and your tickets go on sale Today 10Am!!!!!!

RUSH – NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
NEW DATES -- FALL 2002

October
5 Mexico City, Mexico Foro Sol
10 Tampa, Florida Ice Palace
11 W. Palm Beach, Florida Mars Music Amphitheatre
13 Atlanta, Georgia Philips Arena
15 Baltimore, Maryland Baltimore Arena
16 Rochester, New York Blue Cross Arena
18 Montreal, Quebec Molson Center
19 Quebec City, Quebec Colisee
22 Toronto, Ontario Air Canada Centre
24 New York, New York Madison Square Garden
25 Hershey, Pennsylvania Giant Center
27 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania First Union Center
28 Boston, Massachusetts Fleet Center
30 Chicago, Illinois United Center

November
1 Ames, Iowa Hilton Coliseum
2 Minneapolis, Minnesota Target Center
4 Cleveland, Ohio Gund Arena
6 East Rutherford, New Jersey Continental Airlines Arena
Old 08-15-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lateralus

Yes and your tickets go on sale Today 10Am!!!!!!
Yep, unfortunately I had to get 3 tickets so the seats were roughly 4x farther back than if I had only wanted 2, but they're still pretty decent. Only 2 more months left to avoid seeing the setlist.
Old 08-15-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I drove up for the Nashville show last night, and it was incredible. It was my first Rush show and my friend's fifth. He said it was the best show he's ever seen them do. The playing was tight, and the guys seemed to really be enjoying themselves. Neil's solo was almost eight minutes long and after it was over, I had to pick my jaw off the ground. The visuals were incredible and, with the exception of the cheezy 80's "Roll the Bones" rap video, quite complimentary to the songs. I'm still trying to figure out the significance of the dryers on stage. Seeing as how we were rained on from about the middle of the second set on, they seemed to almost mock me. All in all, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen and ranks up there with the four hour marathon that was the Memphis stop of the Springsteen "Born In the U.S.A." tour.

Definitely *****/*****
Old 08-17-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aghama
Yep, unfortunately I had to get 3 tickets so the seats were roughly 4x farther back than if I had only wanted 2, but they're still pretty decent. Only 2 more months left to avoid seeing the setlist.
Glad to hear you got good seats. One question though: Does Rush sell good down there in Soutern Florida? I know Rickey Martin and others like him would sell great, Rush does not seem to be a good fit for the area. (I would not know, I'm just guessing)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.