Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember ELO? (nice clip)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electric Light Orchestra still sounds pretty good

http://www.elomusic.com/video/elopbssongfullvid_300.asx
Old 07-05-02, 04:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
And since they're still musicians this thread goes to Music Talk.
Old 07-05-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I have the DVD that clip was ripped from. Good DTS soundtrack.
Old 06-17-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talk about using the search feature....

Is anyone a big fan of ELO? I've just started getting into them lately, and I'm having an extremely hard time listening to anything else right now.

I've been a Traveling Wilburys fan for quite a few years, and I always kind of knew I'd enjoy ELO, but I just never got around to listening until about 2 months ago.

Great stuff!
Old 06-17-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my favorite bands. So many good songs. It's just ridiculous.
Old 06-18-08, 07:22 PM

The album Time is certainly in my top 10.
Old 06-18-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Victor Nettoyeur
The album Time is certainly in my top 10.
Same here. Top ten by any artist.
Old 06-18-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Been a fan from way back when. I had all their albums and listened to them constantly. I almost wore out "Out of the Blue". I would so buy a boxset of their stuff done in 5.1 audio.

Has anyone also checked out L.E.O.? It's more of a side project but even Jeff Lynne approves. Here's their MySpace page so you can check out their songs. There are nice little ELO-riffs sprinkled in. L.E.O. MySpace

Last edited by TomOpus; 06-18-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 11:31 PM

A friend of mine lent me his ELO's greatest hits. I was suprised how good the CD was, come to think of it I don't think I ever gave him his CD back.
Old 06-19-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ELO is the greatest band of all time. If you disagree with me, then we will have to tussle.
Old 06-20-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Wow. ELO love. I thought I was the only one.
Old 06-20-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Was hugely into them around 1977-1979. Even went to the huge spectacle Out of The Blue concert at Anaheim stadium. A flying saucer launched above the stage to expose the group, lasers, Star Wars characters all introduced by... Tony Curtis!

Also check out the band that they evolved from.. The Move. An amazing 60's band led by Roy Wood.
Old 06-20-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know we've had other ELO threads, but I'll chime in. I've been making Mp3 compilation discs for my wife to play in the car and we listened to a crapload of ELO recently. Damn, really sweet stuff. Even some of their later Jeff Lynne albums have wonderful songs. I loved them in the 70's, would probably not have admitted it in the 80's (haha), ignored them in the 90's and now I'm back full circle. They are awesome.

Regarding "Time". I loved that album when I was 15, but some of those tunes have dated a little bit lyrically. Still, good stuff.
Old 06-20-08, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
but some of those tunes have dated a little bit lyrically.
You mean like "I wish I was back in 1981"?
Old 04-25-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Anyone remember ELO? (nice clip)

Did not see the following posted, so I resurrected this thread for the following:

From Reuters:

British band ELO marks 40th anniversary with live album, new songs

By Iain Blair

LOS ANGELES | Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:40pm EDT

(Reuters) - Jeff Lynne and his Electric Light Orchestra, the British rock group that mixed electric guitars with classical cellos, violins and woodwind, are celebrating their 40th anniversary with new material and a slew of album re-issues.

The band had a string of hits in the 1970s and 1980s like "Evil Woman," "Strange Magic" and "Mr. Blue Sky." But by the late 1980s it had run its course, and Lynne had teamed up with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty to form another supergroup, The Traveling Wilburys.

Lynne and ELO mark the milestone of becoming a band with the never-before released "Electric Light Orchestra Live" with two new songs, and two reissues - ELO's "ZOOM" and Lynne's debut solo album "Armchair Theatre" (also with two new tracks) - all out on Tuesday.

Lynne, 65, talked to Reuters about the band's legacy, why there are no plans for touring, and old pals Petty, Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Q: Did you ever think you'd be celebrating ELO's 40th anniversary, and how special is it for you?

A: It's pretty special and a marvelous thing that my songs are still getting played after all these years. But it took me by surprise. It just sort of creeps up on you without you knowing, and when you try and think about where those 40 years went, it's hard to imagine.

Q: What can fans expect from the new releases?

A: Maybe some fans missed the albums the first time around, and "Armchair Theatre" is one of my favorite albums I did, including all the ELO ones. I love "Zoom" too, and they didn't get much of a look-in last time around, so it's a chance for fans to catch up. I'm very proud of the songs and the live one is great too - and I'm not a big fan of live albums usually.

Q: All the albums feature some additional new songs. What's the history there?

A: The two extra tracks on "Armchair" were written during the original sessions in 1990, and I never quite finished them, so I finally went back and completed the tracks recently. And "Zoom" has a new track, "One Day," which I recorded in 2004.

Q: George Harrison, Ringo Starr and Tom Petty also appear on these releases. What did they bring to the mix?

A: It was lovely to have them and it's just another energy to add to the music. And when it's musicians as great as they are, there's this buzz and it's really nice to play with people you respect and love and who're so good at what they do.

Q: George Harrison and you collaborated on a lot of projects. What are your fondest memories of him?

A: Probably the first thing we did together, his album "Cloud Nine." I actually moved into his house and lived there during the week, and then went home at the weekend. We had a fabulous time and so much fun. It was the first real producing I'd done outside ELO and so it was very exciting for me, especially as I was producing his solo album at his home studio. We became very close. And then I got to see the world with George. He loved to travel and he'd invite me to come along on these wonderful trips, so it was a magical time.

Q: Fair to say you've always been more of a studio musician than a touring one?

A: Absolutely. Once I discovered recording and production, that was my main interest. I had this little tape machine and it taught me how to make records, in the front room of my parents' house in Birmingham, England.

Q: Any plans to tour with ELO again?

A: Not really. My manager keeps saying, ‘Come on,' but once I started working in the studio, I never wanted to go on the road and play the same thing every night. I was far more interested in writing and recording new stuff all the time.

Q: So many classic rock bands - from the Rolling Stones to Fleetwood Mac and The Who - are still going strong. What's the continuing appeal?

A: It's obviously great songs that have a certain sound you just don't get now. What's amazing to me is that so many kids today are big fans, too. So many other types of music - like big band - came and went, but rock ‘n' roll-pop just keeps going.

(Reporting By Iain Blair, editing by Jill Serjeant and Philip Barbara)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...3L0X120130422I
Old 04-25-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

To answer the thread title, yes, I remember them. That's all I can say to the positive.
Old 04-25-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's obviously great songs that have a certain sound you just don't get now. What's amazing to me is that so many kids today are big fans, too. So many other types of music - like big band - came and went, but rock ‘n' roll-pop just keeps going.
An interesting point. I often think about kids today who listen to classic rock or even punk/new wave era stuff and remember when I was their age in 1979, I absolutely hated everything before Led Zeppelin.
Old 04-25-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Victor Nettoyeur
You mean like "I wish I was back in 1981"?
Yeah, I know I'm responding to a post from 5 years ago, but that line doesn't date the song at all. The song is told from the perspective of someone in the future looking back and wishing he were young again. The fact that it was released in 1981 and states that he wishes he were back in 1981 should have been a clue. It's also one of my favorite song quotes, since 1981 was the perfect year of music, in my opinion (at least for the kind of music I like).
Old 04-25-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeff Lynne..."yes, it was all about me, me, me, me, me. That is how we got the group so good"
Old 04-26-13, 01:45 AM
Suspended

So by "new songs",they actually mean previously unreleased track that was sitting around collecting dust?
"..Recording new stuff all the time"?Than why has he been such a lazy song writer for the last 20 something years?
Old 04-26-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by rider555
So by "new songs",they actually mean previously unreleased track that was sitting around collecting dust?
"..Recording new stuff all the time"?Than why has he been such a lazy song writer for the last 20 something years?
I honestly think Jeff Lynne is one of those musicians that has a giant vault full of music that will never see the light of day...a lot like Prince.
Old 04-26-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Crap, this thread made me buy this.

For that price, can't really go wrong.
Old 04-26-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shit, I got one too. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-26-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who doesn't remember ELO?
Old 04-26-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Anyone listen to L.E.O.? It's Bleu's tribute to E.L.O. and the album does have some catchy tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9g0tVr6i7Ic

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.