Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

One-&-only [legal] filesharing [inc. mp3 software] advice/discussion thread [Part II]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

One-&-only [legal] filesharing [inc. mp3 software] advice/discussion thread [Part II]

Old 06-17-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish that I could download Kazaalite!

I can't find where to download anywhere on the site.

Help.
Old 06-17-02, 09:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Kazaa Lite is unauthorized by Kazaa... meaning you won't find it on Kazaa's site.
Old 06-17-02, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, take Audiogalaxy off your list of places to go.

They settled with the RIAA today and have taken their files off of their service.

Story here:

Audiogalaxy reaches settlement....
Old 06-17-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Static -

Is www.kazaalite.com authorized from Kazaa, themselves?
Old 06-18-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

AUDIOGALAXY shut down 100%

AUDIOGALAXY is 100% down now. All functions of the system are dead.

Just wanted to let you know......
Old 06-18-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Audiogalaxy was the best to find hard to find songs. Looks like I won't be buying any hard to find albums now
Old 06-18-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. The site works, but every song is blocked. Is it gone for good?
Old 06-18-02, 12:58 AM

Here is the Link

------------------------------------

Music Industry, Song-Swapping Site Reach Deal
Mon Jun 17, 8:25 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Music industry groups, including record labels, songwriters and music publishers on Monday said they reached a legal settlement with file-sharing Internet service Audiogalaxy.com for an unspecified payment and an agreement to block unauthorized material from the service.

The Recording Industry Association of America ( news - web sites), a powerful trade group for the record labels, and the National Music Publishers Association had filed suit against Audiogalaxy in a New York federal court in late May.

The suit had charged Audiogalaxy with encouraging and facilitating online trade by "millions of individual, anonymous users" in copyrighted music.

The full terms of the quickly reached settlement were not available but as part of the deal Austin, Texas-based Audiogalaxy agreed to filter the songs available on its network and ensure that the copyright holders had consented to their use, the music groups said.

Audiogalaxy also agreed to pay the music publishers and record companies a "substantial sum" to resolve the case quickly, the groups said in a statement.

A representative for Audiogalaxy, which had been one of the more heavily trafficked file-sharing Web sites to spring up after the court-ordered shutdown of Napster ( news - web sites), could not be immediately reached for comment.

"This should serve as a wake-up call to the other networks that facilitate unauthorized copying," said Hilary Rosen, chairman of the RIAA. "The responsibility for implementing systems that allow for the authorized use of copyrighted works rests squarely on the shoulders of the peer-to-peer network."

The settlement does not require court approval, a spokeswoman for the RIAA said.

The record industry has waged and won a series of legal battles against online file-swapping services, including the high-profile case against Napster.

The music industry blames such services for encouraging consumers to conduct a massive, black-market trade in recorded music, a phenomenon it says has eaten into legitimate sales.

Napster is now controlled by Bertelsmann AG ( news - web sites), which acquired the assets of the original peer-to-peer network as part of a deal under which Napster will emerge from bankruptcy as a unit of Europe's second-largest media group.

The settlement in the Audiogalaxy case would allow the privately held service to operate what the recording industry called a "filter-in" system, essentially requiring that all music available was authorized for online sharing by the copyright holders, the music industry groups said.
Old 06-18-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

RIAA = Greedy bastards
Old 06-18-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jadasion

The music industry blames such services for encouraging consumers to conduct a massive, black-market trade in recorded music, a phenomenon it says has eaten into legitimate sales.

My ass. I downloaded a few Weezer songs a month or two ago...shortly thereafter I bought their first three albums.

Here is an idea RIAA, get your heads out of your asses and get the prices of CDs reduced, I am sorry but even 12.99 is way too much.
Old 06-18-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Same here....got lots of Oakenfold albums because of this site....so....I agree 18.99$ for a single cd....I DO NOT THINK SO!!
Old 06-18-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cds shouldn't be priced more than $10 IMHO.

Audiogalaxy was the best
Old 06-18-02, 01:28 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
The RIAA by doing this, will only spawn off more imitation sites and people will still get the music for free. They just keep alienating more and more people by their tactics...I'll just keep grabbing my tracks off newsgroups
Old 06-18-02, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by dek
The RIAA by doing this, will only spawn off more imitation sites and people will still get the music for free. They just keep alienating more and more people by their tactics...I'll just keep grabbing my tracks off newsgroups
Word. I'm so outraged by this, I'm trying to setup a direct connect hub now, but I can't connect for anything.
Old 06-18-02, 01:51 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember the days of when I worked for an ISP where all we did all day when we had lulls in the work we would load up our HD's with all kinds of MP3's from Napster. We utilized every ounce of bandwidth we had in that building (a DS3 I believe). Those were the days. Nowadays if i want something I will use Kazaa to grab a song here and there, but most of the time I will just use newsgroups. Just request what you want and most of the time you'll get the full album posted.
Old 06-18-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am not sure what are you talking about. Could you explain what do you mean by "requesting an album by using a newsgroup"? How does one do this?

Thanks
Old 06-18-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sh*t! That sucks!

Well, at least it will save me $2.95 a month (I was a gold member)
Old 06-18-02, 02:09 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
I am not sure what are you talking about. Could you explain what do you mean by "requesting an album by using a newsgroup"? How does one do this?

Thanks
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ght=newsgroups
Old 06-18-02, 03:01 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Never fret guys!

Napster went, up popped Morpheus, Audiogalaxy, WInmx and others

Audiogalaxy has gone, others will take it's place

it's the nature of the beast guys

Kazaa is a good enough alternative for now

I have to admit, i liked the fact that audiogalaxy had a lot of very rare stuff
Old 06-18-02, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
When one goes down, the flock will move to another.. and honestly.. if you were still really using audio galaxy.... Welcome to last week.
Old 06-18-02, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I hate to say this but....none of the other sites has the "catalog" AG used to have. I dont even want to mention the fact that most of the songs they offer are not the same quality. KaZaam for example has only files up to 128mb so I am not sure I could agree with you.
Besides....as OriginalDesmond mentioned I was usually off to AG to download stuff that is even hard to get from conventional CD online retailers(example: BBC Essential Mix sessions as well as the BREEZEBLOCK mix tours and so on).
I am quite a bit upset now. I think that AG was trully the best.
If you have a different opinion though feel free to share......
Old 06-18-02, 03:54 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I hate to say this but....none of the other sites has the "catalog" AG used to have. I dont even want to mention the fact that most of the songs they offer are not the same quality. KaZaam for example has only files up to 128mb so I am not sure I could agree with you.
Besides....as OriginalDesmond mentioned I was usually off to AG to download stuff that is even hard to get from conventional CD online retailers(example: BBC Essential Mix sessions as well as the BREEZEBLOCK mix tours and so on).
I am quite a bit upset now. I think that AG was trully the best.
If you have a different opinion though feel free to share......
You mean like these?

BreezeBlock - Day 10 [4/4] - "james lavelle - Breezeblock.mp3" yEnc (*/77) 53.3 Megs

BreezeBlock - Day 10 [2/4] - "Osymyso - breezeblock osymyso.mp3" yEnc (*/41) 28.5 Megs

BreezeBlock - Day 10 [1/4] - "Guy Sigsworth - Breezeblock Mix 8apr2002.mp3" yEnc (*/60) 41.8 Megs

Breezeblock - Day 9 [3/4] - "darren emerson - BBC1 Breezeblock.mp3" yEnc (*/83) 57.9 Megs

Breezeblock - Day 9 [2/4] - "arthur baker - Breezeblock Headline Set 26-11-01.mp3" yEnc (*/63) 43.8 Megs

BreezeBlock - Day 8 [1/2] - "the orb - Live @ BREEZEBLOCK, Radio 1.mp3" yEnc (*/106) 74.1 Megs

As Per Req - Wot i have [6/6] - "prodigy - Dirtchambers Radio 1 Breezeblock Session 1.mp3" yEnc (*/4) 2.7 Megs

As Per Req - Wot i have [5/6] - "liam howlett - breezeblock mix (part 6 of 8).mp3" yEnc (*/8) 5.2 Megs

As Per Req - Wot i have [4/6] - "liam howlett - breezeblock mix (part 4 of 8).mp3" yEnc (*/16) 10.8 Megs

As Per Req - Wot i have [3/6] - "liam howlett - breezeblock mix (part 2 of 8).mp3" yEnc (*/10) 6.8 Megs

As Per Req - Wot i have [2/6] - "liam howlett - breezeblock mix (part 1 of 8).mp3" yEnc (*/14) 9.4 Megs

As Per Req - Wot i have [1/6] - "liam howlett - 5 mins breezeblock.mp3" yEnc (*/7) 4.8 Megs

A few breezeBlock Sets 4 ya - Day 7 [4/4] - "talvin singh - Breezeblock.mp3" yEnc (*/81) 56.3 Megs

A few breezeBlock Sets 4 ya - Day 7 [3/4] - "stereo mc's - Breezeblock.mp3" yEnc (*/80) 55.4 Megs

A few breezeBlock Sets 4 ya - Day 7 [2/4] - "Praha (or Prague) mix on the Annie Nightingale Show 30-9-01.mp3" yEnc (*/67)
Old 06-18-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

nope....try searching the German dub/minimalistic house band Swayzek.
Old 06-18-02, 04:06 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

nope....try searching the German dub/minimalistic house band Swayzek.
Sorry, I searched for BREEZEBLOCK, I ain't wasting my time diggin for that All you have to do is request it, and if someone has it, you download it
Old 06-18-02, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey mirc users, is there any way to set up the program to automatically download files that are queued up? I'm getting a confirmation dialog before the files will download currently.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.