Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Morrissey Album?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Best Morrissey Album?
Viva Hate
17.65%
Bona Drag
17.65%
Kill Uncle
5.88%
Your Arsenal
11.76%
Vauxhall And I
29.41%
Southpaw Grammar
5.88%
Maladjusted
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Best Morrissey Album?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 01:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Morrissey Album?

My choice is "Vauxhall and I." Perhaps his most understated.
Old 06-18-02, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll second "Vauxhall and I". When Morrissey released "Kill Uncle" I thought he was at the end of the road. No way. "Vauxhall" is an amazing recording. I would think if anyone was a casual fan they could own that and the "Bona Drag" compilation and be set.
Old 06-18-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Well Bona Drag shouldn't count. It's technically a compilation of singles, not an album.

I think "Your Arsenal" is the best overall.
Old 06-18-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First vote for the first one Viva Hate, still my favorite. Bona Drag shouldn't be on there. Vauxhall is a close second for me though.
Old 06-18-02, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sherm42
Well Bona Drag shouldn't count. It's technically a compilation of singles, not an album.

I think "Your Arsenal" is the best overall.
A lot of fans still regard it as an album.
Old 06-19-02, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by monkey

A lot of fans still regard it as an album.
I think a lot of fans are wrong. I mean, it has songs from the previous album on it.
Old 06-19-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vauxhall and I for me.

I'm a huge fan of producer Steve Lillywhite's work (Big Country's The Crossing and Steeltown, U2's Boy, October and War, Simple Minds' Sparkle in the Rain, Pogues' If I Should Fall From Grace With God among other things). He usually seems to give albums a big, lwarm, lush, deep, etherial sound, and that sound really ties all of the songs of an album together----IMO, that's what he did for Morrissey on this one.
Old 06-19-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a lot of fans are wrong. I mean, it has songs from the previous album on it.
Yes.

"fans" unlike "casual listeners" would acknowledge the original singles and e.p.'s rather than a callous record exec's decision to "package, re-package, re-evaluate the songs...."
Old 06-19-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which one has all those happy pop songs on it? That's my favorite.
Old 06-19-02, 09:12 PM
Banned

Don't vote for it then.
Old 06-19-02, 10:50 PM
Banned

Hard choice. I went with Maladjusted.
Old 06-19-02, 11:49 PM

Bona Drag was the first one I bought, so I went for it for sentimentally over Vauxhal coming in as second choice...but I also love Your Arsenal.

T
Old 06-20-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"fans" unlike "casual listeners" would acknowledge the original singles and e.p.'s rather than a callous record exec's decision to "package, re-package, re-evaluate the songs...."
Wha? That's such a snooty thing to say! Callous record exec?
Pulease. "Bona Drag" is awesome because it does happen to be a compilation of great songs. What is wrong with that? I'm not a fan because I didn't go to the Smiths Grand Emporium Convo and Expo to purchase the picture disc single of "International Playboys" for $57.14? I better throw away "Bona Drag" since it's obviously for people who only casually listen to music.

I mean, are people who listen to Bob Marley's "Legend" disc unknowing "casual listeners"? I've ended up buying a lot of other Marley recordings and his box set. There is still nothing better to me than "Legend" and I listen to it much more than
any of the other recordings I own by him.
Old 06-20-02, 11:04 AM

Argue all you want, but the term "album" has very specific meanings to me. Using this term, The Smiths only actually released 4 albums in their entire career. Everything else were compilations of singles and other hits.

That is not to say that that Louder Than Bombs is not a great CD, but when you have a disc comprised of nothing but their hits, it's really no comparision to a full length studio album that is bound to have at least one or two songs that people don't care for.

So my arguement is not that Bona Drag sucks because it is a compilation, just that it's unfair to compare a CD full of all hits to a studio album. It throws off the results.
Old 06-20-02, 11:29 AM
Banned

Argue all you want, but the term "album" has very specific meanings to me. Using this term, The Smiths only actually released 4 albums in their entire career. Everything else were compilations of singles and other hits.

That is not to say that that Louder Than Bombs is not a great CD, but when you have a disc comprised of nothing but their hits, it's really no comparision to a full length studio album that is bound to have at least one or two songs that people don't care for.

So my arguement is not that Bona Drag sucks because it is a compilation, just that it's unfair to compare a CD full of all hits to a studio album. It throws off the results.
Bona Drag isn't a singles compilation. It contains some singles, yes. As does any other record he released. The album contains a fair amount of B-sides as well. It was not realized as a "singles" compilation or a greatest hits album. I didn't post this to spark a debate over whether or not the album should be included. Some think it should, some think it shouldn't. As you fall into the latter category, it's quite simple...just don't vote for it.
Old 06-20-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nicely said sherm42. Yes, I am a snob if that has not been made clear. Bona Drag does rule (although I don't have it because I spent all my money on the picture disc singles at the Smiths Grand Emporium Convo and Expo), but it's not an album.
Old 06-20-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Bona Drag does rule (although I don't have it because I spent all my money on the picture disc singles at the Smiths Grand Emporium Convo and Expo), but it's not an album.

Hmm. 14 songs, none of which had ever been on a full-length release before. Sounds like an album to me.
Old 06-20-02, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
Hmm. 14 songs, none of which had ever been on a full-length release before. Sounds like an album to me.
Actually, it's 14 songs of which 3 were from his first album Viva Hate:

Everday is Like Sunday
Suedehead
Hairdresser On Fire

The rest were singles and B-Sides that were released after the first album, but before he finished his second, Kill Uncle. In other words, all of the songs were released well before Bona Drag ever came out. Therefore, it was compiled from previouisly released work.

My only complaint with including it in a poll is that when people vote for a CD of proven hits, then it really does affect the results of what people really think is his best album. If you include Bona Drag, then why not World of Morrissey? Or My Early Burglary Years, or Best of Morrissey?

Damn, he has had quite a few compilations now that I think about it. Either way, I'll stop now. You get my point. Thanks for reading.

Goodnight and Thank You.

Last edited by sherm42; 06-20-02 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-20-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
In other words, all of the songs were released well before Bona Drag ever came out. Therefore, it was compiled from previouisly released work.
Released, but not on a full-length album (except for 3)

If you include Bona Drag, then why not World of Morrissey? Or My Early Burglary Years, or Best of Morrissey?
Because most of the songs on those albums had been released on full-length albums before.