Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth: [UPDATE: its "official"]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Would you like to see Sammy & David Lee together in concert?
Hell yes!
100.00%
Who the hell are those bums?
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth: [UPDATE: its "official"]

Old 03-20-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David Lee Roth & Sammy Hagar Join Forces For Summer Tour
April 16, 2002, 2:00 pm PT -- Corey Levitan

Deposed Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar have confirmed the reports swirling for months that they will tour together this summer. The tour kicks off May 29 in Cleveland and will run through the summer, although only dates up until June 29 were announced.

"Sam and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same shitty hazing," said Roth, 46, at a press conference at Los Angeles' Skybar on Tuesday (April 16), surrounded by three young blonde girls in cat suits.

But after two decades of slagging each other in the press, they ain't exactly talkin' 'bout love. "It's not like Dave and I are old buddies or anything," said Hagar, 54. "This is a pretty competitive tour, in my book."

Roth, who likened the competition to a NASCAR tour in which fans show up to see a crash, said he believed ticket demand would be strong. "Between the two of us, what you have is quintessential Americana," he said, "and you couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that, because we have a whole busload of people out there who've been waiting way too long for something really good to happen with this music."

They'll each perform for 90 minutes, Roth exclusively Van Halen covers and Hagar material spanning his entire career. Hagar said they'd flip a coin to see who opens the first show, then switch off after that. "We're gonna flip a blonde in the next city and I'm gonna call tails," Roth responded.

Roth said he imagines a duet or two is "inevitable," although he can't name the tune. "I've never sang any of his songs," he said. On whether any reaction from Van Halen had trickled down through common channels, Roth replied, "I'm not sure what the brothers think, and I'm not sure I even really care. I think probably the two biggest words up there on Howdy Doody mountain now are 'Uh-oh.'"

When asked whether Gary Cherone (formerly of Extreme) was approached to open the tour, Roth cracked that the other ex-Van Halen singer was busy "performing The Vagina Monologues."

The tour, dubbed Sans Halen by the rock press, has no official name, and the obvious title of Sam & Dave would infringe on the rights of the '60s act.

SAM & DAVE The Heavyweight Champs of Rock n Roll (June) tour dates:
DELETED THE DATES THAT HAVE ALREADY PLAYED!
6/15 Dallas, TX @ Smirnoff Music Centre
6/16 Houston, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion
6/18 Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavillion
6/19 Denver, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
6/21 Phoenix, AZ @ Crickett Pavillion
6/22 Devore, CA @ Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavillion
6/24 Los Angeles, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
6/25 Fresno, CA @ Selland Arena
6/27 Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre
6/29 George, WA @ Gorge Amphitheatre

New Sammy/Dave tour dates for (JULY - SEPT.) added!
July 23 : Bossier City, LA CenturyTel Center
July 25 : Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center Arena
July 26 : Bonner Springs, KS Sandstone Amphitheatre
July 28 : Selma, TX Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
July 31 : West Palm Beach, FL Mars Music Amphitheatre
Aug 01 : Tampa, FL Ice Palace
Aug 03 : Antioch, TN AmSouth Amphitheatre
Aug 04 : Atlanta, GA HiFi Buys Amphitheatre
Aug 06 : Raleigh, NC Alltel Pavilion
Aug 07 : Charlotte, NC Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Aug 10 : Atlantic City, NJ Trump Marina
Aug 11 : Burgettstown, PA Post-Gazette Pavilion
Aug 13 : Scranton, PA Coors Light Amphitheatre
Aug 14 : Hershey, PA Star Pavilion
Aug 16 : Bristow, VA Nissan Pavilion
Aug 17 : Camden, NJ Tweeter Center At The Waterfront
Aug 19 : Virginia Beach, VA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Aug 20 : Holmdel, NJ PNC Bank Arts Center
Aug 22 : Hartford, CT ctnow.com Meadows Music
Aug 24 : Saratoga Springs, NY Performing Arts Center
Aug 25 : Essex Junction, VT Champlain Valley Expo
Aug 27 : Gilford, NH Meadowbrook Farm Musical Arts Center
Aug 28 : Mansfield, MA Tweeter Center
Aug 31 : Darien Center, NY Darien Lake Six Flags Performing Arts Center
Sep 01 : Syracuse, NY New York State Fair
Sep 06 : Chula Vista, CA Coors Amphitheatre
Sep 07 : Las Vegas, NV

<HR>
Sammy & David Lee: The Sans Halen Tour?
Mar 20, 2002, 3:30 PM PT -- Mark Armstrong

Well, all they need now is Gary Cherone.

In what could be the most dynamic pairing since, well, since either of 'em last hung out with Eddie Van Halen, former Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are reportedly discussing a possible summer tour together.

That's right, the power-lunged singers--who each fronted the rock group during two distinct eras (party metal and adult-contemporary, respectively) and each ended up splitting from the band--have met for the first time and are now in talks to team up.

Hagar broke the news this week on his official Website, RedRocker.com, saying, "Believe it or not, Sammy and David Lee Roth are talking about touring this summer. Sammy was blown away at how well they got along together."

Added Hagar: "If this happens, this would have to be the party of a lifetime!!! Stay tuned! We'll keep ya posted!!"

A spokesman for Diamond Dave confirmed only that the two exes "have met for the first time." But Hits magazine is reporting that superstar manager Irving Azoff has signed on for "The Sam and Dave Show," a tour that would feature both singers performing with their respective bands (though that title is probably not going to pass muster with the lawyers).

It only makes sense that the twosome would hit it off, considering their experiences joining, and leaving, Van Halen. Roth fronted the band from its beginnings in the late '70s until 1985, when he bailed to focus on a solo career. Hagar then took over until the mid-'90s, when he was replaced by former Extreme singer Cherone.

Of course, news of a possible Hagar-Roth summer tour has unleashed a frenzy of chatter from fans. It also has revealed some potentially complicated issues: For instance, fans of Roth still seem unable to ever forgive Hagar for "ruining" Van Halen ("No one really cares about Van Hagar anymore," grumbled one fan on a Van Halen message board), while pro-Sammy types might not understand why David Lee Roth has such a bizarre affinity for martial arts and midgets.

Either way, industry types say that if it happens, the tour should be big.

"We've been hearing the talk for a while, and it's probably more interesting than Van Halen was with Gary Cherone," says Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the concert trade magazine Pollstar. "There's a good deal of curiosity."

Meantime, both men have been generating attention for other new projects. Hagar recently teamed up with his old Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony and former Bad English members Neal Schon and Deen Castronovo to record a two-song demo under the name Planet Us. The group hopes to have one of its tunes, "Vertigo," considered for the upcoming Spider-Man soundtrack.

Roth, meanwhile, raised eyebrows with a bizarro new video that he plans to release on DVD titled David Lee Roth's No Holds Bar-B-Que. The tape features Roth doing martial-arts style moves, dressing up like a sailor and hosting a luau, among other things that make absolutely no sense.

Asked to explain the video, Roth's spokesman said, "It is what it is. It's finger-licking good."

Um, okay.

There's also some bad news for Diamond Dave: He's being sued by a tour manager in Texas who claims Roth owes him more than $50,000 in fees. According to the Houston Chronicle, Louis Gavrel filed a lawsuit last week saying he was entitled to 10 percent of the grosses from shows he performed in 1999.

Last edited by bigjim25; 06-15-02 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-20-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Neither of them alone would be much of a draw, maybe Hagar a little more than Roth, but the two together would be interesting enough to sell some tickets.

I'd go. It would probably be fun.
Old 03-21-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
I'd LOVE to see this tour!

I sure hope it happens.
Old 03-21-02, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to be a big VH fan but have completely lost interest. Their last album was boring and they haven't put anything new out in 4 years.
Old 03-22-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw DLR perform with his band as the opening act of the last Bad Company tour. He was more entertaining than Bad Company. I've also seen Sammy on the freebie Directv series. I think the two of them touring together might not be bad, unless they want over $60 for tix's.
Old 03-22-02, 04:02 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I saw DLR twice last summer and both shows kicked-a$$. I'm a huge classic VH fan, but not much of a Van Hagar fan, so I could really care less if Sammy is there or not. It would help draw a bigger crowd though.
Old 03-22-02, 07:07 PM
Banned

David Lee Roth's last tour was awesome as hell. He's still got it on stage even though hes lost some marbles in his head.
Old 03-22-02, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
I love the early Van Halen music (with Roth, and the first couple with Sammy), but the Sammy concerts (especially these) before VH and Dave concerts after VH were better than any of these guys with VH...

The Red Rocker in the early 80's put on a GREAT show!!!
Old 03-25-02, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

March 21, 2002 - All of the following information is currently unconfirmed and should be treated as a rumour. If you are after pure facts, I suggest you stick to the official sites.

The proposed "Sam & Dave" (or "Sans Halen") tour looks like it's on. Gary Cherone's band Tribe Of Judah has allegedly been offered the slot as opener, so it's possible that fans will be able to see all three Van Halen singers on stage for a single price of admission.

Word on the street is that Bart Walsh is again out of the DLR Band. Toshi Hiketa is said to be handling guitar duties on the next DLR Band studio album, while the job of touring guitarist will most likely be handled by Brian Young from the Atomic Punks.
Old 03-25-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen Hagar in concert at least 5 times. He puts on a damn good show. The last concert i was front row and could smell the tequila and count the hair on his legs.

It would be a tour i'd pay to see, if for nothing other than classic red rocker music.
Old 04-15-02, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

David Lee Roth/sammy Hagar Tour Starts In May!

http://www.metal-sludge.com/RothHagarTour.htm

Metal Sludge has found out that the David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar tour is on and it's scheduled to start in Cleveland on May 29th! While this tour has been rumored for the last few months, we can now say it's official, and you heard it here first. Yet again, maybe you didn't hear it here first, what do we know? Anyway, the "official" press release will be coming out next week

Old 04-15-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-15-02, 02:55 PM
Banned

The public wanted Roth with Van Halen to tour.
I guess this is the next best thing for Roth.
Old 04-16-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope that I can afford to go!
Old 04-20-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check here for ticket info: http://www.redrocker.com/samndave.html
Old 05-30-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar Offer Something For Everyone In Ohio Tour Opener

Summer officially arrived in northeast Ohio on Wednesday (May 29) when two days of heat and humidity were met at the Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls by the sunshine-drenched, rock and roll party atmosphere of onetime enemies and former Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.

Roth and Hagar opened their co-headlining tour in a less than half-full venue. What possibly scared off concert goers who still keep their radio dial glued to music made two decades ago was the uncertainty of it all. Would the performers reign in their collective egos in order to make it to the stage? Does Roth still have the ability to entertain a crowd with his mix of wolfishness, acrobatics, and a nod-and-wink that this isn't rocket science but entertainment?

The answer to both of those questions is "Yes!"

While this has been billed as two prize fighters going at it for a few rounds, cooler heads and thoughts of a fuller bank account at tour's end prevailed ... so far. As for Roth, the man's still got it. His performance was a vindication for a public persona that had deteriorated to a running gag on the nationally-syndicated morning radio program The Bob and Tom Show.

He's in fantastic physical shape, still has that amazing extension when he kicks and jumps around, and even made a couple of those patented mid-air splits while jumping off the drum riser. His set consisted of every Van Halen track that's blared out of speakers since the group's 1978 self-titled debut. Out of 19 songs, only Roth's solo "Yankee Rose" made it onto a set list that included "Jump," "Hot for Teacher," "Mean Street," "Beautiful Girls," "Pretty Woman," "Unchained," "Ice Cream Man," "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," and "Atomic Punk."

Hagar and his band, the Waboritas, supplied solo hits ("I Can't Drive 55," "Three Lock Box") along with his VH staples ("Right Now," "Dreams," and "Finish What You Started"). Still, it felt as if his 90-minute set was more of an ongoing advertisement for his Cabo Wabo cantina and tequila. References could be found on the curtain, the bass drum, Hagar's T-shirt, sitting onstage and, of course, during the playing of "Mas Tequila."

While Roth's charismatic presence was the showman, Hagar, with his blue-collar approach, represented the everyman. And it seemed that on this night, the fans from both camps of VH's career could live with that. Despite drumbeats that took its tribal cues from Alex Van Halen, pulsating basslines from Michael Anthony, and tones and solos that mimicked guitar god Eddie Van Halen, one couldn't avoid the whiff of faux Van Halen in the air. As opening night proved, the strength lies not only in the songs themselves but who was playing them.

-- John Patrick Gatta
Old 05-31-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I'm going TOMORROW!!!!
Old 05-31-02, 09:13 AM
Banned

Both of these guys are great musicians. I love them both. I will see them if they came around my area but I live in the NY state and according to the tour list dates, it looks like they are no where going near NY state at all. What a shame?
Old 06-15-02, 12:49 PM
Banned

NEW TOUR DATES HAVE BEEN ADDED!!

Here is the complete tour list so far!

Jun 18 : Albuquerque, NM Journal Pavilion

Jun 19 : Englewood, CO Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre

Jun 21 : Phoenix, AZ Cricket Pavilion

Jun 22 : Devore, CA Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion

Jun 24 : Universal City, CA Universal Amphitheatre

Jun 25 : Universal City, CA Universal Amphitheatre

Jun 27 : Fresno, CA Selland Arena

Jun 29 : George, WA Gorge Amphitheatre

July 23 : Bossier City, LA CenturyTel Center

July 25 : Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center Arena

July 26 : Bonner Springs, KS Sandstone Amphitheatre

July 28 : Selma, TX Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

July 31 : West Palm Beach, FL Mars Music Amphitheatre

Aug 01 : Tampa, FL Ice Palace

Aug 03 : Antioch, TN AmSouth Amphitheatre

Aug 04 : Atlanta, GA HiFi Buys Amphitheatre

Aug 06 : Raleigh, NC Alltel Pavilion

Aug 07 : Charlotte, NC Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

Aug 10 : Atlantic City, NJ Trump Marina

Aug 11 : Burgettstown, PA Post-Gazette Pavilion

Aug 13 : Scranton, PA Coors Light Amphitheatre

Aug 14 : Hershey, PA Star Pavilion

Aug 16 : Bristow, VA Nissan Pavilion

Aug 17 : Camden, NJ Tweeter Center At The Waterfront

Aug 19 : Virginia Beach, VA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

Aug 20 : Holmdel, NJ PNC Bank Arts Center

Aug 22 : Hartford, CT ctnow.com Meadows Music

Aug 24 : Saratoga Springs, NY Performing Arts Center

Aug 25 : Essex Junction, VT Champlain Valley Expo

Aug 27 : Gilford, NH Meadowbrook Farm Musical Arts Center

Aug 28 : Mansfield, MA Tweeter Center

Aug 31 : Darien Center, NY Darien Lake Six Flags Performing Arts Center

Sep 01 : Syracuse, NY New York State Fair

Sep 06 : Chula Vista, CA Coors Amphitheatre

Sep 07 : Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-15-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I've seen this show TWICE myself already... now YOU go! It's a great party.