Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Curve album review ("The New Adventures of Curve")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Hello Curve fans! Well, I received my pre-ordered copy of the new Curve album ("The New Adventures of Curve") in the mail on Wednesday. I've been listening to it non-stop since then to give you the best review/opinion. First, let me just say that the album *is* very good. But it doesn't sound like any of Curve's previous proper albums. I would compare it to their other internet only album "Open Day At The Hate Fest". On a scale from 1-10, I'd give it a strong 8. The following are the track titles and my brief comments:

"Answers" - Mostly endless/looped beats and Toni repeating "No one asks the questions, no one asks the questions, no one asks the questions. Cuz no one has the answers, no one has the answers, no one has the answers". Great driving song. And could be a huge club smash. This is new dance music territory for Curve. The only thing I don't like about the song is that it's just that, a dance song.

"Till The Cows Come Home" - A more low tempo song. Fantastic production. Sounds like the song could have been lifted from "Come Clean".

"Every Good Girl" - This song is the cousin of "Polaroid" (off "Gift"). Those who liked that song will LOVE this one. I swear, I hear Alan Wilder on this song as well. But he's not credited. You have to hear it to understand. You'll feel the same.

"Cold Comfort" (deepsky remix) - Possibly my least favorite track on the album. Just a little *too* dance for me. It got a little monotonous for me after a while. It'll probably grow on me. But for now, I skip it.

"Star" - Another slow burner on the album. Low tempo. Great vocals. Mellow.

"Nice and Easy" - Another low to midtempo rocker on the album. Lots of drums and cymbals. This one hasn't grown on me yet either.

"Signals and Alibis" - Sublime! Low tempo. But so incredible. Toni's sensuality (and sexuality) just POURS out of the speakers on this one. Fantastic song.

"Sinner" - This one quite frankly sounds like a filler song to me. The slowest track on the album. And definitely the most uninteresting. Don't like it (yet).

"Joy" - A complete surprise and, well, joy. Sounds like the Breeders and the Pixies on their best day with early New Order thrown in. Infectious guitar riffs and hooks. Very unCurve like. And get this, I think Dean is doing the vocals. It's a guy, but no one credited on the album. Who else could it be? It's a great tune.

So that's it folks. I don't think any Curve fan will be disappointed. But it's not a commercial album at all. I'm guessing that's why they chose releasing it through the internet. First.

Enjoy!