Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Toby Keith Dropped From Abc "4th" Special

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Toby Keith Dropped From Abc "4th" Special

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOBY KEITH IS AN ANGRY AMERICAN, DROPPED FROM ABC "4TH" SPECIAL

Toby Keith was UNINVITED yesterday, to perform his hit, "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)" on ABC-TV's live "Voice Across America" 4th of July Special. Previously booked to perform his popular song that is dedicated to his late father, Toby was shocked when he received a call from the show's producer, Tony Eaton, telling him he had been dropped from the special because the show host, news anchor, Peter Jennings, objected to the "lyric content of the song."

Keith was upset saying, "That's a bunch of B.S.!" Toby's camp questioned how Jennings, a Canadian, was able to have his way without consideration for the broad appeal Toby's song has across the U.S.A. (at #12 Billboard and moving toward the Top Ten).

Eaton was not specific which part of the song's lyric Jennings objected to.
Added by me: I say Peter Jennings pulled the plug because among its more scurrilous lines is, "We'll put a boot in your ass that says Made in the USA."
<HR>
Updated on June 14
TOBY KEITH Vs PETER JENNINGS HEATS UP AT COUNTRY RADIO

After it was reported yesterday that ABC TV News Anchor, Peter Jennings, caused Toby Keith to be removed from an ABC July 4th program called "Voices Across America, all Hell has broken loose. Jennings objected to the angry tone of the song, but mostly to the line "You'll be sorry you messed with the U. S. of A...Because we''ll put a boot in your ass, it's the American Way. " He then used his clout as host of the show and top news anchor to have Keith eliminated. Consultant Jaye Albright picked up immediate negative reaction early yesterday from radio driven by angry listener emails and phones that spread quickly around the country.

It rapidly became a national story, sending CNN scrambling to chat with Jennings and sending a camera crew to put Toby on with Wolf Blitzer live by midday. Blitzer said that Jennings refused repeated requests to appear on CNN to talk about it.

TOBY KEITH told Blitzer that his comments about Jennings being Canadian were taken out of context, saying "He has a right to say what he thinks." Toby wanted to come on CNN to explain what had angered him was ABC's attempt to downplay the incident, even implying that Toby hadn't actually been locked in as a performer on the special.

"We didn't take any interviews on this until we heard that ABC said we weren't confirmed to be on the show. That made me mad, I want to clear that up," said Toby.

"May 16th they called and said 'we have to have you on the show, we want you opening it, this song is great, it's hot, America loves the song, it speaks after all the sorrows had set in on us we are still allowed to be angry.' And, my dad served in the Army and that song was wrote about my daddy and how he felt. And he taught me to be a flag-waving patriot long before it was cool to wave the flag like it is now, and that flag flew in Oklahoma and everybody knows it. They said we have to have confirmation from you, on May 16th my manager, T.K. Kimbrell, faxed it to them, they said 'great' he's going to represent our country. And in the 11th hour, after the production got in its later stages we were nixed from the show."

Toby emphasised to Blitzer that ABC came to them because they had heard the song. Toby explained that the reaction he got from American troops at the Naval Academy, the Pentagon and in Kosovo was tremendous showing that we have the right to still feel angry about the attack on America.

"This is my way of serving my country, I'm a musician-songwriter and this is my way of trying to express my feelings."

ABC had also led people to believe that Keith's appearance was complicated by scheduling problems. Toby explained that it was not an issue. They had chartered a plane to take him from the ABC show directly to his next venue.
<HR>
Updated on June 17
TOBY KEITH HAPPY ABOUT SUPPORT IN KEITH VS. ABC

Toby Keith told us yesterday that he's very pleased about all the unsolicited support he's received from fans, country radio and others since the news broke last week that ABC-TV had dropped him from their July 4th, patriotic telecast. Keith's camp was told directly by the producers of the show that he was dropped because the show host, news anchorman, Peter Jennings, objected to the lyric content of the song, "Courtesy of the Red, White & Blue (The Angry American)."

"I haven't taken the gloves off or sicked the dogs on anyone," he assures. "This is the American people writing those e-mails and country radio, they're boycotting and everything without my help. I haven't asked for allegiance to sick the dogs on anybody. I'm just setting back and watching this reaction and thinking how great it is that everybody feels like I do."

KEITH CALLS JENNINGS "TRAGICALLY UN-HIP"

The bottom line is (the people) are angry, we're allowed to be angry, and Peter Jennings is probably guilty of being tragically un-hip and not connected with what the pulse of America is. I'm out there every night and know exactly how they feel."

FALLOUT: ABC STORY CHANGING - OFFERS COMING IN

Toby says he's not as upset with Jennings as he is with the ABC network "spin doctors."

"First they said I wasn't officially booked for the show, then there was a transportation issue, none of which was true. That's why I went on CNN. Now, they're telling People magazine, so I've just done an interview with People. They called to tell me what ABC said to them, that Jennings wasn't involved and they weren't sure they wanted that kind of song to set to tone of the show. So, they still haven't come out and said the truth."

MEANWHILE, Toby says they've received a ton of offers to be on shows regarding the controversy, "But we've limited our comments to just a few people. My publicist said to talk to the entertainment people, and tell country music what's going on." One offer to star Toby in his own 4th of July special that came in from a big name TV producer is being discussed.

FINAL NOTE: TOBY'S MOTHER OUTRAGED

We asked Toby how his family had reacted to the story. "My mother left me a voice mail the other day that was emotional and very pro-American. I mean she never steps up on a political soap box, but I can't say about half of what she said," he said proudly.

"She was basically saying, 'I don't know what's going on, I don't know who did what, I don't know why CNN's out at your house, but you don't ever have to defend that song, and anybody who goes after that song can't be American!' and that's a very, very nice version of what she said. She knows that song was written about her husband, my father, and she's very respectful of that."

HANK JR. REPLACES KEITH ON ABC-TV JULY FOURTH SHOW

Hank Williams Jr. has been added to the ABC-TV "In Search of America," A July 4th Musical Celebration." It's not certain he was replacing Toby Keith or, just because of his long time relationship with the network (Mon. Night Football theme). Others on the show include Sheryl Crow, Los Lobos, Kirk Franklin, Gillian Welch and India Arie.
<HR>
Updated on June 20
NOTE: Access Hollywood was the one entertainment TV show Toby appeared on regarding his beef with ABC-TV who dumped him from their 4th of July special. Instead of running the piece now, MJI reports they're now opting to sit on the piece and run it on July 3rd.

SPEAKING OF THE ABC/PETER JENNINGS FLAP, country radio has continued to apply pressure to Peter Jennings who reportedly personally demanded that Toby Keith be removed from the July 4th ABC special. For instance, KTST - Oklahoma listeners have given Jennings "the boot." The Twister (KTST) Oklahoma City has gone on a boot drive to show its dissatisfaction. Last Friday morning, Twister morning team Crash and Burns began collecting old boots from listeners. UPS has agreed to ship them directly to Jennings' New York office.

"A good majority of these boots have some type of message on the heel and there is no doubt that the 'Big Peter' will get the message that he's offended a lot more people by not allowing Toby to sing 'Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue' than he ever would have by letting the line 'Boot in Your Ass' slide on National TV," said Crash.
<HR>
Updated on June 29
TOBY/ABC FALL-OUT RAINING DOWN

A U.S. Senator has officially weighed in on the side of artists Toby Keith and Charlie Daniels who were booted, or were forced to walk away from, two important July 4th celebrations. Toby as you know, because of lyric content ("boot in their ass") and Daniels for wanting to sing about 9/11 heroes.

Georgia Senator, Zell Miller, spoke on the floor of the Senate saying in part, "When ABC and PBS took it upon themselves to censor these patriotic songs from Charlie Daniels and Toby Keith, they were engaging in the rankest kind of hypocrisy. These so-called advocates of free speech who complain loudly at any hit of censorship are now guilty of it themselves." This was read into the Congressional Record.

Country fan, Miller, also packed up a pair of his cowboy boots and will mail them off to ABC News headquarters this week as part of a national protest called "Send Your Old Boots to Peter Jennings Campaign."

DJ FIRED FOR SUPPORTING TOBY

KTST (THE TWISTER)/OKLAHOMA CITY midday cowboy D.K. PIERCE was fired yesterday after playing the now controversial TOBY song "Courtesy of The Red, White & Blue (The Angry American) non-stop for nearly 2 hours. Reportedly OM/PD, L.J. SMITH was out of town at a meeting, which allowed the escapade to go on so long.
<HR>
Updated on July 9

TOBY KEITH GOES NUMBER ONE BILLBOARD

Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)" jumps four to hit Number One at Billboard (it hit #1 R&R last week). No doubt the song's cause was helped by the millions of dollars of free publicity and support brought on by the Peter Jennings-ordered cancellation of his performance on an ABC TV July 4th special. In the last few days Keith was interviewed by CNN, NBC, CBS and Fox regarding the controversy.

Last edited by bigjim25; 07-09-02 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-14-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a bunch of crap, Toby should put a boot in Jennings arse.
Old 06-14-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
On CNN, ABC said the real reason wasn't the lyrics, but "logistic" problems...uh, yeah.
Old 06-14-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
The lyrics I saw didn't make me feel good about being an American. It's just rabble-rousing.

I would rather not hear this type of thing at an independence day celebration.
Old 06-14-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Copenhagen
What a bunch of crap, Toby should put a boot in Jennings arse.
Hehehe. What a coincidental set of words. Unfortunately, "should put a boot in" is not my middle name.
Old 06-14-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-14-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jason
The lyrics I saw didn't make me feel good about being an American. It's just rabble-rousing.

A little too jingoistic and capitalizing on the newfound patriotism for me.
Old 06-14-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Toby wasn't "dropped" nor "uninvited" from the ABC special. The correct wording is not an active part of the roster.
Old 06-16-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Isn't this the same guy who does those long distance commercials with ALF?
Old 06-16-02, 09:38 PM

Toby Keith is just another dime-a-dozen country star that is trying to get famous with a patriotic song. You could put any other country artist and no one would tell the difference.
Old 06-17-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish Isn't this the same guy who does those long distance commercials with ALF?
Yes he is.

Originally posted by MFRONE <small>Toby Keith is just another dime-a-dozen country star that is trying to get famous with a patriotic song. You could put any other country artist and no one would tell the difference.</small>
I don't crap at your house so
please don't crap in my thread.
Old 06-17-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Toby Keith is not a dime a dozen country star. His music is great and he puts on an exciting show.
Old 06-17-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Toby Keith is not a dime a dozen country star. His music is great and he puts on an exciting show.
That's as may be, but I think he's pretty much unknown outside of country radio. Everyone knows who Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson are. Toby Keith? Probably not. I think that's what he's trying to get at.

As for the crack about trying to get famous with a patriotic song, I thought getting as famous as possible was the whole point.
Old 06-18-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if toby doesn't end up on the show, i think that hank should do the song as a surprise and piss everyone at abc off.
Old 06-18-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In an un-interesting twist, some Oklahoma City (Keith's hometown) country radio station is encouraging it's listeners to bring their old cowboy boots to the station, so they can ship them to Peter Jennings.

Yeah.
Old 06-20-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kevin75 if toby doesn't end up on the show, i think that hank should do the song as a surprise and piss everyone at abc off.
I agree!
Old 06-20-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Virex
In an un-interesting twist, some Oklahoma City (Keith's hometown) country radio station is encouraging it's listeners to bring their old cowboy boots to the station, so they can ship them to Peter Jennings.

Yeah.
And the reason for this would be?
Old 06-21-02, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by kevin75
if toby doesn't end up on the show, i think that hank should do the song as a surprise and piss everyone at abc off.
Pull an Elvis Costello?
Old 06-21-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And the reason for this would be?
I'm not sure, but I think the American, country-music listening morons might be sending the boots to the Canadian-born, American news anchor because of this lyric, and his apparent objection to it:

"We'll put a boot in your ass that says Made in the USA."
Old 06-23-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
A little too jingoistic and capitalizing on the newfound patriotism for me.
I believe the whole point of Keith's comments (if you read them all) is that many Americans have grown up with patriotism and pride in their country. Patriotism wasn't invented on September 11th just because that's when the Starbucks contingent started to feel it. Peter Jennings should go back to Canada and cover curling tournaments.
Old 07-08-02, 09:29 PM

lol, he was on cnn with wolfgang schnitzel or whatever his name is.

when he bust out in that song, i couldnt help but LOL

the lyrics are sooo lame, but he can pen a tune though
Old 07-09-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree.
Old 07-09-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update about Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American) hitting #1
Old 07-09-02, 09:57 PM

Funny ... I thought that was what the whole American Revolution was about. A bunch of rabble rousers got fed up and put a boot in the Redcoats ass. I can't think of anything MORE appropriate for an Independence Day celebration!

From the very beginning, being an American has been about having a little chip on your shoulder.
Old 07-10-02, 07:52 PM

"A bunch of rabble rousers got fed up and put a boot in the Redcoats ass"

the problem is, they didnt stop there, and continued to do it all around the world where they had no business being, and this song fans the kind of sloppy simplistic pseudo-patriotism that glorifies bombast where what is actually needed is cerebration