Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Who sings "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger..."?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 06-11-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The song's called "Ooh La La" and it's by the Faces. Surprisingly, Rod Stewart was a member. It can also be found on the Rushmore soundtrack (which is a great album by the way).
Old 06-12-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be found on the Faces album "Ooh La La" (go figure!). And though Rod the Mod was a member, that's Ron Wood doing the singing. Neat-o tune!
Old 06-12-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great! Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 06-12-02, 04:27 PM

I'll second the comment on the Rushmore sountrack. Great disc. I heard a new solo version of this song the other day with just Rod. While it's not as good as the original cut, it's still interesting to hear. It's a little differant. Not sure what album it's on though.
Old 06-12-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Link_182 .... Not sure what album it's on though.
Rod's version is on:
or 2 CD set->
The When We Were the New Boys CD includes mostly remakes like: Primal Scream's "Rocks," Oasis's "Cigarettes and Alcohol," Graham Parker's "Hotel Chambermaid," The Faces' "Ooh La La."

The Faces' version is on:
Old 06-12-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Out of those six, I would reccomend the Best of The Faces. Great, long album.

Rushmore disc aint bad, but it's not too cohesive.
Old 06-13-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait, I've heard that line before, but I've never listed to Ooh lah lah or Rod Stewert.

Maybe someone else has used that line too.
Old 06-13-02, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by ziggy
Wait, I've heard that line before, but I've never listed to Ooh lah lah or Rod Stewert.

Maybe someone else has used that line too.
I think it's used in a commercial.
Old 06-13-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh yeah yeah!

that's right.

cool.
Old 06-13-02, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by slop101
Rushmore disc aint bad, but it's not too cohesive.
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I think the Rushmore soundtrack is one of the best out there. I do think it's fairly cohesive (late 60's/early 70's British music -- 'cept for a couple tracks -- intermixed with score material), or, at least, it runs together very well. It's like a well-coordinated mix tape.
Old 06-13-02, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by SAShepherd

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I think the Rushmore soundtrack is one of the best out there. I do think it's fairly cohesive (late 60's/early 70's British music -- 'cept for a couple tracks -- intermixed with score material), or, at least, it runs together very well. It's like a well-coordinated mix tape.
I completely agree...it's one of the most cohesive and enjoyable soundtracks that I own. To keep on topic, it does play like a good mix tape, and "Ooh La La" would definitely represent that killer song that I always try to end a mix tape with.
Old 06-13-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm not puttin' down the Rushmore disc (I don't have the disc itself - I do have all the songs from it, but one, on the original albums they came on). I'm just saying that if you like the song Ooh La-La, either Faces album is the more logical choice, as that song fits better within the Faces' framework of songs than a compilation for a movie.

Then again, I've never liked albums that feature more than one artist - I just prefer one singular artistic vision per album.
To me, soundtracks, in and of themselves, are like clip shows of scenes from movies.

Last edited by slop101; 06-13-02 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-13-02, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by slop101
I'm not puttin' down the Rushmore disc (I don't have the disc itself - I do have all the songs from it, but one, on the original albums they came on). I'm just saying that if you like the song Ooh La-La, either Faces album is the more logical choice, as that song fits better within the Faces' framework of songs than a compilation for a movie.

Then again, I've never liked albums that feature more than one artist - I just prefer one singular artistic vision per album.
To me, soundtracks, in and of themselves, are like clip shows of scenes from movies.
OK, I think I better understand the context in which you used "cohesive."

As for the singular artistic vision of the soundtrack, I think one of the reasons I (and Gdrlv) like the album so much is that it's the product of the "singular artistic vision" of the director and the score-r and doesn't sound like it was put together by a conglomerate's marketing department. (But it's not the same as the "Faces'" vision.)
Old 06-13-02, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by SAShepherd

(But it's not the same as the "Faces'" vision.)
No...it's Max's vision!

(...along with a new aquarium, the cancellation and subsequent saving of Latin, and one kickass Vietnam War play.)

...and to stay NEAR topic, I think "Ooh La La" was used in TWO commercials in the past year or so, but I forget the details. One was a car commercial, I believe.
Old 06-14-02, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by El Gray

No...it's Max's vision!

(...along with a new aquarium, the cancellation and subsequent saving of Latin, and one kickass Vietnam War play.)

...and to stay NEAR topic, I think "Ooh La La" was used in TWO commercials in the past year or so, but I forget the details. One was a car commercial, I believe.
Yes, it was used in a car commercial. It came on tonight, as a matter of fact. Which car? Damned if I know. I shut the damn thing off without even thinking of this thread. Although, I believe it's a minivan, and I hate to see a song I like so much being used to sell a frigging minivan of all things. (I watched the commercial long enough to register that it's not the Faces version in the commercial though.)

And yes, El Gray described my extreme love of the soundtrack quite well. I love Rushmore. I love its soundtrack, and when I hear the songs, I envision the scenes from the film. Granted, I loved "A Quick One While He's Away", "Here Comes My Baby", "Oh Yoko" and the majority of the Kinks catalog (the most underrated British band ever) well before Rushmore was released. However, the soundtrack evokes positive memories of one of my favorite movies and gives me the pleasure to hear these songs in a different context. The only soundtracks I've got that are as good are Pulp Fiction (again, because I watch the film while hearing it's songs) and Good Will Hunting (I hated this movie and am not a big Elliott Smith fan, but, for some odd reason, this soundtrack kicks ass...it may have something to do with Al Green).
Old 06-14-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the Rushmore soundtrack was top-notch. And the songs were so perfectly utilized in the movie itself, unlike many other soundtracks I can think of...

And good call Gdrlv, the Kinks are the very definition of underrated. Ray Davies is one of the greatest songwriters, yet he's been practically forgotten it seems...

I've seen some car commercial with some new version of "Ooh La La" too. It really bugs me when I have to hear classics being used to peddle automobiles. One that really pissed me off was.... um... I'm blanking on the car company, but they used the Who's "Bargain". Have they no shame?

It reminds me of when my dad and I were watching TV in the late 80's ('88?) and that infamous Nike commercial came on. It was the one featuring the Beatles' "Revolution". I said "hey, I love this song. What a cool commercial!" And my dad got up and walked out of the room in disgust. From that day on I realized how evil it was to have classic songs in commercials.

Hell, I still have a hard enough time listening to "Good Vibrations" without thinking of Sunkist. DAMN YOU!!
Old 06-15-02, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Andalusia
Yeah, the Rushmore soundtrack was top-notch. And the songs were so perfectly utilized in the movie itself, unlike many other soundtracks I can think of...
This is probably due to the fact that Wes Anderson usually knows exactly what song will be playing in a certain scene before the movie is even shot. It's a big part of the writing/planning process for him.

For Rushmore, for example, it's been mentioned that he'd make tapes of Brit invasion rock and listen to it constantly during the writing phase. In the car, etc. He's even said that sometimes he'll repeat songs on his tapes, to give them more chances to sink in.

I know that the segment of "A Quick One While He's Away" that was used in the revenge montage is a specific example of him planning the scene around the music. I don't remember if they mentioned "Ooh La La" on the commentary.

(yeah, I'm a fan.)