Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Bowie album: Heathen [m-m-m-m-m-mergéd]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Bowie album: Heathen [m-m-m-m-m-mergéd]

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Illinois Enema Bandit
What foo said!

I believe foo is at the "raving and drooling" level where DB is concerned Whereas owning 4 of his albums is barely scratching the surface
I went way past the raving and drooling level long ago when I put up a website devoted to the religion of Bowie. I also went past the blathering fan stage once I felt Bowie up at his last concert. Oh yeah, baby, yeah! He, uhm, has very skinny legs.
Old 06-12-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo

S' Right. A definition of "huge fan" isn't "I own four albums". Huge fan means "I own all his albums, plus a bunch of bootlegs, demo tapes, teeshirts, movies, and see him in concert every time he's out and about." An even huger fan would go so far as to start collecting IGGY POP albums simply because Iggy and Bowie are friends and have collaborated on a few thins. Even huger than that, and you're collecting Lou Reed albums because Bowie played Sax on Lou's "Transformer" album. Huger than that is bringing glitter to his Earthling tour and throwing it in the air when Bowie sings "Hallo Spaceboy" (moondust cover me!). Even huger than that is putting an alien puppet under plexiglas just because Bowie TOUCHED it.

I'd say you were a fan. Four albums is a good start.

Yea, I think that's right.

And the original Cat People is awesome.

[devil's advocate]Perhaps only owning 4 albums means he's a more "discerning" fan in his album choices and chooses not to rip Bowie off by supporting the bootleg market . How about wearing a small bottle with a "Bowie Turd" in it like Adam Whitely/Felicia Jollygoodfellow's "ABBA TURD" in " The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"? Would that make him a bigger Bowie fan? Where do you keep your "Bowie Turd" Foo? [/devil's advocate]

just messing with ya Foo

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-12-02 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-12-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

giantrobo.

However, if he had more discerning taste, Hours wouldn't be one of two studio albums in the collection. *duck*
Old 06-12-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<---- wiping coffee off the monitor
Old 06-12-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mllefoo - I fit your huge fan to a T.

I'm missing Lodger and Heroes and Never let me down - I have all his other albums.

I have most of Iggy Pop's albums -because of Bowie.
As well as Transformer (+ a couple other Lou Reed/Velvet Underground albums)

I've got "The Man who Fell to Earth" "Labyrinth" and "The last Temptation of Christ" - though I didn't know Bowie was in it when I bought it, so it doesn't really count.

No, t-shirts or posters though, and Sadly never been to a concert.
Old 06-12-02, 03:05 PM

Im going to see Mr. bowie friday night at a private taping for A&E
Old 06-13-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alas, I am still without Low, Young Americans, and Tonight in ye olde cd collection. But I had all his albums on vinyl, and then some. Actually still do. Can't play them, due to a serious lack of turntable...

I watched Last Temptation of Christ and couldn't help laughing when Bowie was on screen. Two words: Biggus Dickus. Sorry, but Monty Python has ruined biblical movies for me.

I got to see Bowie in concert many times, mainly do to luck. People took pity on me and gave me tickets. Hey, I can't complain.

Saw Iggy a couple times. The man is intense. And intensely weird looking. Lovely eyes, though.

Have you see Yellowbeard? Bowie plays a great white shark (the thin white shark? ) who tortures Madelaine Khan. It's the funniest damn costume I've seen anyone wear. He looks like Smee with a giant cardboard shark fin on his back.

Me gots to go work now. Ta.
Old 06-13-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no I haven't seen that. But I'll certainly check it out.

Low, BTW - if you haven't heard it - is a really fantastic album.

And now you've ruined Bowie as Pilate for me, thanks

"Welease, Wogar!"
Old 06-13-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ziggy

"Welease, Wogar!"
It's "Woger". As in Woger Daltwey

Always look on the bright side of life...
Old 06-13-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
giantrobo.

However, if he had more discerning taste, Hours wouldn't be one of two studio albums in the collection. *duck*

Old 06-13-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Illinois Enema Bandit

It's "Woger". As in Woger Daltwey

Always look on the bright side of life...

Actually it was more like "wogah" but I wasn't gonna be nit-piccy about it
Old 06-13-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ziggy
no I haven't seen that. But I'll certainly check it out.

Low, BTW - if you haven't heard it - is a really fantastic album.

And now you've ruined Bowie as Pilate for me, thanks

"Welease, Wogar!"
Like I said, I had all his albums on vinyl at one time. I just don't have Low on CD at the moment *hangs head in shame*.

Methinks it's time to stop worrying about my migraine and go buy Heathen.
Old 06-13-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like I said, I had all his albums on vinyl at one time. I just don't have Low on CD at the moment *hangs head in shame*.

Methinks it's time to stop worrying about my migraine and go buy Heathen.
or...you can aquire it in the manner in which I did - which I will not mention because it is somewhat taboo
Old 06-14-02, 12:27 AM

Cactus?!? This I've gotta hear. I love the song and I love Bowie, but I just can't imagine this.
Old 06-14-02, 01:19 AM

Ok, pretty damned good. Dosen't hold a match to the original, but much better than I had expected.

Pixies, "Cactus"

Sitting here wishing on a cement floor
Just wishing that I had just something you wore

I put it on when I go lonely
Will you take off your dress and send it to me?

I miss your kissin' and I miss your head
And a letter in your writing doesn't mean you're not dead
Run outside in the desert heat
Make your dress all wet and send it to me

I miss your soup and I miss your bread
And a letter in your writing doesn't mean you're not dead
So spill your breakfast and drip your wine
Just wear that dress when you're dying

Bloody your hands on a cactus tree
Wipe it on your dress and send it to me

Old 06-14-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last Bowie album I could listen to without falling asleep was "Scary Monsters". Hate to say it, but in my opinion the man peaked with "Hunky Dory" and "Ziggy Stardust". I only own those two, the double disc "Singles Collection", and "BBC Sessions". It gets me by...

I know Bowie's the type who likes to experiment and not "stand still" musically speaking, but he really hasn't given us classics like "Life on Mars?" or "Ashes to Ashes" in a long long time. I tried to get into "Earthling", "Outside", and "Hours", but couldn't make the connection. Is it just me? Or am I not opening my mind enough. In any case, I still respect the man for doing his own thing and not giving a rat's ass what people like me think...
Old 06-14-02, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it just me? Or am I not opening my mind enough.
I think I agree with you. "Hunky" and "Ziggy" to me are the only Bowie albums that are fantastic from start to finish. All the other albums he has done since then are hit and miss. Of course, I own almost every CD he's done ('cept 90's stuff), so I really think when he hits he really hits!
Old 06-14-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, Andalusia, I didn't appreciate Earthling till I saw him perform the album live at the Warfield (three times). Now I can listen to the album and remember how cool those concerts were.

I can't listen to Outside. Don't you hate it when pop music means something to you? Too many bad memories back then.

I have to say I love Diamond Dogs from start to finish, with the exception of the extra tracks that really don't fit the album very well.

I also like to listen to Station to Station from start to finish. Very slick album.

I've always thought of Hunky Dory as "cute".

Ziggy and Aladdin Sane are the best of the lot, with The Man Who Sold the World following a close fourth behind Diamond Dogs.

Did I mention I like his apocalyptic work the best?
Old 06-14-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I've enjoyed his last three CDs -- I feel like his work started to rebound after the mediocre "Tin Machine" era of the early '90s. "Outside" is a CD I have to be in a certain mood for, it's very arty and bleak but features some of Bowie's better songs of recent years - particularly "Spaceboy" and "Strangers When We Meet." "Earthling" is a big favorite of mine, although it does remind me of the somewhat strange place I was in '97 when it came out -- lots of big bleak open spaces and apocalyptic small town strip malls, uncertainty about where you're ending up etc. etc. Some of "Earthling"'s tracks may try a little too hard but I admire the man for trying to keep it fresh. "Hours" is probably the least of his most recent CDs (I'm still waiting for my "Heathen" to arrive in the mail), kind of melancholy and slow, but it still has some good moments. I try not to come into a Bowie CD with expectations of how it'll be and so I've managed to enjoy most of the man's work -- "Scary Monsters" is probably still my favorite of his CDs, but I have yet to be truly disappointed by the man

Mllefoo, any chance you can e-mail me and give me a hint how I might get a hold of that "Desparate Pigs" with Trent Reznor? I'd be really interested in hearing that.
Old 06-14-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

(you can email me about the Reznor thing too if you like)

My top five bowie albums hmm:
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Low
Diamond Dogs
Man Who Sold the World

I've never been very dissapointed with anything he's done - except possibly "let's dance" and "Tonight"
If you leave those out of the catalog, I wouldn't miss them at all.
Old 06-14-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deranged Pigs. I bought it at CD Warehouse. Occasionally, they carry interesting items that you just can't pass up. I've seen that CD there a few times, so I suspect copies are still floating around.

I just bought Heathen. It is very slow and melancholy, but then I've had a migraine for the past four days, so it's just what the doctor ordered (apart from the Immetrex and the codeine). I really like Cactus. Looks like I'll be making a Pixies purchase very soon.

I'm not sure why I haven't bought more Pixies albums before now because I think Doolittle is brilliant.

Anyhoo, it will take a couple of listens for me to decide if I like this album or not. Like I said, it t'aint bad and I like the wailing and the harmonies in the first few songs. It's just that Bowie is Bowie, and that means every album takes some getting used to.