Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Shakira = good/no good??

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Shakira = good/no good??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Shakira= no good

I can't understand a word that she is saying. I saw her on on VH1 tonight covering an Elvis tune, and she might as well have been singing something form the Trogs. Her voice is so grating, it makes me want to pummel somebody.

If you are a latino singer, great. But don't try to do a crossover bit if you are unintelligible, no matter how hot you are.
Old 05-26-02, 02:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do people feel the need to bash music that other people love? I don't get it.

Shakira == AWESOME!
Old 05-26-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Her voice doesn't appeal to me at all. I think Whenever, Wherever is a good song though.
Old 05-26-02, 03:39 AM

I'm just a big Spanish fan in general. After studying it for 6 years I just like to hear it in music.
Old 05-26-02, 03:41 AM

I think her lyrics are ridiculous, and her voice is marginal at best. Let's face it, her a$$ is what is selling records. I think she should vary her wardrobe a little bit because she's always wearing the same type of ensemble--tight pants with a little top. You know us women have to judge the clothes!
Old 05-26-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't stand that howler monkey of a voice...
Old 05-26-02, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My understanding is this English CD Shakira has out is not nearly as good as her Spanish recordings. Oh, and that WOULD be cool to hear Shakira doing the Troggs! I think there's plenty of worse music to be attacking...
Old 05-26-02, 07:23 AM

What I can't stand is the vocal theatrics. She's a rollercoaster vocally, even moreso than Mariah, Whitney, and Meat Loaf...combined.

I like her first two singles, but her voice is novelty to me.

- Matt
Old 05-26-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tboogie
I think her lyrics are ridiculous, and her voice is marginal at best. Let's face it, her a$$ is what is selling records. I think she should vary her wardrobe a little bit because she's always wearing the same type of ensemble--tight pants with a little top. You know us women have to judge the clothes!
I don't think that is totally true, I have a gay friend that loves Shakira.... so that Face and ass wouldn't appeal to him right?
Old 05-26-02, 09:51 AM
Banned

Re: Shakira= good/no good??

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
[B]Shakira= good/no good/B
She is no good. I hate pop music with a passion. It sounds so fake. Oh yeah, I have so much talent to lip synch over cassette players and rap over turntables. *sarcasm*

I know this because I had seen a few pop singers live in concert a few times (not my choice, I went with friends for something to do and didn't know what kind of music was going to be there). All they do is they have a soundman put a tape in and when the music starts, they start to sing. It's kind of like a karoake thing. There's no live band, no people playing real instruments. Just a female pop singer on stage with maybe a few dancers too. When I see them sing, it looked like they were lip synching because I noticed that their mouth is not following along the lyrics on the tape correctly.

In pop music when they perform live, the background music is played on a cassette tape 'cause I've seen the soundman put a tape in and push play myself.

I once saw Jessica Simpson live in concert a few years ago, the soundman really messed up one of her songs while he was playing the music. She stopped singing right away after th soundman messed up her song. When the music stopped, I noticed her voice kept singing a little bit and her mouth wasn't doing anything so I knew she had to be lip synching and it with the soundman that messed up her song that prooved right there that she was a lip syncher.

This type of music isn't my cup of tea anymore. I'm more of a classic rock and alternative guy now. I used to listen to pop/dance music but I gave up listening to that stuff. It all sounds the same to me and it's boring.

I preffer music with bands that plays real instruments and write their own songs, that's why I listen to classic rock and alternative more.

Screw that mainstream teenage dance/pop garbage. I used to listen to that stuff a lot when I was a young teenager but it didn't take me long to grow out of it.
Old 05-26-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She sets new lows. I'd rather listen to 3 N'Sync CDs back to back than hers.

She may have some genuine talent on her Latino CDs but this Americanized career phase has made her look and sound absolutely ridiculous.

The one really nice thing I can say about her is I'd like very much to "hit that."
Old 05-26-02, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by SnoopDogg

I don't think that is totally true, I have a gay friend that loves Shakira.... so that Face and ass wouldn't appeal to him right?
A gay man likes Shakira for the same reason he worships Barbra Streisand, Cher, Liza Minelli, Madonna, Charro, etc etc. I know, my brother is gay.

BTW, Shakira = Charro
Old 05-26-02, 01:16 PM

Her spanish CDs are a lot better. But to those people who criticize Pop music saying it isn't "real", what do you listen to? Oh, because that music is crap too. See how easy that was?

Bashing music styles with the old lip-sync and selling-out arguments no longer holds water and just makes you look ignorant.

:-)
Old 05-26-02, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LavaLamp27
Her spanish CDs are a lot better. But to those people who criticize Pop music saying it isn't "real", what do you listen to? Oh, because that music is crap too. See how easy that was?
I just told you. I listen to alternative and classic rock music. I think classic rock and alternative bands are more talented because they play their own instruments, write their own songs and lyrics and they are more experimental in their music.

I can see why pop music fans would hate rock music when they like stuff like Shakira, Britney Spears, Pink, boy band stuff, etc. I understand why people would like pop music because there is something for everyone but I'm just simply expressing my opinion on the pop music genre.

I see pop music being fake like with all the cassette stuff I explained above, plus the music is being played by MIDI synthesizers and computers. As far as the songwriting in pop music goes, the pop singer will hire a professioanl songwriter to write the songs for them. The songs in pop music are so simple that the beat and the bass line is just the same thing over and over again throughout the entire song. Plus the lyrics in the songs are nothing boring love songs. Even though inside the CD booklet that the pop singers name is credited in the lyrics, they didn't really write the lyrics, they just hire a ghost writer to write their lyrics for them under their name. A lot of pop singers are just auditional stuff manufactured by a company.

I'm not really bashing anything, I'm just expressing an opinion because the title to this topic says "Shakira - Good or Bad" so I said "Bad" and I explained why I don't like her music everything in detail. I explained my reason why I don't like this genre so I apologize if I offended anyone.

My best friend listens to this type of music and he is a huge fan of Shakira but I respect his opinion because there is music for everyone. He also knows that I hate this genre too and I too did explained the reason why I hate it like I did above.

You see, I'm not that kind of person that would go on a message board and say things like "THAT SUCKS", "IT's GAY TO LIKE THAT MUSIC", "I HATE THEM", etc. I just like explaining my reasoning why I hate this stuff in more detail and more intelligent way and being more specific instead of very harshly bashing at things like an immature little brat. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 05-26-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I see her videos I mute the TV,does this answer your question?
Old 05-26-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Guitar_God

The songs in pop music are so simple that the beat and the bass line is just the same thing over and over again throughout the entire song. Plus the lyrics in the songs are nothing boring love songs.
But you say you listen to alternative music right?? What about all of the three chord no talent trash in that genre. Hmmmmmm maybe like the overated band called Nirvana just to name one of the millions out there. Oh and MANY MANY rock and roll bands write sappy love ballads too. In fact most music is about that. If you dont like something dont contradict yourself while you do it.
Old 05-26-02, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rocketsauce

But you say you listen to alternative music right?? What about all of the three chord no talent trash in that genre. Hmmmmmm maybe like the overated band called Nirvana just to name one of the millions out there. Oh and MANY MANY rock and roll bands write sappy love ballads too. In fact most music is about that. If you dont like something dont contradict yourself while you do it.

Yeah, but at least they don't just sing and dance on stage and they play real instruments. There is a big difference between "real bands" and "pop music" artist. To tell you the truth, it doesn't matter how difficult or easy the song is to make a band popular. It's all about the music. If the lyrics and the music are very catchy and grabs people attention, that's when you hit it big. It's all about the music. The music is the most important thing. So one word explains it all.....*bell rings*....Songwriting. It doesn't matter if you play 3 chords. It doesn't matter how hard or easy the song is to play. The Beatles wrote a lot of 3 chord songs and they hit it big. Bob Dylan wrote a lot of 3 chord songs and he hit it big. It's all about the music. Not just the way you play the songs. It's all about the writing process. Any guitar player who isn't that good can write a really big hit song even if it's 3 chords. It doesn't matter how good you play the instrument or sing, it's all about the song. Think about it.

But since this is a discussion board, I have the freedom to express an opinion if I choose to. At least I'm explaining things in a more insightful and intelligent way of why I don't like them. When you say you don't like something, you should fully explain why and people will respect your opinion if you do. If you say something like an immature liitle brat for example something like "I HATE THAT CRAP", "THAT CRAP SUCKS", "IT's GAY TO LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC", etc. as I said above, people won't respect your opinion if you do that. That's why everyone should be more insightful when you say you don't like things so people can respect your opinion.

Anyhow, if you're a musician(I'm a musician myself) than you would understand what the music industry is all about. Non-musicians don't really understand anything about music and that's why non-musicians like "pop" music fans for example find bands/artist so talented(when they are not) when the song is so simple when they don't notice it.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 05-26-02 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Non-musicians don't really understand anything about music and that's why non-musicians like "pop" music fans for example find bands/artist so talented(when they are not) when the song is so simple when they don't notice it.
What a silly silly thing to state. So, the guitar teacher at Guitar World who teaches the kids to play "Smoke On The Water" knows more about what's good than people who consume music just for the enjoyment of it?
Old 05-26-02, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by atlantamoi

What a silly silly thing to state. So, the guitar teacher at Guitar World who teaches the kids to play "Smoke On The Water" knows more about what's good than people who consume music just for the enjoyment of it?

Man, you misunderstood me when I said that. Now let me make this a little bit clearer so you people can understand what I'm trying to get at here....

Music lovers and listeners who don't play an instrument or don't sing or is not a musicians at all, don't really understand how he/she is playing the instrument. Non-musicians just listen. Even though that the song is very simple, like for example, a 3 chord song with very simple lyrics, a non-musician would think that is a great song because it is very catchy and heartwarming when you hear it. A non-musician would think he/she is very talented to play song when it is very simple when they don't realize it. A non-musician would think that's a very hard song to play, when a musicians knows it's really easy. This is a bit hard to explain but bear with me.
Old 05-26-02, 07:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Guitar_God are you saying that for you something that is technically difficult to perform is perhaps better than something that is simple (but catchy and with mass appeal) because those that are musically proficient will recognise it as a complicated piece?

Perhaps I still missed the point even after reading your join-the-dots explanation....
Old 05-26-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like her a lot. not to mention that the fact she is hot as hell.
Old 05-26-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She's great eye-candy! I can tolerate her singing, but I think she and Mary Blige slaugtered that Pat Benatar song.
Old 05-27-02, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i think she's a good singer. she was famous in SA a while before she even got noticed here
Old 05-27-02, 10:16 AM

My stupid friends are the same way. They think the only good music is something with a complicated guitar riff. Nothing else is good! ********....anyone can run their hand up and down a guitar to sound like a bunch of noise and crap.
Old 05-27-02, 04:40 PM
Banned

My stupid friends are the same way. They think the only good music is something with a complicated guitar riff.
I agree with that, and that's what I'm trying to get at here. It doesn't matter how complicated a certain song is as long as it's a good catchy song. If you like it, listen to it no matter how difficult it is. I think you people are just starting to get my point now.

Nothing else is good! ********....anyone can run their hand up and down a guitar to sound like a bunch of noise and crap.
Now that part I can disagree with you on.. Have you even tried playing the guitar and tried to play music.? It's pretty hard, at first and it takes a lot of practice to get good at the guitar. I've played the guitar for like 7 or 8 years now, and it takes a couple of years to learn to play the guitar. Not everyone can run their hand up and down a guitar, there's a lot of skills and theory to learn when you want to play the guitar.

It took many many years for guys like Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Neil Young, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammet, etc. to become a guitar god to what they are today. I am not as good of a guitar player as these guys are that I listed but I'm getting there though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.