DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Today's CDs (5/21) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/209374-todays-cds-5-21-a.html)

Gdrlv 05-21-02 12:35 PM

Today's CDs (5/21)

Jay Bennett & Edward Burch - The Palace at 4a.m. (Part I)
90 Day Men - To Everybody
Paul Westerberg/Grandpaboy - Stereo/Mono
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

mike1978 05-21-02 01:14 PM

John Cale - "The Island Years" (well, mostly just "Fear")
Tram - "Heavy Black Frame"
Fugazi - "The Argument"

Fun News of the Day:
I was stopped by two police cars at 1 AM last night for jaywalking in the Chicago suburbs. There were absolutely no cars in sight - the cops just happened to turn a corner when my friend and I were about 1/2 way across the street. We were not ticketed.

Yancey 05-21-02 02:17 PM

Blackalicious -- Blazing Arrow
Can -- Tago Mago
Vehicle Birth -- Tragedy
Wedding Present -- Seamonsters

Fun News of the Day:
I ordered one of the new iBooks and an iPod today (thanks to my tax refund). Crazy. I can't wait to get them.

SAShepherd 05-21-02 02:45 PM

Ben Folds - Rockin' the Suburbs
Diana Krall - When I Look In Your Eyes
Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future
Katydids - s/t
Rough Guide to Americana

Fun News of the Day:
I found out that Disney was making a movie based on the TV show "The Greatest American Hero," which led to a halting reprise of the theme song's chorus in the office lunchroom. ("Believe it or not, I'm walking on air...") I can't remember a d*mn thing about the show, but I love the chorus. :)

Yancey 05-21-02 03:01 PM

Rumor has it that Built to Spill have broken up. I'm not sure if this rumor is derived from Doug's solo album being announced or what. The last record bored me to no end.

SAShepherd 05-21-02 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Yancey
Rumor has it that Built to Spill have broken up. I'm not sure if this rumor is derived from Doug's solo album being announced or what. The last record bored me to no end.
This is actually the first Built to Spill album I've listened to. It's been OK, a couple songs I really like, but all in all, I'm glad I borrowed it from the library as opposed to buying it. A used copy of Keep It Like A Secret sits unopened on my shelf at home, so we'll see about that at some point.

Of course, based on what I know of Built to Spill, would a Doug Martsch solo album really be any different from a Built to Spill album? Maybe it would -- the Ben Folds album, which I heard for the first time today, is a lot less rollicking (i.e., bass and drums a lot less prominent) than the Ben Folds Five stuff -- but I doubt it. (Besides, I preferred Ben Folds when he was more of a wiseass. ;) )

anglagard 05-21-02 03:18 PM

Fermata - Huascaran
Gerard - Sighs of the Water
Ain Soph - Hat and Field
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Various - Seven Days of a Life
Iceberg - Sentiments
H2O - Due
XTC - Wasp Star
Cairo - Time of Legends
Mind Gallery - Three Meals from Revolution

Yancey 05-21-02 03:58 PM

Originally posted by SAShepherd

This is actually the first Built to Spill album I've listened to. It's been OK, a couple songs I really like, but all in all, I'm glad I borrowed it from the library as opposed to buying it. A used copy of Keep It Like A Secret sits unopened on my shelf at home, so we'll see about that at some point.

Of course, based on what I know of Built to Spill, would a Doug Martsch solo album really be any different from a Built to Spill album? Maybe it would -- the Ben Folds album, which I heard for the first time today, is a lot less rollicking (i.e., bass and drums a lot less prominent) than the Ben Folds Five stuff -- but I doubt it. (Besides, I preferred Ben Folds when he was more of a wiseass. ;) )

Keep it Like a Secret is okay. The best two are There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Perfect From Now On. Those two I whole-heartedly endorse.

Apararently Dug's solo album is blues-based. Judging by his riffs he is obviously classic-rock inspired, and it seems he is trying to be the Eric Clapton of wussy-rock.

Metrodub 05-21-02 04:14 PM

The Breeders - Title TK
Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air
The Get Up Kids - On A Wire
Clinic - Walk With Thee
Songs:Ohia - Didn't It Rain
Sonic Youth - Murray Street

DJLinus 05-21-02 04:27 PM

J-Live - "All of the Above"
LA Symphony - "Baloney"
Barenaked Ladies - "Maroon"
John Wesley Harding - "Awake"
Green Day - "Warning"

Fun News of the Day:
I just got a Sony Clie yesterday (thanks tax refund!) and I'm going to spend the night entering in addresses and phone numbers. And then maybe buy some internet-only JWH CDs. And then buy stuff I don't really need off of ebay.

SAShepherd 05-21-02 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Yancey
Apararently Dug's solo album is blues-based. Judging by his riffs he is obviously classic-rock inspired, and it seems he is trying to be the Eric Clapton of wussy-rock.
rotfl

Why, you say that as if it's a bad thing!

So, who would the George Harrison of wussy-rock be?

Giles 05-21-02 05:31 PM

Doves -"There Goes the Fear" (CD-Single)
X-Press 2 with David Byrne "Lazy" (CD Single)
Daft Punk "Harder Better Faster Stronger (Japanese CD Maxi-Single) includes remix by the Neptunes.

Gdrlv 05-21-02 05:55 PM

Originally posted by SAShepherd

So, who would the George Harrison of wussy-rock be?

Eric Gaffney?

planetaire 05-21-02 10:39 PM

while painting the room
LTJ Bukem - Suspended Space
Circulation presents Abstract Funk Theory
Latyrx - Latyrx
DJ Shadow - Live from Austin 2002

Rogue588 05-22-02 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Giles
Daft Punk "Harder Better Faster Stronger (Japanese CD Maxi-Single) includes remix by the Neptunes.
Ugh.

Daft punk actually let the Neptunes touch their stuff?

Da Thrilla 05-22-02 11:32 AM

Re: Today's CDs (5/21)

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

Giles 05-22-02 04:28 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Giles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh.

Daft punk actually let the Neptunes touch their stuff?

Yeah, wouldn't you know, the remix isn't that bad would you believe.

MatthewCho 05-23-02 10:37 AM

Soul Hooligan, "Music Like Dirt"

- Matt

lostatmidnight 05-23-02 12:11 PM

Mazzy Star 'Among My Swan.'

Deke Rivers 05-24-02 02:08 PM

Originally posted by mike1978
John Cale - "The Island Years" (well, mostly just "Fear")
Tram - "Heavy Black Frame"
Fugazi - "The Argument"

Fun News of the Day:
I was stopped by two police cars at 1 AM last night for jaywalking in the Chicago suburbs. There were absolutely no cars in sight - the cops just happened to turn a corner when my friend and I were about 1/2 way across the street. We were not ticketed.

Which suburb.?.that had to have been one north of Palatine Road..thats where the analness really starts..