DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Song in Airport in "Almost Famous" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/203518-song-airport-almost-famous.html)

Ryoko 04-28-02 10:50 PM

Song in Airport in "Almost Famous"

Does anybody the name of the song playing during the sequence where William is running along the window in the airport, keeping up with the Airplane? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Ryoko

shaun3000 04-28-02 11:40 PM

I don't have the movie with me, but if I'm thinking of the right music, it is a piano solo... right? If that's the right song, then I think it is a variation of Elton John's Tiny Dancer.

I am not quite sure. But I think that's what it is.

pantala 04-29-02 01:30 AM

Although the piano version of Tiny Dancer is in the movie and is great, the scene with William running after the airplane doesn't use it. The piece that accompanies that scene is an original composition by Nancy Wilson. (And it unfortunately isn't on the soundtrack.)

Three Day Delay 04-29-02 01:33 AM

Ahhhh....it took me a while, but I believe I know what tune you are talking about.

Cortez the Killer by Neil Young

Check and see if that's the right tune....if not, let me know, and I'll find it.

pantala 04-29-02 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Ahhhh....it took me a while, but I believe I know what tune you are talking about.

Cortez the Killer by Neil Young

Check and see if that's the right tune....if not, let me know, and I'll find it.

Cortez is used in the movie, even during an airport scene, but it is used in the airport scene after the band and William land (after their ..ordeal.. in the sky). It serves as the transition when Russell tells William "write what you want," to when he arrives at the offices of Rolling Stone.

----
Edit to say that if you like Cortez the Killer look around for Dave Matthews Band's cover of it, which they did with Neil Young as a special guest. It's great!

boobietheclown 04-29-02 10:16 AM

If you want an EVEN BETTER version of Cortez the Killer check out Built to Spills live album...Good Stuff!

Yancey 04-29-02 10:51 AM

Originally posted by boobietheclown
If you want an EVEN BETTER version of Cortez the Killer check out Built to Spills live album...Good Stuff!
Bullsh*t. Dug Martsch wishes he could be Neil Young.

palebluedot 04-29-02 11:13 AM

Originally posted by boobietheclown
Even better?

Gimmie a break. I'm sorry but this is Neil Young we are talking about. His songs are often covered but never done with the same passion and soul that Young does with them.

lorenzoh 04-29-02 02:06 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot

I'm sorry but this is Neil Young we are talking about. His songs are often covered but never done with the same passion and soul that Young does with them.

Or with the same commitment to sideburns.

palebluedot 04-29-02 04:43 PM

Originally posted by lorenzoh

Or with the same commitment to sideburns.

:lol:

Yeah he is definietly stayin' with the lamb chops.

BenFolds 04-29-02 05:49 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot
Gimmie a break. I'm sorry but this is Neil Young we are talking about. His songs are often covered but never done with the same passion and soul that Young does with them.
Pearl Jam's version of Rocking in the Free World is far superior to Neil's.

Gdrlv 04-29-02 06:09 PM

Originally posted by BenFolds

Pearl Jam's version of Rocking in the Free World is far superior to Neil's.

Quickly becoming a Neil Young thread somehow, but I really disagree with this statement...

Also for what it's worth, and in case anyone cares, I like Neil Young's version of "Cortez" better than Built to Spill's. But, Built to Spill's is better than Dave Matthews' (even though Neil guested on that one).

Tom Banjo 04-29-02 11:54 PM

Ryoko- It is indeed Nancy Wilson. The name of that song is Lucky Trumble and it shouldn't be too hard to find and download. I also recommend her song Elevator Beat. This is the song playing in Vanilla Sky as Cruise and "Tech Support" ride up the elevator.

pantala 04-30-02 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Ryoko- It is indeed Nancy Wilson. The name of that song is Lucky Trumble and it shouldn't be too hard to find and download. I also recommend her song Elevator Beat. This is the song playing in Vanilla Sky as Cruise and "Tech Support" ride up the elevator.
Well, close, but not quite. Like I said above, the song during the airport scene between William and Penny Lane is by Nancy Wilson, but it is not Lucky Trumble. That song is used during the deflowering scene.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies and I know it quite well. :)