Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Trey Anastasio (New Album)

Old 04-27-02, 08:12 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,619
Trey Anastasio (New Album)

Trey's website is finally live (www.treyanastasio.com), and the disc comes out on 4/30. You can listen to the entire disc right now on the site through streaming audio. I like it a lot. Heard about 6 songs, and it reminds me a lot of Farmhouse...mainly shorter, accessible songs. It sounds like it could reach people who weren't really into Phish as well as us fans.
Gdrlv is offline  
Old 04-29-02, 10:10 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Johnny Zhivago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Korova Milkbar
Posts: 5,435
Haven't listened to any of it yet but the word I'm hearing is pretty much what you said... Poppy and mainstream... Which is OK, Trey writes some nice melodic pop tunes...
Johnny Zhivago is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 12:22 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,619
^bump^

Did anyone else pick this disc up? I think it's damned good. Really creative pop songs...head and shoulders above the Oysterhead album (most disappointing album of 2001 in my opinion).
Gdrlv is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 10:39 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Johnny Zhivago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Korova Milkbar
Posts: 5,435
Snagged it last night but I've only listened to about 1/2 of it... Didn't care for Alive Again AT ALL and Cayman Review is just so-so... Push On Til The Day drifts waaaaaaaaay too much into that tired Phish build build build release groove... I did like the next four tracks however, they're quite good... I'll listen to the rest this evening...

It's a better disc, from what I've heard, than the Oysterhead release but there were several very solid tracks on that disc. Copeland's drum parts in particular were nice... Good to hear him playing straight up rock again. I take it you were never a Primus (or Les Claypool) fan?
Johnny Zhivago is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 10:50 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,619
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Snagged it last night but I've only listened to about 1/2 of it... Didn't care for Alive Again AT ALL and Cayman Review is just so-so... Push On Til The Day drifts waaaaaaaaay too much into that tired Phish build build build release groove... I did like the next four tracks however, they're quite good... I'll listen to the rest this evening...

It's a better disc, from what I've heard, than the Oysterhead release but there were several very solid tracks on that disc. Copeland's drum parts in particular were nice... Good to hear him playing straight up rock again. I take it you were never a Primus (or Les Claypool) fan?
I would agree with most of what you said. "Alive Again" is pretty tired...not sure why it was the first single. "Push on Til the Day" sounds exactly like a Phish song...much more so than from Trey's live shows. I like it though, perhaps only for familiarity's sake. I really like most of the tracks though, particularly "Flock of Words", "Money Love & Change", and "Mr. Completely."

Copeland's drum parts were the best thing about the Oysterhead album. I give all 3 credit for taking a chance though. I don't hate Primus...in fact, I kinda like 'em. Also I've got Live Frogs Vol. 1 and really like that. I find Les' personality to be way more annoying on Oysterhead than on anything by Primus or the Frog Brigade. It wasn't even that I was upset that Trey didn't play a larger role...the album just gets extremely irritating to me after 2 or 3 songs.
Gdrlv is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 11:06 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 330
Originally posted by Gdrlv


I would agree with most of what you said. "Alive Again" is pretty tired...not sure why it was the first single. "Push on Til the Day" sounds exactly like a Phish song...much more so than from Trey's live shows. I like it though, perhaps only for familiarity's sake. I really like most of the tracks though, particularly "Flock of Words", "Money Love & Change", and "Mr. Completely."
Interesting comments so far. Personally I really like Alive Again, Cayman Review and Push On. I'll have to listen to Push On again, I never considered it to sound like a Phish song.

I don't really care much for Night Speaks to a Woman though. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the lyrics. There's also some weird production on Money Love & Change, but other than that I think it's a good album. I know it's got me excited for the tour.
larryw is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 11:09 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,619
Originally posted by larryw


Personally I really like Alive Again, Cayman Review and Push On. I'll have to listen to Push On again, I never considered it to sound like a Phish song.
Gotta admit that I like "Alive Again" better now than the first time I heard it... A friend of mine who doesn't care much for Phish at all told me that "Alive Again" is one of his favorite songs that he's heard recently and was really psyched for Trey's album because of it. Gotta find out if he likes it or not. I never considered "Push On..." to sound like a Phish song either from the live versions, but the version on the disc is very Phishy. Still like it though.
Gdrlv is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.