DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Return of the "Open Letter"! This week: Andrew W.K. & Disturbed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/202212-return-open-letter-week-andrew-w-k-disturbed.html)

El Scorcho 04-23-02 02:17 PM

Return of the "Open Letter"! This week: Andrew W.K. & Disturbed

Dear Andrew W.K. & Disturbed:

You make me want to run out and buy a Creed CD and listen to it nonstop.

Nuff said.

Go away already.

Love,

DTSC

Lateralus 04-23-02 02:55 PM

Re: Return of the "Open Letter"! This week: Andrew W.K. & Disturbed

Originally posted by DTSC

Nuff said.

Go away already.

Love,

DTSC

:confused:

How dare you compare the suck ass Andrew W.K with the kick ass Disturbed. Andrew W.K is simply awful, but Disturbed is the most rocking group I have heard in a long time. Ah well to each his own. :D

Applejack 04-23-02 03:27 PM

:thumbsup:

Agree 100%. If this is the direction that music is headed, I fear that we will long for the days that Creed was at the top :(

Deftones 04-23-02 07:08 PM

[Homer Simpson voice] It's so funny because it's truuuuuuue![/Homer Simpson voice] rotfl

Wag The Frog 04-23-02 08:26 PM

What about that crappy mallcore band that has that incredibly stupid "Bodies Hit The Floor" song that has like 10 total words in it? Are they giving recording contracts to random idiots at bus stops or something?

SnoopDogg 04-23-02 08:57 PM

Andrew W.K. Blows simple.

I like Disturbed.

Alien Redrum 04-23-02 09:02 PM

Re: Return of the "Open Letter"! This week: Andrew W.K. & Disturbed

Originally posted by DTSC

Nuff said.

Go away already.

Love,

DTSC

Personal Attack! I'm reporting this to a mod! :p

:lol:

Giantrobo 04-24-02 03:48 AM

Disturbed is very good band and they put on a great show.

db27 04-24-02 05:45 AM

i'd agree the andrew wk is crap. Disturbed however is a band I enjoy, nice pure aggression, and the singer doesn't have a carbon-coby "i want to be the guy from creed or the guy from incubus voice"

however, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. they also have a great live show, and the music stands up live even with the one guitarist.

Josh H 04-24-02 10:18 AM

Disturbed= simple music, dumb lyrics and dumbass weird vocal "noises."

Andrew W.K.= is something that can only be enjoyed by guys with mullets living in trailer parks.

El Scorcho 04-24-02 10:32 AM

I would have included Drowning Pool - Bodies like someone mentioned but I merely forgot. :)

I enjoy my ass kicking metal music just as much as the next guy, but the crap that's getting released for mainstream play is just garbage.

Gdrlv 04-24-02 11:15 AM

I don't listen to nu-metal (or whatever the hell it's called), but isn't Disturbed the band that sings that "song" where the lead singer kills his mother ("Get Down with the Sickness", I think)? I hate that band for their music and their lyrical content. It treads a path that the Doors have already been down and did not need to be repeated. Plus, it's much more mean-spirited and hateful than anything ever sung by Jim Morrison. That band is despicable, and as much as I dislike Creed, they're infinitely preferable to that garbage.

Andrew W.K. is simply too big a joke to really hate at this point. If he starts going multi-platinum, well, then, that's a different story...

Giantrobo 04-24-02 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I don't listen to nu-metal (or whatever the hell it's called), but isn't Disturbed the band that sings that "song" where the lead singer kills his mother ("Get Down with the Sickness", I think)? I hate that band for their music and their lyrical content. It treads a path that the Doors have already been down and did not need to be repeated. Plus, it's much more mean-spirited and hateful than anything ever sung by Jim Morrison. That band is despicable, and as much as I dislike Creed, they're infinitely preferable to that garbage.

Andrew W.K. is simply too big a joke to really hate at this point. If he starts going multi-platinum, well, then, that's a different story...

ouch!

It's not that serious and having heard the lead singer talk about this stuff at their shows....killing people is NOT what the band is about.

Gdrlv 04-24-02 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
ouch!

It's not that serious and having heard the lead singer talk about this stuff at their shows....killing people is NOT what the band is about.

The band sounds a little too serious about it for my taste...

Why did you have to be such a b****?
Why don't you,
Why don't you f*** off and die?
Why can't you just f*** off and die?
Why can't you just leave here and die?
Never stick your hand in my face again b****
F*** YOU!!!
I don't need this s***
You stupid sadistic abusive f***ing whore
Would you like to see how it feels mommy?
Here it comes, get ready to die!

Applejack 04-24-02 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I don't listen to nu-metal (or whatever the hell it's called), but isn't Disturbed the band that sings that "song" where the lead singer kills his mother ("Get Down with the Sickness", I think)? I hate that band for their music and their lyrical content. It treads a path that the Doors have already been down and did not need to be repeated. .
The doors aren't the only band which have traveled down the I hate my parents route.

Singing about being abused or beaten by your parents is to the early 2000's like singing about parties in the late 1980s was. It isn't disturbing or shocking, it is overused and boring.

When Jim Morrison did it, it was shocking and unheard of, but now it is just overused and lame.

enthused 04-24-02 10:53 PM

Originally posted by db27
Disturbed however is a band I enjoy, nice pure aggression, and the singer doesn't have a carbon-coby "i want to be the guy from creed or the guy from incubus voice"
that should be the "i want to be the guy from pearl jam" voice, which is what the lead singer of creed uses

SnoopDogg 04-25-02 12:35 AM

That Disturbed song sounds like a Limp Bizkit song from there first album called Stuck, my favorite LB song! :)

gregx55 04-26-02 05:18 AM

I think Andrew W.K. will end up knocking himself out on stage. I have never seen a singer hit themselves like that.

TaTTooD 04-26-02 05:41 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Disturbed is very good band and they put on a great show.

word :thumbsup:

seen em twice.....1st time was their cd release party :D

RevLiver 04-26-02 10:26 AM

I had the misfortune to hear Andrew W.K.'s song the other day and all I could think was that it will be this summer's Tubthumper - the annoying, idiotic song that drunken suburban teenagers and early 20somethings will love to sing along with at bars when every lame cover band plays it. Mullets and backwards baseball caps bobbing in unison.

Nothing would make me buy a Creed album unless it was a Project Mayhem plot to destroy all known copies of their music.

Then again, nothing would make me buy Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, Staind, Incubus, System of a Down and anything else that is even remotely connected to nu metal.

joe liquor 04-26-02 10:29 AM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Disturbed= simple music, dumb lyrics and dumbass weird vocal "noises."

Andrew W.K.= is something that can only be enjoyed by guys with mullets living in trailer parks.

Awaiting Guess Who's defense of the mullet and Andrew W.K......

DodgingCars 04-26-02 11:59 AM

I was trying to think of who Andrew W.K. was... and then I realized that I might have saw them perform live on some tv show --- did the lead singer act like he had done far too many drugs?

Iron Chef 04-26-02 12:16 PM

From the Onion

http://graphics.theonion.com/pics_3815/andrew_wk.jpg

Andrew W.K. Adopts Staunch Party-Advocacy Position

MJKTool 04-26-02 12:39 PM

Originally posted by joe liquor

Awaiting Guess Who's defense of the mullet and Andrew W.K......

DodgingCars 04-26-02 12:55 PM

Ok.. yeah.. that's the guy. They sucked.