Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"In The Middle" Poser tune, or good song?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

"In The Middle" Poser tune, or good song?

Old 04-20-02, 03:41 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver freakin' Colorado
Posts: 8,563
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"In The Middle" Poser tune, or good song?

I like to to be discriminant of my music choices.....but this song seems damn_good. Is this a poser tune?
Old 04-20-02, 10:20 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,226
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this song is pretty good as well. I wouldn't know if it's a poser tune, since I haven't had a lot of time to listen to Emo, let alone psuedo-Emo like this. Here are some critical snippets:

"The Middle" offers a pep talk about self-acceptance and fitting in, and one of the most memorable guitar riffs this side of Angus Young. (Mark Vanderhoff, All Music Guide)

Are you a 15-year-old TRL addict looking for a step up from Sum 41 and American Hi-Fi? Something you can connect to on an emotional level that won't sacrifice that mindless accessibility you've been force-fed all your life... These guys don't **** around with any of that storytelling, third-person ********. You are misunderstood, goddamnit, and when your friends aren't there for you, Jimmy Adkins always will be, rockin' out while lifting your self-esteem: "Hey, don't write yourself off yet," he sings on "The Middle." "It's only in your head, you feel left out or looked down on/ Just try your best/ Try everything you can/ And don't you worry what they tell themselves/ When you're away." I'm seriously gonna cry! That really hits home. (Ryan Schreiber, Pitchfork Media)

'The Middle' chugs along with the tempo of a racing heartbeat. It's a mere punky two minutes forty-five and poppy in flavour with a chorus you might catch the milkman humming. And there's still time for a soft rock guitar solo and 80s synth meltdown. The complete package. (Chris Heath, dotmusic)
Old 04-20-02, 11:39 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the entire Jimmy Eat World "Bleed American" album, and I usually don't like that kind of music at all. They seem to have a lot more depth to them than most pop-punk/emo bands.
Old 04-20-02, 01:46 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,766
Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
I assume you mean "The Middle" by JEW, right?
Old 04-20-02, 01:48 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver freakin' Colorado
Posts: 8,563
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Deftones17
I assume you mean "The Middle" by JEW, right?
I assumed that since it plays every 15 minutes on the radio, people would know what I was talking about
Old 04-20-02, 01:50 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,766
Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally posted by Three Day Delay


I assumed that since it plays every 15 minutes on the radio, people would know what I was talking about
Get it right, poser!
Old 04-20-02, 03:06 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver freakin' Colorado
Posts: 8,563
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Deftones17


Get it right, poser!
busted
Old 04-21-02, 03:46 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm... what's a poser tune?

Listen to what you like -- if you don't then you are a poseur.
Old 04-21-02, 03:56 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great song, but it's really strange how this album took nearly a year to catch on. It was released early last summer.

While the newer album (Bleed American / Self-Titled, depending on when you purchased it) is pretty much just a general alt-rock album, if you're looking for more of the emo flavor, check out Clarity. I love this album to pieces.
Old 04-21-02, 04:09 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver freakin' Colorado
Posts: 8,563
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DodgingCars
umm... what's a poser tune?

Listen to what you like -- if you don't then you are a poseur.
Liking the Paul Westerberg for the Singles soundtrack.......that's a poser.
Old 04-21-02, 08:15 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Alamo Basement
Posts: 2,825
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DTSC
Great song, but it's really strange how this album took nearly a year to catch on. It was released early last summer.

While the newer album (Bleed American / Self-Titled, depending on when you purchased it) is pretty much just a general alt-rock album, if you're looking for more of the emo flavor, check out Clarity. I love this album to pieces.

Do you also have their other album "Static Prevails"? And if so, what do you think of that one?
Old 04-21-02, 08:33 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "In The Middle" Poser tune, or good song?

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I like to to be discriminant of my music choices.....but this song seems damn_good. Is this a poser tune?
If you like it, listen to it.

All that poser crap is for 15 year olds who can't dare to like something out of fear that someone else has deemed it as "uncool".
Old 04-21-02, 12:42 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wormwood



Do you also have their other album "Static Prevails"? And if so, what do you think of that one?
I have that as well, and I think it's a pretty good disc. I happen to like Clarity more though.

I think this is due to the "first CD I purchased" syndrome. Clarity was the first one I bought, and I played that in my player a lot, and then came Static Prevails.
Old 04-21-02, 04:55 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 33,523
Received 226 Likes on 172 Posts
When I first heard the song, I thought it was a cover. I could swear I've heard it before, a long time ago.

Or does it just sound a lot like something else?
Old 04-21-02, 05:00 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 33,523
Received 226 Likes on 172 Posts
"Poser." Ah, I haven't heard that term used in years.

A poser -- aka poseur -- is someone who attaches themselves to a "scene" without credibility or paying their dues.

A poser can be a johnny-come-lately to a particular genre of music, either a musician or fan. It can also be someone who only "talks the talk" but doesn't "walk the walk."

I remember the term being tossed around a lot in the 1980s metal scene. The "old school" and harder metal scenesters used it as a term of derision toward the fans and musicians in the "glam" metal scene -- bands like Poison and Cinderella.
Old 04-21-02, 10:03 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,239
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Poser or non-poser, that's f'n stupid and you know it.

Either the soundwaves created by the song are pleasant to your ears, or they are not pleasant to your ears.

Period. Yes or no. That's all that counts.

Everything else is bullsh|t.
Old 04-22-02, 07:09 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver freakin' Colorado
Posts: 8,563
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by GuessWho
Poser or non-poser, that's f'n stupid and you know it.

Either the soundwaves created by the song are pleasant to your ears, or they are not pleasant to your ears.

Period. Yes or no. That's all that counts.

Everything else is bullsh|t.
Wow! The aggressive approach.

I have to respect a band to be able to enjoy their music. I know not everyone is that way...but I am. To me it's like dating a gorgeous girl with no IQ.
Old 04-22-02, 11:19 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,049
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, where's the seriously overplayed category?
Old 04-22-02, 11:54 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Three Day Delay


Wow! The aggressive approach.

I have to respect a band to be able to enjoy their music. I know not everyone is that way...but I am. To me it's like dating a gorgeous girl with no IQ.
Are you 15?

Seriously. What does it matter? You like the song? What else gives a band credibility other than their ability to write a good song? Other people's opinions?
Old 04-22-02, 12:14 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver freakin' Colorado
Posts: 8,563
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DodgingCars


Are you 15?

Seriously. What does it matter? You like the song? What else gives a band credibility other than their ability to write a good song? Other people's opinions?
Yes, I'm secretly CKMorpheus.

Simply put, I was looking for opinions on this band, since this is the only song I've heard of theirs. I try to save myself the time of pursuing more of their music if it is not a general consensus that the band is worth it.

Pardon me to pieces out of me for trying to get some input. Isn't the entire purpose of a message board to get opinions and information?
Old 04-22-02, 12:36 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Three Day Delay


Yes, I'm secretly CKMorpheus.

Simply put, I was looking for opinions on this band, since this is the only song I've heard of theirs. I try to save myself the time of pursuing more of their music if it is not a general consensus that the band is worth it.

Pardon me to pieces out of me for trying to get some input. Isn't the entire purpose of a message board to get opinions and information?
Sorry if I came off like a jerk -- it just bugs me when people don't just listen to what they want.. and base their tastes on what other people think.

Anyway, I personally think JEW is a very good band, and the whole album "Bleed America" is worth the buy.
Old 04-22-02, 02:16 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Simply put, I was looking for opinions on this band, since this is the only song I've heard of theirs. I try to save myself the time of pursuing more of their music if it is not a general consensus that the band is worth it.
Only you can decide if the band is worth it or not to you. If you like one of their songs, try listening to some more. If you like those, than buy the album. But don't let your decision ride on what the general consensus is. Buying a record because the majority of people are buying it is almost the exact definition of being a poseur.
Old 04-22-02, 02:22 PM
  #23  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,123
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I've never heard of this song.

Am I a poser? A loser? A hoser?
Old 04-22-02, 02:41 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I've never heard of this song.

Am I a poser? A loser? A hoser?
in a cave?

Old 04-22-02, 02:52 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,193
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard this song either.

I was expecting discussion on how the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack (with Stuck in the Middle With You) was being overplayed at college parties 8-10 years ago. I'm guessing that just makes me old.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.