DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Is Weezer Good Live? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/200844-weezer-good-live.html)

Mopower 04-17-02 11:30 PM

Is Weezer Good Live?

Want to go to the Weezer concert but don't know if it will be good or not. I am a huge Weezer fan and it will probably be the first/last time they will be in my area. Soo....Are they worth it?

flair 04-18-02 12:45 AM

When are you going? I have tickets to go see them on the 4th, its in ames, iowa. I would like to know how good they are also.

das Monkey 04-18-02 08:35 AM

I saw them back in '93 or '94 before they hit it big, and they weren't bad. It's hard to judge, though, because they were an opening act. I don't consider it a life altering experience, but I don't remember leaving the concert thinking they stunk. They were just "OK" I'm sure that's useless information, though, since it's almost a decade later, and things have undoubtedly changed.

das

Meatpants 04-18-02 09:56 AM

I've seen them several times, both back in the day and during the past year.

As a rule, they play almost the same set every night, about 18 songs, focusing mostly on the "hits" from Blue and Green, pretty much skipping over Pinkerton except for The Good Life or El Scorcho occasionally. There isn't much in the way of theatrics, improvisation, or interaction w/ the audience, they pretty much just stand up there and rock. Also, I've been surprised that there's not more energy from the crowds at Weezer shows, since most of the fans are in their teens.

All in all, I'd encourage you to go at least once, you can't beat hearing My Name is Jonas live. :D

Mopower 04-18-02 10:25 AM

Originally posted by flair
When are you going? I have tickets to go see them on the 4th, its in ames, iowa. I would like to know how good they are also.
Thats the one, May 4 at Hilton in Ames. Cool. :)

Deftones 04-18-02 10:56 AM

yes, they are great live, but don't expect a "show". they go up on stage, play their songs, and take off.

woofman 04-18-02 12:17 PM

I wasn't impressed. Saw them on the pinkerton tour. Could've been a bad night, but they were not happy to be there and put on a crappy show.

tank555 04-18-02 12:36 PM

I saw them in San Jose, CA as a make up to their 9/11 show. They play the same set at all their shows, but they rock hard and you've got to hear Only in Dreams once live...

Applejack 04-18-02 12:54 PM

I saw them at a festival and they were really good.

I would go see them again.

dulli 04-18-02 02:51 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I saw them back in '93 or '94 before they hit it big, and they weren't bad. It's hard to judge, though, because they were an opening act. I don't consider it a life altering experience, but I don't remember leaving the concert thinking they stunk. They were just "OK" I'm sure that's useless information, though, since it's almost a decade later, and things have undoubtedly changed.

das

Who were they opening for?

I think that was the year I saw them open for Live.

P

BenFolds 04-18-02 05:42 PM

I've downloaded videos of them playing live and it seems like they put no energy in their songs which is a shame because their songs seem like they could really rock hard live.

Rypro 525 04-18-02 06:38 PM

they did a reverb on hbo recently, check the tv gude since they sometimes play them late night

Mister Beefhead 04-23-02 11:46 AM

I went to see 'em at the United Center in Chicago a few months ago. Pretty generic show, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way, and I love Weezer. The venue was just too darned big. Weezer fans tend to sing along, and that's pretty much all you hear with a crowd that size.

I'd wait and hope for a smaller show in the future, if I were you.

monkey 04-23-02 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Mister Beefhead
I went to see 'em at the United Center in Chicago a few months ago. Pretty generic show, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way, and I love Weezer. The venue was just too darned big. Weezer fans tend to sing along, and that's pretty much all you hear with a crowd that size.

I'd wait and hope for a smaller show in the future, if I were you.

I saw them there in September. They sounded great, but were a little too laid-back for my tastes. Plus, they played an extremely short set, barely over an hour. Maybe I've just been spoiled after seeing bands like U2 and Radiohead last summer.