Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I get some feedback on our new recording?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-16-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. My band recorded a few new songs over the weekend. Only one of them is close to completion... all the instrumentation is finalized except for the vocals (my voice was tired, so I miss a bunch of notes... I'll rerecord them in a week or two). I made a rough mix of it before I left the studio and was hoping somebody could give me some feedback. You can dl it at the URL below.

http://www.ferriswheeljunkies.com/au... Rough Mix.mp3

Thanks in advance.

'E

Last edited by Evolution; 04-17-02 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-16-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds quite professional. I'm not into this style of music, but those who are will really like it (as you are talented). Keep at it.
Old 04-17-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks saoirse for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, what kind of music are you into?

'E
Old 04-17-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to be into "alternative" when I felt it was alternative. SO, I have probably been to about 400 live shows. Here's a few I've seen live:

Nirvana
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Ramones
Dayglo Abortions
Nikka Costa
Everlast
Big Pun
Lost Boyz
Caddilac Tramps
Furnace Face
WC

I used to be heavily into the alternative music scene. Now I feel that most of what is coming out in that style is just re-hashing what I've heard before. I still do listen to what I own though.
Some of my favorites would be: Sebadoh, Dead Milkmen, Luna, My Bloody Valentine, Psychic TV,...

Nowadays I have two primary intersts: Hip Hop (although a lot of it is mindless, most of what I listen to isn't and I feel there is some great creativity coming out of Hip Hop - but it can requre some searching), and Irish Rebel Music. But I do also like some Industrial, a select few 'techno' bands, some jazz and blues, as well as classical.

The only thing I really steer clear from is country.

Irish Rebel Bands I'd recommend:

Seanchai
Irish Brigade
Jolly Beggarmen
Eire Og
Pilgrims
Shebeen
Old 04-17-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People were having trouble with the link, so I upgraded our server and moved the file there. It should be accessible to everyone now, streaming or for download.

http://www.ferriswheeljunkies.com/au... Rough Mix.mp3

Thanks,
E
Old 04-17-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have your songs saved from before. This one is great as well, the bass line is very well written, and the main acoustic vibe it has works very well, perhaps the vocals are a little loud, but you've got some talent and with the wave of bands perfoming acousticish rock these days you really should be shopping your demo around to labels.

While I'm not musically narrow-minded, and i listen to many genres, I'm big into Heavy aggressive music. But I find your blend to be quite good, which is a big compliment from a Metal fan like myself.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoy the song. As for shopping a demo to labels, I'm not really into that. I have connections and could probably get a CD into the hands of someone with influence, but major labels are all sinking... the music industry is changing and I don't think a major label is the way to go anymore. I'm actually looking for a private investor... somebody who would front us money based on a returns schedule and who wouldn't be looking to exercise any artistic influence... i think that would be ideal, but who knows? Half of this business is luck. Anyway, thanks again for your feedback.

'E
Old 04-17-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't even listened to the whole song yet and I like it. Sounds pretty polished.

Have you heard of the band dredg? The song sounds very similar in structure and key. They are a VERY good tool-esque (mellower though) up and coming band.

You guys definitely have talent. I like it hehe.

edit: I really like the solo at the end too.

Last edited by Ergyu; 04-17-02 at 10:23 PM.