DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dave Matthews Band 2002 setlist thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/197838-dave-matthews-band-2002-setlist-thread.html)

pantala 04-06-02 01:56 AM

Dave Matthews Band 2002 setlist thread

Dave Matthews Band 2002 setlists
I know that there are a few DMB fans at DVDTalk (and a lot of non-fans), so here's a setlist thread. I'll post the setlist after each show, with comments if anything stands out. Everybody else feel free to comment as well! (No crapping, please.)

--------------------------------
DMB's tour kicked off yesterday (4/4) at the MCI Center in Washington DC. The setlist was incredible:

Too Much *
What Would You Say *
I Did It *
Busted Stuff *
Raven *
Warehouse *
Where Are You Going *
Drive In Drive Out *
The Space Between *
Rhyme & Reason
Big Eyed Fish
Bartender *
Grace Is Gone *
Pantala Naga Pampa *
Rapunzel *

Dont Burn The Pig *
Donít Drink the Water *

Special Guests:

* Butch Taylor

Way to say "up yours" to Glen Ballard and Everyday!

"Where Are You Going" is going to be the first single from the new album which is supposed to come out in July. I had the great fortune to be at the first performance of WAYG ever, the Paramount Theater at the Groundwork 2001 benefit.

The first full band performance of WAYG was last night, and here's an mp3 link:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~maliszes/WAYG.mp3

(Note: I'm not hosting this, so don't complain to me if it's slow or if it goes down.)

Josh H 04-06-02 12:02 PM

A set list thread would be cool.

I have tickets to both of the Pittsburgh shows, and can't wait. Can't wait for the new album either.

On a side note, I actually loved Everyday. Hopefully they'll do a few more of those songs (along with new stuff and stuff of the Lillywhite sessions) when I see them as I've saw them 3 times and don't really want to hear all the old hits again. The setlist for your show was pretty good though, I'd just like to hear a little mor Everyday stuff.

pantala 04-06-02 12:54 PM

4/5: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA

Donít Drink the Water *
If I Had It All *
When The World Ends *
Raven *
Lover Lay Down *
Busted Stuff *
So Much To Say *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Where Are You Going *
Help Myself *
Too Much *
Grace Is Gone *
Bartender *
What Would You Say *

Aint It Funny How Time Slips Away
The Space Between *
I Did It *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Among "hard core" DMB fans, it's kind of a consensus that Everyday sucked and that the older songs are "better" because they had more room for jamming and improv.. I tend to agree, although I think there are a couple decent songs on Everyday.

4/4 was a redeeming show for DMB, a sign that they were moving further away from the heavily corporate, studio sound that Glen Ballard turned Everyday into.

4/5 had a good show overall, but fell apart during the encore. "The Space Between" and "I Did It"? You can bet that lots in the crowd last night left the venue pissed off.

..The next stop: 4/7 at the Fleet Center in Boston, MA.

larryw 04-06-02 11:02 PM

When the set says "Don't Burn the Pig" is that the bastardized (IMHO) version entitled "Pig" that appears on BTCS or the good version (again IMHO) that was played before BTCS?

Setlists look decent. SMTS and Too Much could probably use a break. I'm really glad they brought back Raven, I love that song even though it seems like it wasn't that popular.

As for Everyday sucking, I believe many of the songs are good but the production doesn't really bring out the best in them. (although I don't really like how a few of them cannabilize bits from earlier songs) Like Space Between - I hate that cheezy 'dee dee dee dee dee dee etc.', but I have heard a more acoustical version that sounds pretty good.

Josh H 04-06-02 11:04 PM

Re: 4/5: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA

Among "hard core" DMB fans, it's kind of a consensus that Everyday sucked and that the older songs are "better" because they had more room for jamming and improv.. [/B][/QUOTE]

I know that. I just disagree. I've been a fan since Under the Table and Dreaming Came out. I just thought Everyday was a nice change of pace for the band. I hope the new album is also a change of pace. By that I mean different than Everyday and different than their old music.

Also, I'm an odd DMB fan. I don't like 'jamming' music as I'm not a fan of instrumentals. I cringe when I see them live and they play something like Jimi Thing that they always stretch out for 15 minutes or so. :D

pantala 04-06-02 11:26 PM

Originally posted by larryw
When the set says "Don't Burn the Pig" is that the bastardized (IMHO) version entitled "Pig" that appears on BTCS or the good version (again IMHO) that was played before BTCS?

Setlists look decent. SMTS and Too Much could probably use a break. I'm really glad they brought back Raven, I love that song even though it seems like it wasn't that popular.

As for Everyday sucking, I believe many of the songs are good but the production doesn't really bring out the best in them. (although I don't really like how a few of them cannabilize bits from earlier songs) Like Space Between - I hate that cheezy 'dee dee dee dee dee dee etc.', but I have heard a more acoustical version that sounds pretty good.

Pig is the new one, from BTCS. It's a huge deal that it was played, because last year's tour featured a "pig campaign" among fans trying to get the song played again. There were many teases, and Dave even sang a part of a verse and the bridge at the Gorge shows, but we never got a full version.

(Same for Captain.. lots of teases at the Gorge, no full :( ).

SMTS->Too Much does deserve a break, but not as much as Watchtower, which luckily hasn't been played this tour yet. (Too Much is different with Butch Taylor on keys.. much funkier, and cooler I think).

Raven from 4/4 was great (listening to it right now), and everyone is waiting for the 4/5 Raven to see if the words have been solidified (a sign that it is going to be on the new album). (The lyric is completely different than on the Lillywhites.)

The Bus 04-07-02 11:41 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band 2002 setlist thread

Originally posted by pantala

Busted Stuff *
Big Eyed Fish
Bartender *
Grace Is Gone *

Good to see that there's lots of LWS stuff...

AndyCapps 04-07-02 11:55 AM

I find it amazing that both Pig and Raven were played two nights in a row. Another amazing thing is that one of the "heavies" in the taping scene has already started circulating a lossless recording of the 4/4 show(I love the Internet). "Where Are You Going"(which should be on the Mr. Deeds soundtrack and looks like it will be the first single from the new album) sounds pretty good with the full band(first time it's been played live by the full band).

I liked Everyday, although until my wife started playing it in her car again about a month ago I hadn't listened to it since the Lillywhites were circulated. I enjoy the ED songs when it's just Dave and a guitar(like at Farm Aid 2001 and a set he did at a Virgin Megastore in November).

pantala 04-07-02 10:31 PM

4/7: FleetCenter, Boston, MA

What Would You Say *
Grey Street *
I Did It *
You Never Know *
Crush *
Raven *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Sleep To Dream Her * -->
Grace Is Gone *
Too Much *
Busted Stuff *
Bartender *
The Space Between *
(Jam) *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Where Are You Going *
Donít Drink the Water *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Pretty good looking show.. first instinct is for me to say that if Pig is played as often as it has been so far, that it will become played out like Satellite or Watchtower (no Watchtower so far, woo!).

New song, "You Never Know".. expect mp3s and shns to be floating around sometime tonight. Some reported that Dave introduced it as "a song previously known as Captain", while others said that they heard it over cell phones and that it sounds Irish.

One other comment on the length of shows. They've been relatively short compared to past tours (this one was something like 2h25m). Hopefully they will get back up to the near 3 hours they were at the end of last year.

..The next stop: Another night at FleetCenter.

--edit--
Here's a link to "You Never Know" Thanks to Scott Brown: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sbrown/dmb2002-04-07d1t05.mp3. If you are a DMB fan, you owe it to yourself to download this song.. it is one of the most incredible sounding songs they have ever played.

AndyCapps 04-08-02 09:54 AM

Re: 4/7: FleetCenter, Boston, MA

New song, "You Never Know".. expect mp3s and shns to be floating around sometime tonight. Some reported that Dave introduced it as "a song previously known as Captain", while others said that they heard it over cell phones and that it sounds Irish.

Here's a link to "You Never Know" Thanks to Scott Brown: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sbrown/dmb2002-04-07d1t05.mp3. If you are a DMB fan, you owe it to yourself to download this song.. it is one of the most incredible sounding songs they have ever played.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that Scott Brown is a certifiable badass. In the past it's taken up to 2 weeks or longer before shows started circulating. Since 4/4 there's been three shows, and they're already circulating. I listened to some of his 4/5 pull, and it sounds incredible(I still have to check out his 4/4 to see if it's better than what I have). I guess not long after the show last night, he was already tracking it. We need to set up a grant for this guy so he can tape full-time ;).

JonTurner 04-08-02 02:20 PM

Hmm... I'm trying to find this 4/5 show that you say is of great quality... but well, heck, I'm not really finding any of their shows on his site. Does anyone have a good link, for this show? Thanks!

AndyCapps 04-08-02 03:34 PM

Originally posted by JonTurner
Hmm... I'm trying to find this 4/5 show that you say is of great quality... but well, heck, I'm not really finding any of their shows on his site. Does anyone have a good link, for this show? Thanks!
Yeah, I'm guessing he probably doesn't have 800MB/show worth of space on his school site. Here are a couple of links to DMB sites. Both have forums worth checking out, and Antsmarching has an FTP server list page.

http://www.antsmarching.org
http://anyoneseenthebridge.com

pantala 04-09-02 02:46 AM

4/8: FleetCenter, Boston, MA

So Much To Say *
When The World Ends *
Granny *
Drive In Drive Out *
Lover Lay Down *
Too Much *
Grace Is Gone *
Rhyme & Reason *
Lie In Our Graves *
Digging a Ditch *
Grey Street *
Warehouse *
Where Are You Going *
I Did It *

Space Between *
What Would You Say? *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Compared to the hype from last night's show and "You Never Know", tonight's setlist seemed pretty mellow. Those expecting another debut or resurrection song were disappointed, but tonight's set was pretty balanced. All of the opening songs have been very crowd-friendly, and "Granny" was good to see again. "Lie In Our Graves" is always a nice long jam, especially with Butch.

Pretty weak closer with "I Did It". Why the band still is compelled to play it, along with "The Space Between" at every show (it has been played at every show this and last tour), I can't quite figure out. If they would only substitute "So Right" for IDI every once in a while, they could at least get a decent jam out of an Everyday song.

In other news, http://www.adamsandler.com/02_sandle...eds/deeds.html has the full trailer for Mr. Deeds which features the studio version of "Where Are You Going" for the first 10 seconds or so. The song (what we hear of it) sounds great, and the super-highly-studio-polished sound of Glen Ballard is gone.

..The next stop: 4/10 at First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA.

BenFolds 04-09-02 04:30 PM

No "two step" or "best of whats around" yet. I hope they start ripping these out.

pantala 04-11-02 12:26 AM

4/10: First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA

What Would You Say *
Raven *
Too Much *
The Space Between *
Grey Street *
When The World Ends *
You Never Know *
I Did It *
Grace Is Gone *
The Stone *
Lie In Our Graves *
If I Had It All *
Drive In Drive Out *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Where Are You Going *
Donít Drink the Water *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

To say that this setlist is boring means a lot. The fact that this mix of songs is just average compared to other shows in this new tour really highlights the quality sets that the band has been playing lately. Even though it was average, I would still have been happy being at this show.

The Stone is one of my favorites, and seeing Big Eyed Fish in regular rotation is great. Word is that You Never Know sounded very similar to the first time it was played live, so it looks like it will be on the new album. (Remember that Dave said in an interview that he had written upwards of 25 new songs (including the Lillywhite songs).. all 25 definately won't make it onto the album, so we are bound to hear new non-album songs.)

..The next stop: Friday 4/12 at Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI.

Josh H 04-11-02 12:37 PM

Re: 4/10: First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA

To say that this setlist is boring means a lot. The fact that this mix of songs is just average compared to other shows in this new tour really highlights the quality sets that the band has been playing lately. Even though it was average, I would still have been happy being at this show.

I thought that setlist was the best so far. :p :D

pantala 04-13-02 04:19 AM

4/12: Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI

Too Much *
Grey Street *
If I Had It All *
I Did It *
You Never Know *
Crush *
Drive In Drive Out *
One Sweet World *
Lover Lay Down *
So Much To Say *
Grace Is Gone *
Dont Burn The Pig *
The Space Between *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
Two Step *

Where Are You Going *
Ants Marching *

Special Guests
* Butch Taylor

Woo! Great to see older songs--One Sweet World, Ants Marching, & Two Step--make their 2002 premieres. The band looks to be really pushing Where Are You Going in anticipation of the first single release in May and also possibly to promote the new Adam Sandler movie.

It is kind of funny that there were so many fan requests and band teases of Pig last tour with no full length version, and this tour has seen 4 full versions in 6 shows. Too Much, I Did It, WAYG, The Space Between, and Grace Is Gone have been played at every show so far.

Here is a link to tonight's performance of You Never Know.. it's the clearest/best recording of this incredible song so far. http://www.oakland.edu/~crcook/dave/...04-12d1t06.mp3

..The next stop: Tomorrow 4/13 at HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY. (Only 3 days until Madison Square Garden!)

db27 04-13-02 05:04 PM

Can't wait to see them in Montreal next week!

pantala 04-15-02 12:18 AM

4/13: HSBC Arena, Buffalo, NY

When The World Ends *
What Would You Say *
Grey Street *
Seek Up *
I Did It *
You Never Know *
Warehouse *
The Space Between *
Rhyme & Reason *
Lie In Our Graves *
Sleep To Dream Her * -->
Grace Is Gone *
So Much To Say * -->
Too Much *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Where Are You Going *
Two Step *

Special Guests:
* Butch Taylor

Grey Street, Seek Up, You Never Know, Warehouse, Lie In Our Graves, and Two Step as the closer.

I think that's all I have to say!

..The next stop: Monday, 4/15 and Tuesday, 4/16 at Madison Square Garden!

Tommy_Harn 04-15-02 05:17 PM

Tonight's (Monday's) show is cancelled due to a problem with Dave's vocal chords. Tomorrow's show is still on as of now.

pantala 04-15-02 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Tonight's (Monday's) show is cancelled due to a problem with Dave's vocal chords. Tomorrow's show is still on as of now.
Dave also had to cancel his performance at Willie & Friends this past weekend (Willie Nelson benefit). Sad to see his vocal cords strained this early into the tour. Last summer, he could barely talk or sing during the third night at the Gorge (end of summer).

pantala 04-16-02 02:36 PM

Tonight's (4/16) show at MSG has also been postponed.

The rescheduled 4/15 show will be on May 28, and the rescheduled 4/16 show will be on May 29.

Hopefully Dave will be well enough to play on Friday 4/19 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

Josh H 04-16-02 05:18 PM

That sucks. I hope he heals up and this doesn't become a problem for the whole tour. It sucks for him because he loves music and performing and sucks for fans who have been waiting eagerly to see him. I don't get to go to a show until early August, that's a lot of wear and tear on his vocal chords between now and then. :(

pantala 04-20-02 02:42 AM

4/19: Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Canada

What Would You Say *
Grey Street *
I Did It *
You Never Know *
Too Much *
What You Are *
Donít Drink the Water *+
Grace Is Gone *
Drive In Drive Out *
Dont Burn The Pig *
The Space Between *
So Much To Say *
Lie In Our Graves *+
Raven *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *

Where Are You Going *
Ants Marching *

Special Guests:

* Butch Taylor
+ Bela Fleck

Looks like Dave's vocal cords are getting better, but there was a posting on the DMB road page from the crew saying that they're still trying to keep the frog out of his throat. Sounds like he's stressing himself too much.

With that said, this was a pretty good show. Add in Bela Fleck in a Lie In Our Graves jam and you've got an awesome show.

On another (semi) related note, I had the chance to see Robin Williams on his stand-up tour tonight, and his stage introduction music was the intro from Two Step. The tension build up was great!

..The next stop: 4/20 (hmm.. gauranteed good show?) at Corel Centre in Kanata, ON Canada.

pantala 04-21-02 12:31 AM

4/20: Corel Centre, Ontario, Canada

Donít Drink the Water *+
Rhyme & Reason *
You Never Know *
When The World Ends *
One Sweet World *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
I Did It *
Grey Street *
If I Had It All *
The Space Between *
Stone *
Too Much *
Raven *
#41 *+~

Aint It Funny How Time Slips Away
Where Are You Going *
Tripping Billies *

Special Guests:

* Butch Taylor
+ Bela Fleck
~ The Flecktones

Unbelievable! Tonight's #41 was 32 minutes long, and you can bet that the Flecktones made it incredible. Tripping Billies made its 2002 debut, which I'm sure many people were happy to hear.

Word is that Captain, of all songs, was soundchecked this morning. Captain was my favorite song off of the Lillywhites, and it's the only song that I haven't heard live that I still want to hear.

Rolling Stone magazine has a preview/review of the new album here: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=15783 They confirm that nine Lillywhites are on the new album, along with two new songs (RS only names Where Are You Going, but hopefully the second one is You Never Know).

..The next stop: Sunday 4/21 at Molson Centre in Montreal, QC Canada.