Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Life Magazine's Top 100 Rock & Rollers of All Time

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Life Magazine's Top 100 Rock & Rollers of All Time

Old 04-02-02, 01:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to KevinSmithIsGod, Lateralus and others.

I moved that post of misawa200 into the correct thread.

Benedict
Old 04-02-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

KISS has more RnR influence than Motley Crue even though the Crue does deserve respect. I can understand how REM did help out the alternative scene as well.

But where the hell is Metallica, AC/DC or Pink Floyd?
Old 04-04-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It appears they have a fairly liberal definition of a "rock & roller" and I too am mind-boggled at how you can have that list without AC/DC or Pink Floyd and someone no one's mentioned (whether you like him or not) ... Meat Loaf. This list isn't "top 100 musicians" or "top 100 influential artists" ... it's "top 100 rock & rollers" and there aren't 100 people who rocked harder than Meat Loaf in his prime. I can roll with most of the people on the list, but certainly not the order. Jimi at 16?

das
Old 04-06-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few more WTF's:
-----------------------------------------------

Black Sabbath under numbers 1-76? WTF?

Velvet Underground, so low (49?) WTF?

Madonna, so high? WTF?

Having Dr. Dre about such artists as:

Elton John
Curtis Mayfield
Black Sabbath
The Mamas and the Papas
Joni Mitchell
John Fogerty
The Pretenders
Al Green
Fleetwood Mac
Kiss
Jefferson Airplane
George Clinton
Tom Petty
The Eagles
Rage Against the Machine
Pearl Jam
Frank Zappa

is laughable.

Sting is not Rock and Roll. The Police are Rock and Roll - not Sting, even though he wrote many songs, doesn't mean he is a rock and roller...he is more soft rock to me.

BIGGEST WTF of ALL:
The Eagles number 96??? WTF?

I am exicted to see Grateful Dead so high! They ROCK!
Old 04-06-02, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by conscience
A few more WTF's:
-----------------------------------------------

Black Sabbath under numbers 1-76? WTF?

Velvet Underground, so low (49?) WTF?

Madonna, so high? WTF?

Having Dr. Dre about such artists as:

Elton John
Curtis Mayfield
Black Sabbath
The Mamas and the Papas
Joni Mitchell
John Fogerty
The Pretenders
Al Green
Fleetwood Mac
Kiss
Jefferson Airplane
George Clinton
Tom Petty
The Eagles
Rage Against the Machine
Pearl Jam
Frank Zappa

is laughable.

Sting is not Rock and Roll. The Police are Rock and Roll - not Sting, even though he wrote many songs, doesn't mean he is a rock and roller...he is more soft rock to me.

BIGGEST WTF of ALL:
The Eagles number 96??? WTF?

I am exicted to see Grateful Dead so high! They ROCK!
If they take off Sting for being "Soft rock" then they would have to take off Elton John, The Eagles, Joni Mitchell,Al Green, Mamas and papas, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Righteous Brother, Everyly brothers..christ..too many to list..you get the point..
Old 04-06-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

If they take off Sting for being "Soft rock" then they would have to take off Elton John, The Eagles, Joni Mitchell,Al Green, Mamas and papas, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Righteous Brother, Everyly brothers..christ..too many to list..you get the point..
I guess I am giving them a little leeway, seeing as how I hate Sting.

I don't want them to completely take Sting off ... just put him into the category of The Police...Did I mention I hate Sting's whole new "image". Not rock and roll.

And of those you listed about being soft rock, most if not all (maybe not Dionne Warwick, I didn't include her in my Dr. Dre rant) are or will forever be stapled as rock and roll. Bob Dylan is anything but soft rock. Mamas and the papas are good time rock and roll, Stevie Wonder is soulful rock and roll, as is Al Green. Elton John? Have you heard his albums...much rock and roll...although he has settled down. He is a rock and roller. Joni Mitchell? Soft Rock? HAHAHAHA. THE EAGLES? ROCK AND ROLL TILL THEY DIE!

Okay I'll give you Righteous Brother, Everyly brothers but no one else...

BTW, my two favorite bands are not even on the list. PINK FLOYD and AC/DC, who will forever be better than everyone on the list...The Eagles are up there, though.
Old 04-06-02, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by conscience

I guess I am giving them a little leeway, seeing as how I hate Sting.

I don't want them to completely take Sting off ... just put him into the category of The Police...Did I mention I hate Sting's whole new "image". Not rock and roll.

And of those you listed about being soft rock, most if not all (maybe not Dionne Warwick, I didn't include her in my Dr. Dre rant) are or will forever be stapled as rock and roll. Bob Dylan is anything but soft rock. Mamas and the papas are good time rock and roll, Stevie Wonder is soulful rock and roll, as is Al Green. Elton John? Have you heard his albums...much rock and roll...although he has settled down. He is a rock and roller. Joni Mitchell? Soft Rock? HAHAHAHA. THE EAGLES? ROCK AND ROLL TILL THEY DIE!

Okay I'll give you Righteous Brother, Everyly brothers but no one else...

BTW, my two favorite bands are not even on the list. PINK FLOYD and AC/DC, who will forever be better than everyone on the list...The Eagles are up there, though.
Some of those artists maybe Rock n Roll..but compared to KISS, Sabbath,RATM and others..they are mellow or soft rock..
Old 04-07-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What is Prince doing at #50?
The Band at #22?
The Doors below Michael Jackson?
The Eagles on the list?
Pavement not?

Ack.