Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Ozzy Osbourne have a greatest hits album?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-27-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I would think that he would have one out by now. I really do like his music but don't feel like buying all of his albums. Any word on this coming out in the future?
Old 03-27-02, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's called "The Ozzman Cometh" and was released in 1997. It isn't perfect but is a good sampler for someone who isn't familiar with his work or for a casual fan. Initial pressings came with a bonus disc with an interview and some Black Sabbath demos.
Old 03-27-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fsubruce
Yes, it's called "The Ozzman Cometh" and was released in 1997. It isn't perfect but is a good sampler for someone who isn't familiar with his work or for a casual fan. Initial pressings came with a bonus disc with an interview and some Black Sabbath demos.
Yeah, this is your best bet. And really, there's no excuse not to own this album.

das
Old 03-27-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by fsubruce
It isn't perfect
It could've been if it had "Flying High Again"
Old 03-27-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Instead, pick up Bark At The Moon, Diary Of A Madman, and Ozzmosis.
Old 03-27-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Does Ozzman Cometh have Bark at the Moon, No More Tears, and some of his Black Sabbath stuff? I am looking for something along those lines. Also, anyone heard his new album? If so what is it like?

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 03-27-02 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-27-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
No More Tears is probably his most well known album, but in my opinion, the least of the bunch.
Old 03-27-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These are must have OZZY CDs! Join Columbia House & get them.

Originally posted by fsubruce Initial pressings came with a bonus disc with an interview and some Black Sabbath demos.
If you want the hard to find Ozzman Cometh with 2 CDs www.secondspin.com have used copies for $11.99 each. These sell at least $20 on auction sites.

Originally posted by Dr. DVD Does it have Bark at the Moon, No More Tears, and some of his Black Sabbath stuff?
For those, I'd suggest picking up Ozzy's Live & Loud or go with 2 CDs, Black Sabbath's We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll & Ozzy's Ozzman Cometh.
Old 03-27-02, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Does Ozzman Cometh have Bark at the Moon, No More Tears, and some of his Black Sabbath stuff? I am looking for something along those lines.

Here's the track listing:

1. Black Sabbath (previously unreleased demo)
2. War Pigs (previously unreleased demo)
3. Goodbye to Romance
4. Crazy Train
5. Mr. Crowley
6. Over the Mountain
7. Paranoid (live)
8. Bark at the Moon
9. Shot in the Dark
10. Crazy Babies
11. No More Tears (edit)
12. Mama, I'm Coming Home
13. I Don't Want to Change the World (live)
14. I Just Want You
15. Back on Earth

Sounds like "Ozzman" includes most everything you're interested in, but you really should consider picking up "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary Of A Madman" too. Both of them are classic metal albums and certainly Ozzy's best work on his own.
Old 03-28-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed. Diary of a Madman is a really great album, especially the song IMO.
Old 03-28-02, 04:31 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Randy Rhoads (guitar) albums are a must. You must have Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman!
Old 01-02-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Essential Ozzy Osbourne (2 CDs) is coming Jan. 28, 2003
Old 01-03-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Both "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" are absolutely essential albums. Ozzy at his prime and absolutely stunning guitar work by Randy Rhodes.
Old 01-03-03, 04:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

The latest "re-mastering" of the first couple of Ozzy albums is something of an abomination, I think, so anyone looking out for them may be best advised tracking down original versions where all of the band members are properly represented.
Old 01-03-03, 05:17 AM
Cool New Member

Avoid the latest remasters.

Look for the 1995 22-bit remaster instead, though these are becoming difficult to get.
Old 01-03-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by bigjim25
The Essential Ozzy Osbourne (2 CDs) is coming Jan. 28, 2003
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! no tracklist available yet though
Old 01-03-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is so bad about the recent remasters? And I'm guessing that "Ozzman Cometh" greatest hits would have the original versions?
Old 01-03-03, 03:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Rypro 525, my distaste for the latest remasters is explained in the second paragraph of the article/interview I linked to above.

I won't quote it here but I am disappointed in the actions taken by Ozzy/Sharon in this instance whereas usually I have a lot of time for them regardless of what I think about particular albums or career moves.
Old 01-03-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what the bass player had to say on the rerecording for those of you who don't want to read the entire interview, or wanted more information on why
Jeb: Sony/Epic has re-released Diary Of A Madman and Blizzard Of Oz. I have heard that they recorded over your parts and Lee Kerslake's parts. Why?

Bob: It is because we have been suing them for the last four and a half years for royalties that we have not received on Blizzard and Diary. We are also suing them for credits that we didn’t receive on Diary. Now they have gotten so pissed off because we are suing them that they are saying that we are harassing their family. We have had no contact with them. Our lawyers contact their lawyers and that is it. They are going to remove us from the album because of that. It is as simple as that. My reaction is that it is a ****ing disgrace. They should not slander the memory of Randy Rhoads by putting his playing with two guys that Randy had no say in because he is dead. They have ruined a product. It is a slander towards the fans that have helped put him there. It is a finger up to them. It is that to us as well but we expect it. To do it to his own fans and his own product that has been consistently selling for 20 years? He is an idiot. Whether Ozzy did it or not I don’t know but he would have had to have given his consent.

Also, I wonder if the new essential Ozzy Osbourn disc will be the originals or the remasters.
Old 01-03-03, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

The original bass and drums sections have been removed and replaced in the latest re-masters (at least for the first two albums).

This is a re-recording and NOT re-master. I would say this action compares to what films being revised/revisited or whatever you want to call them.

Also, I wonder if the new essential Ozzy Osbourn disc will be the originals or the remasters.
I feel there is little hope that these will be originals.
Old 01-03-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Yeah, if you get "Blizzard" or "Diary" CDs, get the older re-mastered versions.

There are three releases that I know of for each:

1 - The original CD releases. I have one of these for "Diary" and it sounds pretty bad. I don't expect "Blizzard" sounds much better.

2 - The re-mastered CD releases. These are the ones with the shrunken cover art. If you want the original recordings, this is the one to get.

3 - The current versions. These have full-sized artwork, but the drum/bass tracks have been re-recorded. (Which, I agree with benedict that it was a ****ty thing to do to both the original musicians and the fans). These also have extra tracks, so I might have to hold my nose and pick them up eventually.

I have both albums on NM-M condition vinyl.
Old 01-04-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can't go wrong with picking up the "velvet border" album cover CDs. They should be easy to find used.
Old 01-04-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the link Rypro 525

I never knew just how involved Bob Daisley was with the Ozzy recordings, he even wrote most of the lyrics! What's next, are they going to kick out Geezer Butler on the Sabbath recordings?

Somehow I think Sharon Osbourne has more to do with this then Ozzy and it's all about money.
Old 01-06-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
Thanks for the link Rypro 525

I never knew just how involved Bob Daisley was with the Ozzy recordings, he even wrote most of the lyrics! What's next, are they going to kick out Geezer Butler on the Sabbath recordings?

Somehow I think Sharon Osbourne has more to do with this then Ozzy and it's all about money.
Gee, ya think? Ozzy does whatever she tells him. I think anyone who has read interviews with her know she's a vengeful businesswoman.
Old 01-12-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the 29 song track list for THE ESSENTIAL OZZY OSBOURNE.
Disc: 1
1. Crazy Train
2. Mr. Crowley
3. I Don't Know (Live)
4. Suicide Solution
5. Goodbye To Romance
6. Over The Mountain
7. Flying High Again
8. Diary Of A Madman
9. Paranoid (Live)
10. Bark At The Moon
11. You're No Different
12. Rock 'n' Roll Rebel
13. Crazy Babies
14. Miracle Man
15. Fire In The Sky
16. Breakin' All The Rules
Disc: 2
1. Mama, I'm Coming Home
2. Desire
3. No More Tears
4. Time After Time
5. Road To Nowhere
6. I Don't Want To Change The World (Live)
7. Perry Mason
8. I Just Want You
9. Thunder Underground
10. See You On The Other Side
11. Gets Me Through
12. Dreamer
13. No Easy Way Out

Been better if they included Shot In The Dark & Back On Earth. Ozzy has said he hated The Ultimate Sin because it's too pop sounding, that's probably why Shot was missing from this album and the remastered OZZMAN COMETH.

Last edited by bigjim25; 01-12-03 at 10:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.