Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

SCRATCH (the movie) CD...know any artists?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-12-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought the new X-ecutioners disc (loved it) and saw a trailer for the new SCRATCH documentary. Here's what the CDs all about (from www.scratchmovie.com):

[[ Music Inspired by SCRATCH, produced by Bill Laswell, will be available in record stores on February 12, 2002, from Transparent Music. While it is the official soundtrack for SCRATCH, it's not a straight reproduction of all the breaks and tracks heard with the film. Rather, the disc distills the essence of the film into 45 minutes of wrist-cramping insanity.

Dialog from the movie by the likes of GrandWizzard Theodore, Mix Master Mike, DJ Shadow, and Afrika Bambaataa is combined with studio tracks from cutting edge DJs and breathtaking live performances, painting a compelling portrait of this core element of hip hop.

Packed with rare cuts, the record features two exclusive Rob Swift tracks ("My Style" and "Re-Animator"), an exclusive Grandmixer DXT track ("Cut Transmitter"), and, as its centerpiece, a reformulated version of Herbie Hancockšs legendary "Rockit," featuring Mixmaster Mike, Grandmixer DXT, Rob Swift, Qbert, Faust & Shortee, and Babu.The film teaches us just how important a role this pioneering tune played in the development of this artistic movement. "Rockit 2.002" pays tribute to one of the most groundbreaking compositions of its time, performed by those it influenced the most.

Rounding out the record are tracks from the X-Executioners feat DJ Premier, Cat Five vs. Snake Eyez, Eddie Def (of the Bullet Proof Space Travelers), the Invisibl Scratch Picklz, and Boogie Boy and Kid Delight with Afrika Bambaataa. ]]

Can anyone recommend any of these artists? I want another album and I might not find the SCRATCH CD in local stores.
Old 03-12-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been waiting for this movie for like 2 years now. As for the artists I know:

Babu is the producer for the hip-hop group Dilated Peoples. I'm not a big fan, but their CD's are cheap and the production is pretty tight.

The Invisibl Skratch Piklz are pretty out there, I've listened to some of their music and haven't grown to appreciate it. I do own DJ Qbert's Wave Twisters, though, which I love. The DVD is especially dope.

DJ Shadow is great. Check out Endtroducing, U.N.K.L.E., and the new album dropping soon. His Brainfreeze and Product Placement collabs with Cut Chemist are also of interest.
Old 03-12-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aghama, thanks for the input. The movie starts here in Colorado on April 5. I can't wait. I remember when I first got into listening to rap when I was in junior high, I always thought the scratching was the best part. Too few groups used it, however. Then it all but just went away. I'm glad it's making a resurgence.

Of the albums you've mentioned, which would you recommend the most?
Old 03-12-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got a few discs by the Invisibl Skratch Picklz, and they are pretty out there...more avant garde than most of the other turntablists. DJ Shadow is excellent, and I think he actually surpasses turntablism to create something different entirely. Rob Swift is alright...I've got his album "The Ablist" but don't give it much play anymore.

A good start into the turntablist genre would be any of the Return of the DJ cds put out by Bomb Hip-Hop...although Volumes 1 & 2 are especially good...or one of the Deep Concentration albums. Some of my favorite DJs in this genre are: DJ Z-Trip, Cut Chemist, DJ Shadow, Mixmaster Mike (although Anti-Theft Device isn't a really good disc), the Beat Junkies, and the Bombshelter DJs.

If you can find "Uneasy Listening Vol. 1" by DJ Z-Trip and DJ P, buy it. It's the best turntablist cd I've ever heard. It's limited to a run of 1000 copies, so it might be kind of tough to track down though...