Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bono's Big Head

Old 03-03-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bono's Big Head

I've noticed a lot of people slamming Bono recently for his ego. I can't argue much this point. And I don't want to. I like U2, but not enough to not complain about their latest recording. However, I really have respected Bono's views on many subjects (inside and outside of music). Sometimes I laugh when a celebrity gets involved with politics... like "Who do they think they are?" After reading this Time Magazine article, I respect Bono MUCH more.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...212636,00.html

Is he using his status to try and make change? Sure he is. And this is one time I think this celebrity is trying to do something very cool.
Old 03-04-02, 08:34 AM

While some may argue that many celebrities get involved with causes to further boost their ego, I usually can care less. If it furthers a cause then overall it was beneficial, regardless of personal gains the celebrity is striving for (if any).

However, Bono still gets on my nerves, particularly in non-cause related interviews and speeches.

He just came out and publicly apologized for his behavior at last week's Grammys, stating that he was drunk. He must be an alcoholic because his appearance at this year's Grammys was no more heady that last year's. Points gained for apologizing, points lost for being drunk in a high profile appearance.

- Matt C.
Old 03-04-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just tired of U2 in general....This last album 'ATYCLB' was just dull rock---though the only U2 albums I own are 'Achtung Baby' and 'Zooropa'---but they did not deserve the acclaim and 'panic--in-the-streets' aura that surrounded them and this album for the last year and more....
Old 03-04-02, 10:36 AM

I used to be a big U2 fan, but their sound is tired . . . they are reaching rock dinosaur status. At the same time Bono is becoming more and more outspoken. So maybe I dislike him because I'm not a U2 fan anymore, or maybe he really does talk too much.

I think he just needs attention, and they keep putting out pop albums so that he preach to his followers . . . and make the rest of us listen incidently.
Old 03-05-02, 02:02 PM

I wish he'd just cut it with the endless extracurricular crap and record more often. I often get the feeling that the 3 other guys in the band want to start rolling their eyes and looking at their watches during some of Bono's endless blather about endangered hamsters or something.