Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Old 05-07-24, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 777 Likes on 633 Posts
Re: The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Gene Simmons appeared on American Idol

Old 06-20-24, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

Has anyone else seen this yet?

I honestly can't decide if it's cool or not ...
Old 06-21-24, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,218 Likes on 745 Posts

Thanks for posting. I actually think it sounds decently authentic and could have easily fit on Rock And Roll Over or the Paul Stanley KISS solo album.

I looked at the comments and the owner of the channel explained what he did: "The Songs on my channel are all songs that I have written and then I've used A.I. to make the music and provide the singer. I've done about 12 or so KISS style songs, but of course I didn't want to use their name..so I have created this fictional AI band for the purpose of posting the videos. So, everything on my channel is songs that have been written by a human but all of the music and voices are done with artificial intelligence (None of the bands are "Real")."

Old 06-21-24, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 792 Likes on 571 Posts

I was never a fan of their music... more of a fan of their looks. Seeing the individual head shot album covers on the backs of comic books made it feel like they were the same, especially since they had their own Marvel title.

It wasn't until much later when I came to enjoy stuff from Lick it Up and Animalize, but by that time they had unmasked and replaced Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. Prior to that all I knew was Beth and the movie KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.
Old 06-21-24, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Those are still some of my all time favorite album covers, I love how they look. And highly nostalgic to me due to being plastered all over comic book and magazine covers at the time, plus me seeing them in record stores everywhere in the Fall of 1978 as I was buying them one by one (even Peter's, which wasn't exactly great sounding to a hard rock loving 10 year old me ). I spent many an evening back then lying on the living room floor (listening to my KISS records on the family stereo) with a pencil and paper, carefully copying those very album covers.
Old 06-22-24, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Those are still some of my all time favorite album covers, I love how they look. And highly nostalgic to me due to being plastered all over comic book and magazine covers at the time, plus me seeing them in record stores everywhere in the Fall of 1978 as I was buying them one by one (even Peter's, which wasn't exactly great sounding to a hard rock loving 10 year old me ).
I found these four solo albums in the cutout bins back in the day. At the time, the only one I found listenable more than once was the Ace Frehley one.

As I got older, I found the one I listened to more consistently was the Peter Criss one. I rarely ever listened to the Gene and Paul ones.
Old 06-22-24, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,218 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I found these four solo albums in the cutout bins back in the day. At the time, the only one I found listenable more than once was the Ace Frehley one.

As I got older, I found the one I listened to more consistently was the Peter Criss one. I rarely ever listened to the Gene and Paul ones.
That is so nice to hear. I always think I am on an island with my enjoyment of that album. It consistently gets rated as junk by everyone who is a KISS fan, but it is my 2nd favorite of the four.

I am an oddball but my favorite of the four in order are:
Gene Simmons
Peter Criss
Ace Frehley
Paul Stanley

I always liked the Gene and Peter albums because they sounded polar opposite from any of the KISS albums and seemed like true solo albums. But I know I am in the vast minority on my opinion of these. Ace's is a great rock album and Paul's just sounds like an inferior KISS album to me. If you like easy listening 70s music, then you will like Peter's album. Just go in not expecting anything KISS like.

One of my earliest memories was watching Saturday morning TV in 1978 and seeing that artwork on a commercial advertising them. I remember thinking that they looked like the coolest shit I had ever seen. I was only 5 years old, but it stuck with me. I had a friend down the street my same age who was allowed to listen to them, have posters of them, etc. (I was not because they were "satanic") and we started a secret KISS club. My parents would have lost their shit had they known.
Old 06-22-24, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,630 Posts

My ranking would be:

Ace
Paul
Gene
Peter

I thinks Ace's and Paul's albums are fantastic, Gene's is an interesting experiment, I like the Beatlesque songs like "See You Tonight" (KISS Unplugged had a great rendition of that song). I don't think Peter's is horrible, and I do love the album closer "I Can't Stop the Rain", but it wasn't really my thing, especially as a ten year old, a bit too easy listening for me. I remember having those posters plastered on my bedroom wall for a few years, I still have my original albums of these, but the posters look pretty ragged at this point, full of pinholes and taped up tears.

It's funny how many people I hear about who's parents thought they were satanic and refused to let them listen to them/buy their albums. My mom said one of her friends asked her if she was worried about her son listening to such a band. My mom just laughed and said "Why, they're only a rock band?" My parents gave me plenty of KISS albums, and a couple of the KISS dolls for Christmas presents.
Old 06-22-24, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 162 Posts

Watching TV this weekend I saw (every commercial break, it seemed) a new Applebee's ad featuring Rock and Roll All Nite. Guess the new owners of the catalog have finally started putting their new investment to work for them.