Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Old 11-29-22, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts
Re: The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Didn't Vinnie get threatened with litigation for showing up at some Kiss-adjacent convention in full Ankh Warrior makeup?
Old 11-30-22, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,219 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I have read around the net about the volume being really low on the surround mixes and way too jacked up on the stereo, anyone care to comment that has heard it?

I will let you know after Xmas. My wife bought me the big set but I can't get it until then.

I loved the Destroyer set. I will they would do one of these for all of their albums. Really nice-looking sets with a lot of stuff I don't have.
Old 11-30-22, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Didn't Vinnie get threatened with litigation for showing up at some Kiss-adjacent convention in full Ankh Warrior makeup?
What is the official name of Vinnie's character? When I was a kid, everyone I knew called him "Guitar Wizard," but online it seems like "Ankh Warrior" is the name I see most.
Old 11-30-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Interesting, I never heard "Guitar Wizard", only "Ankh Warrior" or some variation.
Old 11-30-22, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts

I've heard "the Wizard" but not "Guitar Wizard".

From what I have read/heard in the past he did play on some tracks on Creatures (an above post mentioned he did not).
Old 12-02-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow

From what I have read/heard in the past he did play on some tracks on Creatures (an above post mentioned he did not).
That's what I've read as well. Ace on the other hand wasn't involved at all other than some promotional television appearances in Europe (and the "I Love it Loud" video of course).
Old 12-02-22, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

At times I wonder if producer Michael James Jackson was the main driving force behind Creatures. Basically he was the "adult in the room" who managed everything flowing along so that it didn't become a complete clusterfuck.

Jackson also produced "Lick It Up", Armored Saint's first major label album "March of the Saint", LA Guns "Hollywood Vampires".

Out of these albums, I get the impression Jackson put a lot of effort into getting the song writing arrangements right.
Old 12-02-22, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
At times I wonder if producer Michael James Jackson was the main driving force behind Creatures. Basically he was the "adult in the room" who managed everything flowing along so that it didn't become a complete clusterfuck.

Jackson also produced "Lick It Up", Armored Saint's first major label album "March of the Saint", LA Guns "Hollywood Vampires".

Out of these albums, I get the impression Jackson put a lot of effort into getting the song writing arrangements right.

Not only Jackson but Vinnie Vincent also co-wrote songs on Creatures and Lick it Up. I know he was an unconscionable ball breaker but he had his uses. He also co-wrote on Revenge and I think that's the best non-make-up Kiss record of them all.
Old 12-03-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Vincent may have been an insufferable pain in the ass, and his own worst enemy, but he was a good songwriter.

Old 12-03-22, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He also co-wrote on Revenge and I think that's the best non-make-up Kiss record of them all.
At times I wonder if Vinnie Vincent was hard pressed for cash at the time, and was willing to sign a deal with "the devil" (ie. gene).
Old 12-03-22, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At times I wonder if Vinnie Vincent was hard pressed for cash at the time, and was willing to sign a deal with "the devil" (ie. gene).
It probably sucked when the guys in his own band walked and formed their own band to greater success than VVI ever had.
Old 12-07-22, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up ordering the new Creatures vinyl during The Sound of Vinyl's sale for $23 (30% off ), I hope it's a nice pressing.
The following users liked this post:
morriscroy (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
KISS has really bottomed out in the early 1980s. The solo albums weren't well-received, the disco direction of "Dynasty" turned a lot of people off, and "Unmasked" and "The Elder" were duds.
From that era, I really liked Dynasty. Other than maybe "I was made for lovin' you", it didn't sound like "disco" to my ears.

IIRC on the "double platinum" comp album, there was a 1978 re-recording ot Strutter which purportedly might have sounded more "disco". Other than maybe the hi-hat cymbals being played as a sixteenth notes beat reminiscent of "disco" drum tracks, it still sounded like a "rock" song.

https://www.drumbarossa.com/level-1-...beats-rh-on-hh
https://studydrums.com/ccrtdsco.html

In the case of Unmasked and the The Elder, I thought the songwriting was just plain mediocre or outright crap. Other than maybe the first songs on side 1 of Unmasked ("Is That You"), I found both albums to be largely unlistenable. (Disco or no disco).

Old 12-07-22, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unpopular opinion: I'm a big fan of Dynasty/Unmasked/Elder, love all three albums.

Spiderbite (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Unpopular opinion: I'm a big fan of Dynasty/Unmasked/Elder, love all three albums.
The only reason I ever purchased the Unmasked and Elder, was that I found them both in the $2 dump bins back in the mid 80s. They both had a hole punched into the corner.

After listening to them several times, I could see why they were $2 dump bin fodder.

Old 12-07-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll defend those two albums to my grave. I wish I had found them cheap in cutout bins, I bought both as European imports back in the mid 80s.

morriscroy (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 05:40 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm a big Dynasty apologist -- it's an album I return to every so often. Their cover of the Stones' 2,000 Man is the highlight for me. The next three were largely duds - though not entirely -- some bright spots here and there. They were back on track with Lick it Up.
Old 12-07-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not so unpopular; I listen to more 1978-1982 Kiss than I do any other era. Pretty much the solo LPs through Creatures of the Night provide for a more diverse and compelling listening experience.
cultshock (12-08-22)
Old 12-07-22, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I'm a big Dynasty apologist -- it's an album I return to every so often. Their cover of the Stones' 2,000 Man is the highlight for me. The next three were largely duds - though not entirely -- some bright spots here and there. They were back on track with Lick it Up.
LIU over Creatures? Creatures largely a dud? Oy vey iz mir...
Old 12-07-22, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From that era, I really liked Dynasty. Other than maybe "I was made for lovin' you", it didn't sound like "disco" to my ears.

IIRC on the "double platinum" comp album, there was a 1978 re-recording ot Strutter which purportedly might have sounded more "disco". Other than maybe the hi-hat cymbals being played as a sixteenth notes beat reminiscent of "disco" drum tracks, it still sounded like a "rock" song.
I think that the thing about KISS is that they blew up in the late 1970s, and had become self-indulgent (the solo albums, "Double Platinum," the tv movie) and cartoony (again, the tv movie; the dolls, the make-up kits, and all of the other merchandise filling up toy store shelves). They became hugely popular with children, and I think that alienated a lot of their older fanbase. It wasn't dangerous and sexy, it was a toy line.

I don't think it was flirting with disco that tanked them in the 1980s, it was that their late teen/early 20s fanbase had abandoned them when they went after the kiddie market, and the kids who bought the dolls and lunch boxes in the 70s outgrew them.

At that point, they didn't have much choice other than to ditch the make-up and redefine themselves as 80s glam metal. And, on top of that, the band was already slowly disintegrating.
Old 12-07-22, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 381 Posts

I always get a kick out of kids listening to and dressing up as KISS, do the parents not listen to the lyrics?

Mom, what is "Love Gun" about?

Uh....it is about doing your homework, yeah that is it. Now go to bed.
Old 12-07-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I always get a kick out of kids listening to and dressing up as KISS, do the parents not listen to the lyrics?

Mom, what is "Love Gun" about?
Love Gun? I don't see any "love gun" here!

Old 12-07-22, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think that the thing about KISS is that they blew up in the late 1970s, and had become self-indulgent (the solo albums, "Double Platinum," the tv movie) and cartoony (again, the tv movie; the dolls, the make-up kits, and all of the other merchandise filling up toy store shelves). They became hugely popular with children, and I think that alienated a lot of their older fanbase. It wasn't dangerous and sexy, it was a toy line.

I don't think it was flirting with disco that tanked them in the 1980s, it was that their late teen/early 20s fanbase had abandoned them when they went after the kiddie market, and the kids who bought the dolls and lunch boxes in the 70s outgrew them.

At that point, they didn't have much choice other than to ditch the make-up and redefine themselves as 80s glam metal. And, on top of that, the band was already slowly disintegrating.
Short answer: they changed from a band and became a business which drove the initial change, IMO.
Old 12-07-22, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
LIU over Creatures? Creatures largely a dud? Oy vey iz mir...
Commercially speaking. It was't a huge seller.

I like Creatures - one of their heavier and darker albums. Then again, I like Unmasked and The Elder as well.
Old 12-07-22, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,219 Likes on 746 Posts

I'll defend those two albums to my grave. I wish I had found them cheap in cutout bins, I bought both as European imports back in the mid 80s.
I freaking love Unmasked. Such a great album all the way through. Pop Rock perfection with just enough cheese without going into excess.

I do get the hate for The Elder though. "Just A Boy" may possibly be KISS's worst all time song...and they do have several stinkers even for an uber-fan like me. And even though KISS is not known for snappy lyrics, the majority of lyrics on that entire album are just lazy and embarrassing.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Dynasty is a great album as well. Not only are the two disco songs great and immediately hummable but there are some decent rockers on there with Charisma, Magic Touch & X-Ray Eyes...along with the rest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.