Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Coachella Musical Festival Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One and Only Coachella Musical Festival Thread

Old 01-19-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Coachella 2010

Originally Posted by sauce07
You only mentioned Phish and The Boss as bands from last year, what about all of these...
Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, David Byrne, Wilco, Al Green, Snoop Dogg, Elvis Costello, Erykah Badu, Paul Oakenfold, Ben Harper and Relentless7, The Mars Volta, TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, MGMT, The Decemberists, Bon Iver, Rodrigo y Gabriela, of Montreal, Coheed and Cambria, Animal Collective, Jenny Lewis, Neko Case, Santigold, Passion Pit, Phoenix and tons of others.
Of those acts, I like (old) Elvis Costello, TV On The Radio, Al Green, MGMT, Santigold and David Byrne's work with Talking Heads... but none of them enough to travel 3 hours (especially since Elvis and Byrne both played Louisville earlier that year..... I love The Police, the one GREAT Coachella score IMO, but they played here two weeks after Bonnaroo so I saved my gas and saw them here). But honestly, to me it was a dismal roster in what I listen to compared to Coachella's last year.

Looking at Wiki, Franz Ferdinand, Paul McCartney, The Ting Tings, The Chemical Brothers (DJ Set), Fleet Foxes, The Killers, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure were all acts that played last year I would've loved to have seen, and The Killers are the only one of those acts that even come near my region which usually seems to draw country and redneck rock (Ting Tings were supposed to do Bonnaroo but cancelled apparantly).

This year at Coachella I'd love to see Muse, Vampire Weekend, Fever Ray, Grace Jones, La Roux, David Guetta, Hot Chip, Devo, Sia, Sly And The Family Stone, Gary Numan and Little Boots. I'd travel 3-4 hours for that lineup if I lived nearby. Most of these acts will never touch the midwest and I'm sure Bonnaroo would thumb their noses at these acts except maybe Vampire Weekend because they aren't "hip" enough. Bonnaroo seems to have an axe to grind with that style of music and would never even consider inviting 90% of these acts... I mean, Hot Chip is all synthesizer, Bonnaroo seems to hate electronic music.
Old 01-19-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You mean Hot Chip that played Bonnaroo in 2007?

Bonnaroo has tons of Synthesizer music, that's how I discovered Passion Pit last year.
Old 01-19-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts

What, no Adam Lambert?
Old 01-19-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
What, no Adam Lambert?
Yeah I thought he was going to save rock music
Old 01-19-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why are we even still talking about Adam Lambert? his 15 minutes have been up
Old 01-19-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
You mean Hot Chip that played Bonnaroo in 2007?

Bonnaroo has tons of Synthesizer music, that's how I discovered Passion Pit last year.
well, you got me there. I really didn't pay attention to Bonnaroo until 2008 so I had no idea they had Hot Chip. It seems like for the most part, they get groups that are considered "cool" to like by a certain segment (I went to high school in the 90's) and Bonnaroo always invites the group those people like, but never anything regarded as "outsider" music. Keep in mind, I am from Louisville KY (roughly 3 hrs from Bonnaroo), stuff like Depeche Mode, Bjork, Prince, The Cure, even freaking Madonna that have played Coachella are viewed as "outsider" music here that has never been cool to like, so Bonnaroo has never even considered inviting them because listening to Bjork in high school wasn't exactly cool but listening to Beastie Boys and NIN was.

If I lived somewhere else I probably wouldn't vent so much, but living in the middle of nowhere sucks if you're a fan of certain artists. A lot of acts that I love just see KY as "red state" and avoid it like the plague so most of the time we get acts, its artists that aren't to my liking (country, bands like Nickelback, etc...) but I wish we had a nearby music festival ala Coachella that could draw in these bands who automatically assume they have no fans outside of major metropolitan cities. The closest most bands I like come is Chicago and that's 6 hours away, I'd be willing to go to Cincinnati or Indianapolis for a lot of bands like PSB, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Bjork and so forth, but they just usually completely skip over this area.
Old 01-20-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Bonnaroo never appeals to my musical tastes. Every year Coachella scores at least a few acts I'd totally travel for. Madonna, Prince, Depeche Mode, The Killers, Grace Jones, Bjork and of course tons of the lower-tier artists (I see at least 10 acts I'd travel to see this year alone). It seems to court a more diverse crowd while Bonnaroo just courts the bands that were "cool" to like in high school (it wasn't "cool" to like Prince, Madonna or Depeche when I was in high school in the 90's... you were labeled gay if you were a fan... somehow these Bonnaroo people are still stuck on that label). Never anything I'm into and I consider myself to be rather diverse, last year The Ting Tings were the only act they had I liked at all but I wasn't going to drive 3 hours just for them.

I saw The Stones in 2006, I wouldn't see them again, today's Stones and the Stones of the 1970's are worlds apart.
I've been out of high school for 25 years and last year's Bonarroo lineup was incredible. Depeche Mode was the ultimate high school band when I was in school. And Madonna and Prince? Are you kidding me? Do you know how many girls dressed like Madonna and bought copies of Purple Rain?
Old 01-20-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What's the one up in Washington? Bigfoot or something? I think they have had the best lineups of recent years, but it's around Memorial Day and I can never get time off to go.
Close..Sasquatch .

I'm hoping with no Soundgarden this year at Coachella, that Soundgarden's first show back will be their home state at Sasquatch.
Old 01-20-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I've been out of high school for 25 years and last year's Bonarroo lineup was incredible. Depeche Mode was the ultimate high school band when I was in school. And Madonna and Prince? Are you kidding me? Do you know how many girls dressed like Madonna and bought copies of Purple Rain?
I said when I went to high school *in the 1990's*. The mid-90's was a good decade after Purple Rain and Madonna's breakthrough -- this was the era of gangsta rap and grunge music. Plus on top of that I went to an all-boys school. The only people I knew who admitted to liking Madonna are all out of the closet now. I remember very well that everyone called Prince a word that begins with f and ends with g. In the 90's, it was cool to like Phish, Beastie Boys, Rage, NIN, Pearl Jam, etc.... and all of those bands come to Bonnaroo. Yet Bonnaroo never attempts to court Depeche, Madonna, PSB, Prince, Bjork, Grace Jones, The Cure and other acts Coachella welcomes with open arms.

Last edited by nothingfails; 01-20-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I said when I went to high school *in the 1990's*. The mid-90's was a good decade after Purple Rain and Madonna's breakthrough -- this was the era of gangsta rap and grunge music. Plus on top of that I went to an all-boys school. The only people I knew who admitted to liking Madonna are all out of the closet now. I remember very well that everyone called Prince a word that begins with f and ends with g. In the 90's, it was cool to like Phish, Beastie Boys, Rage, NIN, Pearl Jam, etc.... and all of those bands come to Bonnaroo. Yet Bonnaroo never attempts to court Depeche, Madonna, PSB, Prince, Bjork, Grace Jones, The Cure and other acts Coachella welcomes with open arms.
I think your hate of Bonnaroo is once again clouding your vision. Rage has never played Bonnaroo, but they did play Coachella. The Beastie Boys and NIN have both played Coachella. Phish has only played 1 festival that they personally didn't run and that was Bonnaroo.

A few of Coachella's headliners haven't played Bonnaroo, but many of the smaller print artist have. Madonna and especially Prince would fit right into Bonnaroo's atmosphere, but I understand you have to pay them $5 million to show up. Depeche Mode, Bjork and Grace Jones would all fit into Bonnaroo's late night schedule and the people there would love it. I will admit that The Cure wouldn't fit in at Bonnaroo.
Old 01-20-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure Madonna costs an arm and a leg, I doubt Prince is that expensive because in the 90's he actually played a show at Ear-X-Tacy Records here in Louisville, and that's a small record store that almost never gets A-list in-store performances, they had Foo Fighters and Indigo Girls and that's about it besides Prince for *major* acts. Anyways, if Bonnaroo can afford the Stones and Springsteen, I'm sure Madonna and Prince wouldn't totally be out of reach as well. I am sure The Stones don't come cheap.

But like I said, if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, it probably wouldn't piss me off as much. I actually had this conversation with a friend from Indianapolis a few weeks ago about how the KY/OH/IN area sucks to live in if you're a fan of certain artists because we're seen as a white trash area and attract that sort of artist while most of the "big" bands, and groups that are electronic or British or gay (and you can mix and match more than one of those) avoid us like a plague, while acts like Nickelback and Kid Rock come here all the time, so it sucks for those of us who would travel a few hours to see groups like Depeche Mode or PSB or Bjork or whoever else because they never come closer than Chicago or Atlanta which is at least a six hour drive either way.
Old 01-21-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I personally would not want to go to a festival like Bonarroo and see Madonna or Prince. You could get 20 smaller acts. Aren't these supposed to be indie-type festivals in the first place?
Old 01-21-10, 12:55 PM

Seriously sick line up.

I'd go if I hadn't just hit Indio in October for Festival 8.

Oh well, I'm thinking a lot of these bands will play Sasquatch too, which is more economically feasible for me to attend.
Old 01-21-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally would not want to go to a festival like Bonarroo and see Madonna or Prince. You could get 20 smaller acts. Aren't these supposed to be indie-type festivals in the first place?
well, I wouldn't exactly classify Springsteen or The Rolling Stones as smaller indie type acts.

Bonnaroo would be worth travelling to see Madonna because the last time she even came near this region was during the Like A Virgin era... I was six years old then.

Prince actually works well with festivals, he played an amazing (bootlegs are around) set at the Montreaux Jazz Festival last year.
Old 02-16-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I just got my ticket this week. I am camping and this will be my first festival besides the local 1 day with smaller & local acts. Very pumped, and I will get to grab some In & Out Burger while I am out there.

Last edited by Cusm; 02-16-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a horrible lineup of headliners. The second tier bands are so much more intriguing.
Agree. You could throw out all the heavily bolded names and still have a freakin' awesome festival.
Old 02-17-10, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I just got my ticket this week. I am camping and this will be my first festival besides the local 1 day with smaller & local acts. Very pumped, and I will get to grab some In & Out Burger while I am out there.
You should expect to have an amazing time! This isn't the first music festival I've attended, but it's my favorite by far. The one festival I plan to attend each year, regardless of the lineup (well, I guess it could end up really bad one year...but that hasn't happened yet).

I've never camped...but I hear the experience is awesome. Just be prepared to wake up early every morning from the sun hitting your tent and warming things up.
Old 02-20-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want to go so bad last year, one of my favorite line ups they have ever had, but the wife was not working and we had no money so no way I could. My sister lives about 10 min away, but no way I could handle crashing with her for the whole weekend, but I will be able to use her shower when we arrive and before we head out.
I really wish that Jay Z was not headlining, but the under-cards are AWESOME! Sunday already looks like a nightmare, I hope they move some of those to Friday or Saturday, because that is the day I can see me having the most conflicts.
Old 04-13-10, 01:16 AM

Sold out! Just FYI...
Old 04-13-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I know..I know they've got a lot of fans on this board but I just don't get the Vampire Weekend craze...can someone please explain the appeal ??
Old 04-13-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I know..I know they've got a lot of fans on this board but I just don't get the Vampire Weekend craze...can someone please explain the appeal ??
you're just not cool enough to "get" it
Old 04-13-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
People like their music.
Old 04-13-10, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
Sold out! Just FYI...
Got my tix two weeks ago in the nick of time, so stoked to be going again!!!
Old 04-13-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We leave tomorrow around 4, should get in around 9 or 10. Gonna spend some time with my sis and go check in and get our camping spot. I am a ilttle bummed over some of the conflicts, Pavement or Gary Neman and plenty of more.
Old 04-13-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOL! What's John Waters going to be doing? Talking about movies at a music festival?!??!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.