Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Post or answer musics' most puzzling questions.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this girl's first or last name? Is it India Arie or Arie India? What parent's give their daughter a "." for a middle name?

How can rappers/hip-hopers be so rich and talented at rhyming, but have such poor grammer and spelling skills?

How can the Grammy's justify their "new artist of the year" award to people who already have 2 or more cd's released and been "out and about" for more than a year?

Speaking of which, did the Grammy people ever give a acceptable answer for that Jethro Tull-Heavy metal artist of the year fiasco of a few years back?

Whatever happened to Guns-n-Roses?

Does Don Henley, Billy Joel, Sheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks really believe we're going to feel sorry for them because they don't make enough money from their recording contracts?

Is there really a neccessity to seperate Christian and Gospel music at record stores?

How is it that Britney Spears can reveal nothing and be so sexual while Wendy O'Williams would bare all and nobody cared?

and finally:

Mariah Carey + big $$ contract - Glitter =
Old 02-24-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Post or answer musics' most puzzling questions.

Originally posted by POWERBOMB How can the Grammy's justify their "new artist of the year" award to people who already have 2 or more cd's released and been "out and about" for more than a year?
I've always wondered about that ?. I mean last year they gave the award to Shelby Lynne and she's been releasing CDs for over 10 years. When she changed her sound, she started get more popular.
Old 02-24-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry no answers - just more questions:

Where do the "extra" lyrics for Mony Mony come from? (i.e. Get laid, get f****d!)

Why does someone yell "Freebird" at every concert while people are yelling requests at the band? I mean why's it always that particular song?
Old 02-24-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
Sorry no answers - just more questions:

Where do the "extra" lyrics for Mony Mony come from? (i.e. Get laid, get f****d!)

Why does someone yell "Freebird" at every concert while people are yelling requests at the band? I mean why's it always that particular song?
Would this be all concerts, or just Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts? If the former, than I have no answer for you, if the latter, however, than it is probably simply because it is one of their most famous and well-liked songs and at a concert with thousands of people, a song like that is obviously going to be requested.

Originally posted by POWERBOMBHow can rappers/hip-hopers be so rich and talented at rhyming, but have such poor grammer and spelling skills?
Not necessarily true. This is a generalized stereotype. While I do not like most of the hip-hop music that is out there, some of it is very intelligent and the people who perform it are not necessarily very rich and often times better educated (or at least come of as being so) than you and I. If you are curious about who I am referring to, let me know, I will be more than happy to continue this discussion.

Dan
Old 02-25-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cokeguy

Would this be all concerts, or just Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts? If the former, than I have no answer for you, if the latter, however, than it is probably simply because it is one of their most famous and well-liked songs and at a concert with thousands of people, a song like that is obviously going to be requested.
All concerts. Maybe it's just an Illinois/Midwest thing, but I've been to a number of concerts in my life where as the crowd is cheering some joker needs to yell "Freebird!" at the top of his lungs. Although, I haven't been too many concerts lately, so I don't know- maybe this "joke" is dying out?
Old 02-25-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually. when some of the local bands ask if the crowd has any requests, someone almost always yells out for "Freebird" or "Stairway To Heaven."
Old 02-25-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Who put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong?
Old 02-25-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by POWERBOMB

Is there really a neccessity to seperate Christian and Gospel music at record stores?
I think it would be ok if they seperated gospel -- as in real gospel music, which is in fact its own genre of music. But, I don't believe its necessary to seperate "Christian" music from the mainstream. In fact, I would say there shouldn't even really be a "Christian" genre or sub genre. Why the label? Lots of bands who have a spiritual or Christian message have managed to be successful without hanging on to a Christian label -- Creed, Lifehouse, Arrested Development, etc.