Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roland Orzabal(ex-Tears For Fears)...WOW!!! What and album!!!!!!!!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-01-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the chance to pick up the new(actually, it came out in 2001) Roland Orzabal CD and wow, my God....it has been awhile since I've been so excited.

I recommend this album to anyone who likes music at least a bit. I am sure you'll find something for yourself. Tunes ranging from Depeche Mode to Radiohead-esque aura, to Portishead to even a mix of Oakenfold and Coldplay. Can you believe that this guy was in a 80's band that rocked Europe.

Please, please check it out!! Kill Love is amazing, Low life is beautiful......total music escapism!!!!!!!!!

Fans of Tears for Fears should not miss this. Esp. if they are looking for something new. If you never had a chance to listen to this group in their prime.....give it a shot!!!!!!
Old 02-01-02, 08:38 PM

Which one was Roland? Was he the lead singer?
Old 02-01-02, 08:44 PM

Initially Roland and Kurt shared the vocals even though Roland was the real talent and wrote the tunes. Kurt was the 'pretty' one (Wham!'s Andrew Ridgely if you will). Only the first two of their albums had any real Kurt input, their third had minimal input, and the fourth on - had none, it was Roland using the name. Now he is solo, it is still essentially Tears For Fears anyway.

Terry
Old 02-02-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Out of curiosity, does this album contain the track featured toward the end of the film Donnie Darko ? If yes, it's a major selling point for me. That song is amazing.

Unfortunately I don't know the name and can't find reference to the songs on the strk.
Old 02-06-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Roland did almost everything in the band. Which was pretty clear the first time I saw TFF without Curt. And those two exchanged some very nasty remarks to one another after they parted ways. Which can be heard in many of their songs. But fortunately for them (and any TFF fan) they have made up and there is a planned TFF reunion. At least an album. Both Curt and Roland are almost finished writing a new album. I'm not sure if this means it's recorded too. But as of last Fall, it was halfway finished. According to Curt's official website for his band Mayfield. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very excited about this. And for the record pro-bassoonist, TFF were pretty damn big in the U.S. too for several years there in the 80's
Old 03-04-02, 03:29 PM

Donnie Darko

With regards to the question about the Tears for Fears song from Donnie Darko, the name of the tune is "Mad World." The version used in Donnie Darko is a cover done by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews. You can find the song on Gary Jules' new album and you can also find it on the Soundtrack to Donnie Darko. The Soundtrack contains all the original music in the film (composed by Michael Andrews) as well as two versions of the Mad World track (one is a remix).

I doubt that the Jules/Andrews cover would appear on a Tears for Fears record.

Hope that helps.

P.S. The video for the Mad World remake will be on the upcoming Darko DVD and there's a chance that VH-1 will pick it up.