Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The craziest live show YOU ever saw?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-28-02, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not who has the reputation for having crazy shows, but one you were at. Like if you were at that Toronto GNR/Metallica show when everyone started rioting.

For me, I would say the GWAR show I saw on Saturday was the weirdest/craziest/best show I ever saw. The only thing that could top it would be another GWAR show.

2nd place would be certain bands during Woodstock 99 (not Limp Bizkit because that was so overrated!) because people were throwing bottles and stuff and it was pretty sucky. Also because of the size of this show...oh, and lets not forget the riots.
Old 01-28-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm gonna have to go with G. G. Allin again (see evil music thread).

Here is the story...

For those from Chicago you may remember a radio show host named Jonathan Brandmeier. Well he had a lacky that he would send around and do different stupid things for him, his name was Jimmy "Bud" Wieser. So I go to this G.G. Allin show to see what it's all about because Brandmeier is sort of friends with this guy and always talking to him on the air. Anyway I get to the show and I see Jimmy Budwieser there and I go over to talk to him. We talk for a while and he tells me that Brandmeier wants him to call the shows voicemail during the show from the front row. Brandmeier knowing full well what was going to happen.

Anyway out comes G.G. Allin and the music gets going and Jimmy pushes his way to the front and calls. After a couple of songs Allin goes into a discussion of how he hates the people in the audience and how much he hates himself and the world around him. He begins to cut himself with razors and shout that everyone in the audience is his enemy. A now bleeding Allin squats and takes a big crap on the stage. He rubs it all over his face, eats some of it, and throws the rest into the crowd. Allin is now bleeding profusely and covered in sh*t, at which point he strips naked and pisses on the people in the front row, Jimmy being one of them.

Well that was my cue to leave. Needless to say the next day on the radio was absolutely hilarious because you hear Jimmy screaming into the phoemail..."HE'S PISSING ME!!! HE'S PISSING ON ME".

That was the craziest display of anything I have ever seen.

Last edited by palebluedot; 01-28-02 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-28-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been to quite a few concerts that you'd expect to be fairly violent/crazy...Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Fugazi, Korn, Tool, Deftones, etc. Strangely enough, though, the craziest show I ever saw was by the Violent Femmes in 93 or 94. It was simply awful. People were intentionally pushing people over and stepping on them. Quite a few people were kicked out of the show, and quite a few were carried out on stretchers. I was right in front of the stage when "Blister in the Sun" started, and I think it was the only time I've ever been afraid at a concert. I really thought I was gonna be crushed.

I went to the show expecting a bunch of college rock geeks. Got something entirely different. Does anyone know if Femmes concerts are usually this way, or did I experience something really weird?
Old 01-28-02, 01:51 PM

PBD: Wow! I'm going to have to read up on that GG Allen guy. Think I heard his name before. That is some serious stuff! You see crap and blood at GWAr but its all fake.

Gdrlv: You would be suprised at some of the heavier shows that people are more safe in the pit. They tend to look out for one another. But it depends on the crowd. Don't know why the Femmes show was that way but it made me think of the Cure would be like that too?
Old 01-28-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm sure this is mild, but I've only been to one concert
Garbage in Cleveland in Nov 1998

people were crowd surfing up to the edge of the stage, where they got dropped into a fenced off area so they could walk back to the side of the crowd. One guy tried jumping on stage and the security guy put him in a choke hold. Pretty funny
Old 01-28-02, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Deftones at a small club. There was literally no way out of the insane crowd. I saw many girls faint cause there was so much crowd force. I also got kicked in the face
Old 01-28-02, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I also got kicked in the face
Cool! I got a boot to the face and a bloody nose at a Fishbone show.
Old 01-28-02, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by palebluedot

Cool! I got a boot to the face and a bloody nose at a Fishbone show.
Arent concerts great
Old 01-28-02, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool

Arent concerts great
Yeah, there was nothing better than fighting traffic, people and paying $45 to get kicked in the face. In the end though it's always worth it.
Old 01-28-02, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've witnessed a lot of mayhem and insanity at shows over the years, but the craziest thing I ever saw was at a Lunachicks concert. At the end of their set, the lead singer reached into her underpants, pulled out a tampon, and threw it into the crowd. People were freaking out, and I was laughing my ass off.
Old 01-28-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
marilyn manson in Toronto . . .

oi - i'd say when he started pissing on stage and you are in the front row it gets pretty crazy as everyone starts to duck! ! !

Old 01-28-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen many brawls etc at concerts but the scariest
situation was at an Aerosmith/Deep Purple/GnR at Giants
Stadium.

During 'Smoke on the Water' some idiots decided to light
the seats on fire. I'm on the field, which was general admission,
wondering if people are going to start freaking out if they saw the
blaze coming from the stands.
Old 01-28-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
also - i think if anyone was at the last woodstock then that would top us all
Old 01-28-02, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
also - i think if anyone was at the last woodstock then that would top us all
Scroll up. Keep going. More, more! At the top? Ok!

P.S. I should scan my pics one day. Some crazy shite.
Old 01-28-02, 04:21 PM

SLAYER-in an indoor club 1700 capacity or less. Nuff said

I saw a guy jump from a 2nd floor balcony into the pit during a Deftones show.

NIN-Peole throwing chairs all over the place after ripping them up in the pit and Trent egging them on.
Old 01-28-02, 04:24 PM

Marilyn Manson..

Believe it or not..Warrant back in '96..it was the first time they toured in awhile..it was in club..the crowd was ROWDY..

Motley Crue in 97 ..they did listening parties where they played the whole new album live in a smaller venue (Roseland in NYC)
The place was INSANE..I got tossed all over the place..I loved it..
Old 01-28-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the story...snip...Well that was my cue to leave. Needless to say the next day on the radio was absolutely hilarious because you hear Jimmy screaming into the phoemail..."HE'S PISSING ME!!! HE'S PISSING ON ME".

That was the craziest display of anything I have ever seen.
Was that around December of '88? My friend tried talking me into going to that show, but (knowing a little about G.G. Allin) I refused. He went alone. When he came back, he refused to tell me what happened, said "You don't want to know".
Old 01-28-02, 05:53 PM

Butthole Surfers in Vancouver ('87 ?) . After Gibby (singer) did his usual lighting of his hands on fire, and the nude dancer did her thing, some idiot woman got on stage and stabbed Gibby!!
He was none too pleased and stormed off not to return!
Also in Vancouver also mid 80's, although not too crazy, but kinda cool was Albert Collins at the Town Pump taking his guitar for a solo through the club and out into the street while still wailing away!! He even talked to people in their cars as they stopped to see what was happening!!
Old 01-28-02, 07:28 PM

yes, i believe G.G. probably put on the craziest shows, EVER. i've seen some on tape, never in person though. the poor bastard's dead now.

i think crash worship tops my list of wildest concerts. loud tribal drumming, fire, smoke, firecrackers, trapeze swingers, naked chicks on large fruit platters pouring wine on people. total insanity.
Old 01-29-02, 01:32 AM

Anybody ever been to an Impotent Sea Snakes show?
Old 01-31-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the craziest things I ever saw was after a Smashing Pumpkins/Garbage show. This guy took a head first dive into a giant pile of folding metal chairs trying to catch Jimmy Chamberlains drum stick. We were all standing around like "What the f**k?"
He was busted open and all that....but he got the stick and that's all that matters.
Old 01-31-02, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Megadeth. They were part of a concert that had a bunch of bands, and they were the final band. A friend and I got about 2 to 3 rows away from the stage, and two seconds after Megadeth began to play the mosh pit began. We were both crushed in it, got felt up , and were tossed around to the point of it hurting wicked badly. So, my friend pretended she was gonna vomit, and I yelled "She's gonna puke. Let us out!" ..and let us out they did...fast.
Old 01-31-02, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By far it was Jimmy Buffet at irvine Meadows. Lots of stones and drunk people and girls wearing next to nothing
Old 01-31-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by woofman
NIN-Peole throwing chairs all over the place after ripping them up in the pit and Trent egging them on.
Hey I saw that show. At the old Boston Garden. Scary, scary.

Otherwise, one of the wildest shows I've been to was the first Jane's Addiction reunion tour at the Aragon Ballroom here in Chicago. It was near Halloween and the Smashing Pumpkins came out before Jane's as a surprise guest. The crowd went apesh*t and I was stuck midway between the front of the stage and the soundboard, desperately trying to make my way to the columns on the outer edge of the venue. My glasses got knocked off and I had to dive down, virtually blind, and feel around on the floor to find them. Incredibly they were intact.

I spent the rest of the concert safely at the back of the venue - watching Perry freak out for a bit on whatever psychedelic he was on that night.
Old 01-31-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
U-Fest 96 here in Phoenix. Full scale riot during the Deftones set. Tear gas was used. Very cool!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.