Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-21-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Nickelback,

You guys totally wail. I love that "Hanging by a Moment" song. Truly great. That "I love the way you smack my ass" lyric in that song totally cracks me up. I mean, I can't imagine ever singing that to a chick! I'm just really glad you guys got My Sacrifice on the radio. I bought your CD, "Break the Cycle", after Hanging by a Moment first came out and I listened to My Sacrifice (I think it's track #8 on that CD) and knew you guys would eventually get it to the radio since it was a totally catchy song, just like the first song you guys put out, "Kryptonite". Speaking of which, I love the album that song was on too. But one question, why was it called "Infest"??

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Regards,

DTSC
Old 01-21-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny guy, funny!
Old 01-22-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude! Nickelback is awesome! I crank it in my 73 camaro and the girls come flocking my way. Canada Rocks!!!
Old 01-22-02, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice, though I'm one of the brave Creed fans, so boo to that. :ducking for cover:
Old 01-22-02, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HAAHAHAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Fooking excellent!!!!

THat was very clever. Nickelback really does suck the worst out of all those bands that you referenced.

I DL'd the album and could barely get through it.

Then again, 3 Doors Down is awful......just plain sucks.
Old 01-22-02, 07:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Nickelback gets around.
Old 01-22-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See.. I don't like Creed or Nickleback.. But I like Lifehouse.
Old 01-22-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The singer from Nickelback looks like Tom Green with long hair.

These guys do blow by the way
Old 01-22-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They all suck, except Puddle Of Mudd
Old 01-22-02, 04:10 PM

Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Originally posted by DTSC
Dear Nickelback,

You guys totally wail. I love that "Hanging by a Moment" song. Truly great. That "I love the way you smack my ass" lyric in that song totally cracks me up. I mean, I can't imagine ever singing that to a chick! I'm just really glad you guys got My Sacrifice on the radio. I bought your CD, "Break the Cycle", after Hanging by a Moment first came out and I listened to My Sacrifice (I think it's track #8 on that CD) and knew you guys would eventually get it to the radio since it was a totally catchy song, just like the first song you guys put out, "Kryptonite". Speaking of which, I love the album that song was on too. But one question, why was it called "Infest"??

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Regards,

DTSC
It's funny how the guy who listens to crappy pop-punk bands like the Ataris and many others that all sound exactly the same feels the need to attack mainstream bands who may have a similar sound (not similar to The Ataris, but similar to one another). I hate the bands you (indirectly) mentioned too, but I would take a look at my own CD collection before saying something stupid like you did.
Old 01-22-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Originally posted by DanteLC

It's funny how the guy who listens to crappy pop-punk bands like the Ataris and many others that all sound exactly the same feels the need to attack mainstream bands who may have a similar sound (not similar to The Ataris, but similar to one another). I hate the bands you (indirectly) mentioned too, but I would take a look at my own CD collection before saying something stupid like you did.

I couldnt have said it better myself. Ataris and the similar pop-punk bands sound the same as well as some of the mainstream bands.
Old 01-22-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

see.. I kinda like the Ataris too.

Old 01-23-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did I ever say that my bland pop-punk that I listen to didn't all sound the same and is creative and imaginative?

No.

So shut your pie hole and get a sense of humor before YOU say something stupid.

Oops, you already did.

Last edited by El Scorcho; 01-23-02 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-23-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

wow, that's funny, I'm pretty sure we were discussing the merits of Nickelback and not the Ataris. Mods, can we get an IP check here?
Old 01-23-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Originally posted by Deftones17

wow, that's funny, I'm pretty sure we were discussing the merits of Nickelback and not the Ataris. Mods, can we get an IP check here?
Funny how he's a newbie yet he knows that the Ataris are my favorite band.
Old 01-23-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

exactamundo!
Old 01-23-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's funny. Rolling Stone has a mini-article on the sad state of finances in the music industry this week. It seems the big music companies didn't make so much money this year. Their profit margins didn't expand comfortably enough as they had in the past.

DTSC: Perhaps you should send your open letter to Rolling Stone (or these corporate stooges that foist this cookie-cutter crap on the mainstream).

How do they expect to make the big $$$ if the consumer can't tell the groups apart?

And why should anyone buy these albums when the hit singles are played incessantly round the clock on every single radio station on the dial?

Variety is the spice of life. I would hope. Except to a music industry suit.
Old 01-23-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DTSC, you had me rollin'. Great "open letter" to all those shite bands who think they are rockers of intelligence. They are the reasons as to why I don't listen to the radio very much.

'Never made it as a rich man, never made it as poor man stealing and this is how you '

God I hate this crap!
Old 01-23-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutely hilarious! My feelings exactly. I was waiting for your next Open Letter and I really don't think you could have scraped the bottom of the barrel any lower. Honestly, this Nickelback band is no better than the rash of wanna-be Britney Spears girls.
It's just connect-the-dots rock music. I honestly believe that rock music on the radio is at an all time low since I started listening 25 years ago.

I'm sure DTSC would also not be crazy about the rash of little punk bands that all sound the same either. BUT, given the choice, I know that I would choose a sound that is fun and silly over these bands who take themselves so seriously. Jeez.

I'm going to stop now. I'm feeling a HEAVY dose of nasty words about to be typed and I wanna....have....more....control.
Old 01-23-02, 06:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Hmm...maybe I've been lurking for a while?

Anyway, I didn't mean for my previous comments to sound like a personal attack, but what you are doing is similar to eating at Burger King while mocking McDonald's. Crap is crap, no matter how popular it is or what genre it comes from. I realize that you weren't talking about the Ataris in your open letter, but they're just as crappy as Nickelback, Papa Roach, and all those other bands.
Old 01-23-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Hmm...maybe I've been lurking for a while?

Anyway, I didn't mean for my previous comments to sound like a personal attack, but what you are doing is similar to eating at Burger King while mocking McDonald's. Crap is crap, no matter how popular it is or what genre it comes from. I realize that you weren't talking about the Ataris in your open letter, but they're just as crappy as Nickelback, Papa Roach, and all those other bands.
I'm sure you listen to *wonderful* music, but I'd crap on it regardless. I think it's funny to crap on any music. Who cares what he listens to he can still pick out the sucky bands like the best of them.
Old 01-23-02, 07:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

Originally posted by Alyoshka

I'm sure you listen to *wonderful* music, but I'd crap on it regardless. I think it's funny to crap on any music. Who cares what he listens to he can still pick out the sucky bands like the best of them.
I typically don't listen to any music. Admiring my physical perfection in the mirror is entertainment enough.
Old 01-23-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A special mid-week Open Letter from DTSC

I typically don't listen to any music. Admiring my physical perfection in the mirror is entertainment enough.
about the only post you've made that I think makes any sense.

Old 01-23-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by crooksha
agreed!

Old 01-23-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a reminder since DanteLC is having a difficult time understanding a simple concept -- this thread is a joke.

I'm in no place to criticize a band until I learn to write my own 4-chord wonders myself.

Yes, the music all sounds the same, but as Pikul has said many times over in this forum -- there's plenty of great music out there, you just have to go looking for it. You're not gonna find it on MTV or the radio.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.